Mil Says I Have No Talent...maybe I Don't

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 19 Jun 2007 , 1:15am by guerrosos

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 127

My MIL says I have no talent in the cake department but says they taste good. icon_sad.gif Makes me sad that I thought I was getting somewhere with this but maybe not. She asked me to bring a Father's Day cake today to a dinner tonight but she probably won't like the looks of it either. I am posting it on here, but don't expect comments on it. It just hurts when someone says something like that to you. Especially when you think you try as hard as you can at something. I feel for my DH. How did he survive this woman while he was groing up. I try not to let her bother me but....it does. Sorry just a sob, feel sorry for myself story.

Thanks for reading and letting me put my feelings down on here so I don't take it out on DH
LL

126 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 1:37pm
post #2 of 127

I think your MIL should keep her mouth shut.Your cake is great...as good as any I have seen here!!!Don't you dare stop cake decoarating because of one rude person!!!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 1:48pm
post #3 of 127

<---very green .... with jealousy! Those borders are so excellent and creative!

next time miss doom and gloom says something about your cakes, just had her the icing bag and say, fine...do it better.

put up or shut up!

Cujo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cujo Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 1:51pm
post #4 of 127

I agree your cake looks great! Sometimes you just have to consider the source, so what can you expect from a MIL!

Telling her to see if she can do it better is a great idea!

Karate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karate Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 1:58pm
post #5 of 127

First of all your cake is awesome, those borders are wonderful and I am with Doug (green with envy)

Dont stop, if you love it....keep on going. I am not the best but I love it. Now that I have my wrist surgery I can start practicing and trying new things again myself and cant wait.

I have a wonderful mother in law and actually she is where I am learning some tricks, so if she ever said (not that she would) anything bad, it wouldnt work to hand her the bag, because she could do better! LOL

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:00pm
post #6 of 127

All your cakes look great - I think you're an excellent decorator ( I can't pipe to save myself !! ) icon_lol.gif

Ignore her ...I know, I know, easy to say !!

julesn20716 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesn20716 Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:05pm
post #7 of 127

I think your cake looks great - I really want a slice! Don't give up just because she is hurtful - I'm sure you have plenty of others around you who think you do a great job. Listen to the postivie people in your life, not the negative ones!

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:05pm
post #8 of 127

This cake is great! Don't let her get you down. Some people feel so bad about THEMSELVES that they have to put other people down or talk about them in a mean way to make themselves feel better or justify their actions.

It looks great!

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:06pm
post #9 of 127

i once had a MIL like that, that DH wouldn't ever support me or back me up with her and that marriage lasted 6 months, she was awful. my MIL now is wonderful..... don't listen to her, your work is amazing and in your heart you know you are a great decorator...chin up the cake is lovely

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:07pm
post #10 of 127

Your cakes are so cute, and you do a great job with them. That was really just a mean (and untrue) thing for her to say. I'm sorry she hurt you. I find it completely ironic that one minute she tells you that you have no talent and the next minute she is asking you to bring a cake. crazy! Just let it roll off you, and if I were you, I wouldn't bring her any more cakes after this.

jeffer01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeffer01 Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:07pm
post #11 of 127

icon_biggrin.gif Your cake is wonderful, beautiful lettering and borders....I would LOVE to have my borders that perfect!!!!!

I think you have my exMIL (one reason she is now EX!!!), because they sound the same....always nagging and running her mouth.....hard to ignore!!!

Please do not let this get you down, your cakes are great (MUCH better than mine) and I do not want you to stop! You have talent and you should share it....just not with her! Now I will be catty.......don't let her have cake icon_lol.gif

Interesting that she wants you to bring a cake when she doesn't think you have talent!!!!! YOU DO!!

Strazle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Strazle Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:07pm
post #12 of 127

Your cake looks great!

Maybe she is coming down on your CD skills because you are a good person who doesn't give her reason to complain about you personally so this is the only thing she could pounce on.....?

Anyway, take pride in yourself and smile!

zoomitoons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomitoons Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:07pm
post #13 of 127

I think your MIL is smoking something that's clouding her mind a lot. your cakes are beautiful and you definatley talented. don't let her or anyone else tell you otherwise.
Amy

poptart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poptart Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:07pm
post #14 of 127

I agree it is definately jealously. All of your cakes are beautiful!!

