Mad Mad Mad (Long)

Decorating By tame Updated 21 Jun 2007 , 3:11am by tame

tame Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tame Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 12:16am
post #1 of 18

I am so upset that after I finishing posting this i am going to take a bc and go to bed. My supervisor order a cake from me last week for this week. She told me what kind of cake she wanted but was unsure of the dated that she wanted it . I knew it was going to be friday or saturday . The thing was she was going out of town and it was suppose to be for a family gathering. I work on friday so if she was going to get the cake friday she would have to pick it up before me leaving going to work. I ask her monday if she knew exactly what date and time she were to get the cake and she said was going to get back with me. She did not get back with the following date , so i had decided not to do the cake. Yet she did call me wed and told me she would me meet somewhere to get the cake friday on my way to work.. she had already ask me the cost of the cake and I told her the price of the cake last week. My thing is I have a handicape daughter she has cerebral plasy and is in a wheel chair. Well thursday when I got of of work I had to go to the store and get the items to finish the cake it is already a ten hour process for work each day . i work in another city. so after working 8 hrs and a hour drive to and from work I get off and goand get my daughter put her (big self) in her wheel chair and take her with me to store , which i had to put the items on the tray of her chair while i push the chair. Paid for the items with all the money that I had on me and then came back home got her together and put her to sleep and then started on the cake late that night, Finish the cake and went to bed being that I had to be at work the next day. The supervisor call me around 6:00 am and ask me was I still at the house I said yes was getting ready to leave out to drop daughter off. She said her cell phone was off and she was a local store around where I live . I told her to come on now before I leave to drop my daughter off. She pull up walk in the house I showed her the cake and she said she loved it pick up the box and walk out the door and said Oh I 'll drop your money off at by the job. She is off for the next two weeks and she had stated at first that she might not be returning. I had use my gas money to get the items for the cake and was counting on her to give me that money back so I could put gas in my car for work. Thing to top things off I get to work and another one of my co-works ask me were was her cake at (free) She thought just because her birthday was yesterday that I should have done her a cake free as my gift to her ( i almost C---- her out, yet I do not C--

17 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 12:29am
post #2 of 18

Wow....I can't believe how some people think!!! I would have said no..I'm sorry but the cost of the cake is due now...I'm sorry she left you shortchanged for money......Next time wait for payment before she takes the cake.

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 12:37am
post #3 of 18

Man, that is so hard. I am so sorry all that happened. I hope you get some rest...

bethyboop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethyboop Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 12:38am
post #4 of 18

she should have given you the money BEFORE you started her cake. probably akward for you being she was a supervisor. the nerve of you other co worker---how disrespectful!!!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 12:48am
post #5 of 18

I just don't know why people can't have the money ready when they pick up the cake??? They expect YOU to have the cake ready in time, why can people not have money?? I read this over and over. It just puzzles me why people are so rude. I mean maybe she is good for it, but still she wouldnt expect a store to give her the cake without payment.

tame Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 1:14am
post #6 of 18

My things was that she already knew the price of cake and all she kept telling me was don't forget her cake. Now the first thing she said when she call me to get the cakes was her cell phone was cut off ( a hint there) Now she is leaving going out of town and is suppose to be back at work in two weeks and that even if she comming back. I just could not believe the nerve of her. The cake is not loaded yet, its just that could she could have said that she did not have the money when she call me the first time but to come and get the cake and then tell me you are going to pay me later, when she said she was going to drop the money off at work that just was an excuse . I have spent so much money in cake supplies that is not funny. I have invested so much into this even got a double oven. I know she is having a hard time but it is still the principal of the thing and don't get me wrong because I have done cake for her in the past and have charge her $40.00 FOR $65.00 cakes and have charge the regular prices for cakes also. I just do not think I will be getting my money any time soon or even if I would be getting it This must just be a bad month because she is about the 3rd person that I have a had a problem with just last week a young lady whom also has order cakes from me before came over with this huge sliver cake stand ( beautiful) she said had purcashed it at the flee market for $30.00 dollars and that she was trying to get into the catering business and had a party to cater she wanted the cake to be the center piece. She wanted a 3 tier cake with chocolate covered strawberries on the cake . I showed her pictures of my cakes and a two tier was $80.00 she said that she did not have alot of money so since she had given me previous orders I was going to try and work with her so i ask her what was she looking to pay for the cake and she said around $40.00. I told her that there was no why that i would do a 3tier cake for that huge cake stand for $40.00 . She started talking about walmart and I told her thats probably where she need to go. She said but i love your cakes and I told her again that there was no way i could do that cake for $40.00

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 1:31am
post #7 of 18

I would have looked at her when she arrived and said - "no money - no cake." There are ATM machines all over the world and she could have turned her fancy little butt around and driven herself to one!

Don't ever let that happen to you again. If you want to be serious about making your business happen - friends, co-workers, relatives, etc - you must go by the same rules - NO MONEY - NO CAKE!

People would never walk into WalMart and walk out with a cake without paying - people would never go to a clothing store and walk out with a dress without paying.

Be the cake goddess you are and stand up for what your work, time, energy, and passion is worth!!!!!!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 1:44am
post #8 of 18

I am so sorry this happened to you & you have enough problems in your life to cope with. I hope there is a way for you to pursue this matter further if she doesn't pay. I'm sending you a HUG>

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:02am
post #9 of 18

I am also sorry that this happened to you. I like the advice that Millycakes had. NO MONEY NO CAKE.

