Stacked Construction...height?

Decorating By cinnamon Updated 13 Jan 2005 , 8:14pm by oldboots

cinnamon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinnamon Posted 12 Dec 2004 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 11

For a Jan. 01 wedding I am doing the wedding cake from wilton's 2002 yearbook, page 53- Roses and Lace Romance. When you figure out the height and size of this cake it is actually a large picture...they say make the roses 7/8 in wide- the roses are almost that wide in the picture. This picture is deceiving as people think...that is a good size cake but in reality, the bottom layer is 4, the other three are 3- with icing on it you still only get a cake around...16 inches high... So what I want to know is how do you all make your cakes look taller when it is stacked construction? I have looked through a few books and see where they may set the bottom plate on pillars or use a plate with legs...etc...
I went to my nephew's wedding last year and they had a stacked construction cake, it seemed lost in the room. I am open to any suggestions as generally speaking I do cakes with seperator plates, pillars as that is what I have been asked to do....Thanks aforetime for any suggestions. BTW...does anyone have the pattern for the lace on the side of this cake? I can make a pattern if necessary but it surely would be nice to have it premade. Thanks again!

10 replies
Godiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godiva Posted 12 Dec 2004 , 10:28pm
post #2 of 11

Tiered cakes are the latest trend now...Rarely exposed pillars, and separators when stuffed with flowers. Adding flowers between tiers can add visual height t your cake without it being outdated. Also too, in regards to the height of each tier, I prefer to make them between 4 - 5" high each, including the very top.
Not only will it look taller, but the guests will be happy to get that extra bite! icon_biggrin.gif

cinnamon Posted 13 Dec 2004 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 11

Thank you Godiva...I was actually thinking of a 4-5 inch height also...just not sure of the new trends...appreciate your reply!!

Godiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godiva Posted 13 Dec 2004 , 10:19pm
post #4 of 11

Sure..
There is also this website I love, where you can browse through their extensive gallery and get more ideas.
www.justfabulous.com

kate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kate Posted 15 Dec 2004 , 6:15pm
post #5 of 11

You can use something to lift your cake up like you were saying, with a stand or it also looks nice to build a platform with glass blocks or bricks and then cover with table cloths bunched up to cover them. It gives the cake more height without detracting from it. Many of the hotel reception rooms do this here and it looks really nice. You could use anything to form the base since it's covered as long as it's stable. I like the tall tiers too, I make mine between four and five inches tall.

kate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kate Posted 15 Dec 2004 , 6:20pm
post #6 of 11

If you go almost to the bottom of my cake page you'll see one done with the bricks covered in table cloths. It's the square with roses cake. www.thecakeshoppe.blogspot.com

cinnamon Posted 16 Dec 2004 , 2:20am
post #7 of 11

Thanks Kate! Lovely work...the cakes with the cascades of pink roses on stacked construction reminded me of one I made about 24 years ago for my sister in law for her wedding. She was saying the other day it was her absolute favorite wedding cake of all time. Of course there are no pictures...all I really remember is I did use the stair steps and after a few months the steps began to yellow. I wasn't sure how to clean them so someone had told me to boil them with something or other and didn't I forget them on the burner-they boiled dry!! We couldn't get the smell out of the house for a long time after and that was the one and only cake I did with the stairsteps.

cinnamon Posted 28 Dec 2004 , 2:40pm
post #8 of 11

This cake is due this Saturday and I am working on the stephanotis and roses. I started out with making them from fondant and will complete the stephanotis with fondant. I made Bunnywoman's MMF recipe, a real help after using the other fondants. That stuff is like working with kids playdoh- wonderful!! Yet...even more elastic! The stephanotis is turning out great but I need aruond 150 so will get back at that today. The gal who ordered this cake wants a white pound with the bottom layer being 16 in.. It is going to take a lot of work. They want to eat this cake and I find that even though the MMF is better I still do not enjoy the taste compared to a good buttercream. I am opting to make my roses from buttercream, using a tip 127 with a good size centre base. I started making the fondant roses yesterday and they looked lovely but to tell you the truth the lady preferred buttercream and as I figured..hmm...about 100 fondant roses at this speed...nah...buttercream it will be! The large buttercream roses turned out lovely- she also wants an ivory color- and today I will work on some medium and small ones. I do not understand why fondant is pushed so strongly these days...I guess the smooth seamless lines and paper thin petals with roses, but where I live most people do not even know what fondant is. Perhaps it is the 30 years of working with buttercream...and yeah...fondant is great for special affects so I will continue to use it for that- shapes, molding, etc..

cinnamon Posted 3 Jan 2005 , 1:28pm
post #9 of 11

Well...finished...delivered! Yay! This cake weighed in at 35 lbs! When the gal came to pick up a Spiderman cake made for the rehearsal party (a joke for hubby to be) I showed her the bottom 16 inch layer and she decided we could go styrofoam for the next layer. People have no idea how big a 16 inch layer is. The top two were still cake though. I also had to do a slab cake cut and boxed. It took me probably close to 20 hrs to make this cake, nothing fast about it. I was very pleased with the finished height. TY again for all of your input.

VickiC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiC Posted 3 Jan 2005 , 6:57pm
post #10 of 11

Did you post a picture-I can't wait to see the finished product!

oldboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oldboots Posted 13 Jan 2005 , 8:14pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kate

If you go almost to the bottom of my cake page you'll see one done with the bricks covered in table cloths. It's the square with roses cake. www.thecakeshoppe.blogspot.com

Beautiful cakes Kate!!!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%