Shayenne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shayenne Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:07pm
post #15 of 127

I agree with Kiddiekakes and don't worry all your cakes looks great not only this one so don't stop you are excellent.

makenice99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makenice99 Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:11pm
post #16 of 127

Your cake is beautiful. It's chocolate, a women best friend. I agree with Doug. Don't listen to her. Your work is beautiful get some orders and flash your cash in her face and tell her only people with taste would know talent. Sorry you have to put up with her. But we you CC family believes in you. thumbs_up.gif

carabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carabear Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:13pm
post #17 of 127

I just wanted to let you know that I looked at your pictures and I thought every single one of them was well done! Don't stop decorating! Often people make remarks when they are jelous. Maybe she has a hard time excepting how incredibly talented you are! Your one cake where you copied the baby invitation is sooo adorable! Keep it up!

monkee73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monkee73 Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:16pm
post #18 of 127

What a nasty thing to say, I love your cake it's great!! Let it go in one ear and out the other!!!

Keep up the good work thumbs_up.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:19pm
post #19 of 127

Yes.. boooooo hisssssss!!!! What a wicked woman. Your cake looks great.. all of your cakes look great.. I loved the mother's day one.. made me chuckle. She's probably jealous. Just keep piping girl.. ignore her crap. I'd love to have a yummy chocolate cake like that.. with such a nice reverse shell border.. ((hugs))

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:20pm
post #20 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

My MIL says I have no talent in the cake department but says they taste good. icon_sad.gif Makes me sad that I thought I was getting somewhere with this but maybe not. She asked me to bring a Father's Day cake today to a dinner tonight but she probably won't like the looks of it either. I am posting it on here, but don't expect comments on it. It just hurts when someone says something like that to you. Especially when you think you try as hard as you can at something. I feel for my DH. How did he survive this woman while he was groing up. I try not to let her bother me but....it does. Sorry just a sob, feel sorry for myself story.

Thanks for reading and letting me put my feelings down on here so I don't take it out on DH

if she thinks you have no talent, why would you agree to bring a cake at her request. Just sweetly tell her that since she's told you that she thinks your cakes aren't up to par, you think she'll be happier getting it somewhere else.

heidisuesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidisuesmom Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:20pm
post #21 of 127

I really like your cakes Christi, and in visiting with you on some of your posts I get the impression you are a great person. Don't let her comments bother you, she sounds like a very spiteful person (Haven't you posted about her before?). You did a great job on this cake!
Now, I'll try to throw in a little humor here. This cake was posted on another thead the other day by Lazy_Susan and I think this is the cake your MIL should recieve...
http://www.zefrank.com/theshow/gallery/v/worst_ever/BDayCake.jpg.html

Maybe that would shut her up!!!!!!

Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:26pm
post #22 of 127

Lol, I agree with you heidisuesmom......that cake was made for the mean MIL icon_evil.gif ....I also think your cake (cakes) look great....don't listen to her and keep on decorating thumbs_up.gif You have a definite talent icon_smile.gif

juliecarman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliecarman Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:27pm
post #23 of 127

Please, Please, don't give that horrid woman the satisfaction of giving up something that: 1. You ARE very good at (we here should know)
2. You love to do
This woman obviously has issues that have nothing to do with your talent, more likely her lack of it! But I have to say, if it was me she said that to, I wouldn't have made a father's day cake at her request! (By the way, I am salivating over that Father's Day cake! GREAT JOB!!)

momof5kiki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof5kiki Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:27pm
post #24 of 127

My thoughts would be this. If she doesn't like it don't make cakes for her. Seriously show up without a cake, or Go to the store, and buy a wal mart cake :X Tell her you thought that the look was more important then taste LOL Then say do you think this is better then mine, I hope so, didn't want to disappoint you LOL. Say I thought that you might want a "professional caks" LOL. Then tell her that you will be baking no more cakes for her! She is nuts. Oh, and challange her to a cake decorating contest LOL.

dsoutherngirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsoutherngirl Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:29pm
post #25 of 127

Wow! That cake is gorgeous! She must be jealous! icon_smile.gif

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:29pm
post #26 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I think your MIL should keep her mouth shut.Your cake is great...as good as any I have seen here!!!Don't you dare stop cake decoarating because of one rude person!!!

Ditto!!! icon_biggrin.gif

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:32pm
post #27 of 127

I would tell ole MIL until she can do one as good as yours to hush her mouth, looks GREAT to me. thumbs_up.gif Don't give up because of a wind bag press on!!!!!!!!!!

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:33pm
post #28 of 127

I agree with everyone else, your cakes are great-don't listen to your MIL!
Keep on decorating! thumbs_up.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:35pm
post #29 of 127

she may get your cake (tho' she doesn't deserve it!)

But don't let her get your goat!

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:35pm
post #30 of 127

Your MIL (monster-in-law) doesn't know what she's talking about. I just looked in your photos, and your cakes are lovely. That father's day cake looks so delicious I'm drooling over here. Just ignore her & like the others said, QUIT MAKING HER FREE CAKES!!

Shelle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%