Wedding Cake Pricing...need Help!!

Decorating By bellejoey Updated 16 Jun 2007 , 5:00pm by prterrell

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 1:53pm
post #1 of 10

Hey Everyone! I REALLY need a little help with pricing a wedding cake that I will be doing in the next couple of weeks. I am really bad at pricing, in fact my DH says that I practically give them away for free! LOL..so...any help on pricing would be greatly appreciated. I am working with a lady who's daughter is getting married. She would like a 2-tier cake to feed 60 people. The flavors she chose would be a white cake filled with lemon curd and fresh raspberries and iced in swiss meringue buttercream. She directed me to a site where she loves all of the cake pics there...Cinderella cakes...and it looks like most of here choices are stacked tiered cakes. She has a cake topper already and a cake stand, so I am just wondering what on earth I would even charge. It's not alot of people...just 60 or so.....so any ideas would be great!!! Thanks in advance!
icon_wink.gif

9 replies
bellejoey Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:19pm
post #2 of 10

Bump myself....icon_smile.gif

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 3:41pm
post #3 of 10

for 60 people i would charge between 150-180 depending on the design. but im in ohio, so in CA you should prolly charge more than that. i don't know what the standard is out there, but maybe 180-240? thats just a guess based on what i've heard from other CA CCers!

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 3:50pm
post #4 of 10

I live in dallas which is pricey area we can get away with charging 2.00 - 3.50 depending on butter cream or fondant hope that helps

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 3:50pm
post #5 of 10

I would charge between $4 and $5 a slice and then add on for any decorations you add that would add to the cost of making it and your time.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 3:53pm
post #6 of 10

Check a few bakeries in your area to find out what they would charge and use that as a baseline. Some of the prices quoted in the forums would never fly in my area! You have to be happy with what you charge, but you have to also be reasonable.

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 3:58pm
post #7 of 10

Figure out your costs and multiply by three . That will give you your cost for the cake itself. Then add on for extras...decorations...etc.

dakjack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dakjack Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 3:59pm
post #8 of 10

I too will be making a wedding cake (for my sister) in Sept. and I too was wondering what the going rate is. (I wont be charging her the full price but curious as to what the cost would be if I did).
I am from Pa. so if anyone else from Pa. could give me an estimate that would be great.
It is to serve 250-300 and will be choc. cake with choc BC and white cake with BC covered in fondant with swags and silk flowers.
Sorry to butt in on your thread bellejoey - just had the same question. thanks

bellejoey Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 4:49pm
post #9 of 10

Wow! okay! That really helps alot! Thank you everyone for the quick responses. My DH wants to charge a fortune (of course..he's the husband!LOL) But now I have a really good idea! Thank you again! I also like the add up your cost and multiply that as well. DakJack....good luck on your cake as well, and hope you decide on a great price also! Okay....off I go to figure out how many lemons I'll need for that curd! LOL! Went to the market...can you believe they wanted a $1.00 a lemon! Geez! I'll shop around of course...but Geez!! LOL!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 5:00pm
post #10 of 10

For very simple decos, my price for that cake would be $195. If the decos are more intricate, the price would go up considerably.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%