I know a lot of people and am trying to get enough cake business to stop my daycare. not that I don't love it, but I prefer cake (more flexibility and recognition). You would not believe the comments I am getting from "friends and family". My favorite is, you should make me a cake, and I will pay cost (um, labor??) then I will be able to refer business to you because I will know how they are.

I think people want something for nothing. WHy is it that we let ourselves get beat up like this? It is a cake. It is not a required item, like water or air. If you can't afford it, don't order it.

People do that in daycare too, they say they can't really afford it but Timmy loves it here and I couldn't think of taking him somewhere else... blah blah, then go out and get in their expensive suv and talk on their newest version of a cell all the way to home where they watch TiVo. AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:07am
post #10 of 18

Tame, I'm so, so sorry that you're dealing with such a lousy "customer." You know, I had this happen often when I first began charging for cakes. I would be lenient, because I didn't want to "offend" new customers. I was lucky and all paid at pick up/delivery, etc. However, people need to stop and think. This is YOUR business, just like Walmart or Target is a business. I sure as heck can't walk into Sam's, pick up my week's supplies and walk out the door promising to pay next time or next week, etc. Stand your ground. No money...it's simply...no cake!!! icon_evil.gif For me, that was hard, as I'm not a stern person typically; however, when it takes $$$ out of my pocket with no compensation, you betcha I'll get stern! Good luck and get some rest!!! icon_smile.gif We're behind you on this one! icon_wink.gif

Amy

ccwkg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccwkg Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:10am
post #11 of 18

tame, I am so sorry you are going through this. It really stinks when people think they can just take advantage of you. I hope that when she gets back you can get things resolved quickly and if she doesn't come back I'd hunt her down like a ... icon_eek.gif .. sorry sometimes I get a bit ahead of myself. Good luck, I hope things go well. ((( BIG HUG)))

"Be the cake goddess you are and stand up for what your work, time, energy, and passion is worth!!!!!!"

Millycakes, I love this. I think I am just delirious enough to decide that this is the way I am going to introduce myself from now on.
"Hi, I'm Crystal, Your local cake goddess." I love it! icon_lol.gif [/quote]

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 3:34am
post #12 of 18

So sorry that you were done this way, but I also agree DON'T let anyone do this to you again....thats just so wrong for anyone to think it is o.k. to say I'll pay you later for the cake.

I bet if payday rolled around and the boss said I'll pay you later or when I get back from my trip in a few weeks, they would be ready to go postal on the boss. I am sorry she may be having hard time now, but now she has made it hard for you.

Tell them I have to have the money now and you can have your cake now and eat it to, or no money now, no cake and I 'll be eating it.

As for the co-worker, try not to let it get to you, she'll be just fine without a free cake.
Good for you on the cake stand and Wal-Mart remark. stand your ground, if she really likes your cake she'll pay the price or wish she had of.

I pray that some how the money will come to you so you will be able to buy gas to get to work.

God Bless,
Sharon

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 5:43am
post #13 of 18

[

People would never walk into WalMart and walk out with a cake without paying - people would never go to a clothing store and walk out with a dress without paying

Actually people do and they are called "SHOPLIFTERS!!"... icon_lol.gif

You need to have them pay before they take their cakes. Like everyone says....you can't go to walmart and leave with the cake and say...I will pay you later for it...You run a business and need to get your money just like any other business or you will go bankrupt... don't let them take advantage of you....

keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 6:04am
post #14 of 18

I agree - no money, no cake! It is a little awkward at first getting money for something you made. It always makes me a bit uneasy, but you and I both need to get over that! I'm sure it's a bit weird that she's your supervisor, but COME ON, she wouldn't allow one of her employees to mark down 8 hours when they only worked 4, right? I'm sending your good thoughts that the money will show up, and you can do what you need to do.

And your co-worker - boy, she has some nerve! Cakes are not cheap - okay the ingredients aren't the most expensive thing you can buy at the store, but it's your time, effort, gas to get there, etc, and that takes money. I would NEVER expect a co-worker to get me a cake, not unless that's what everyone did. We bring treats for the birthday after ours - sometimes it's something homemade, sometimes it's not, but, everyone that participates agrees to this. People just have some nerve. Others are right - everyone wants something for nothing - well, I'm sorry, but it's not up to ME to give it to you.

Tame, hang in there - know that we're pulling for you!

tame Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 11:30pm
post #15 of 18

Okay guys

My supervisor did come back to work today and all she said to me was oh I haven't forgot about your money but still no money. I am just going to have to write this one off , yet i would never do a cake for her again

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 11:41pm
post #16 of 18

I definitely would not do a cake for her again unless she gave you the money upfront.

maggie_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggie_14 Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 12:16am
post #17 of 18

Hi Tame,

I feel your frustation. That is why I do my cakes for family and friends and because I offer to make them. If they ask and I can't I will say no. I also have a daughter with CP and in a wheelchair, and believe me, she keeps me very busy. I do loooove baking and it makes me happy to put a smile in peoples faces when I do this for them, and I wish I can dedicate more time to it, but I can't and I know how sometimes people do not appreciate all the time and heart that goes into our baking. I hope she pays you and please... do not bake anything else for her!!! icon_smile.gif

tame Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 3:11am
post #18 of 18

maggie
It was okay to give a cake away every now and then a first but now when you start buying $600 mixers and $200 printers for edible pictures, airbrush guns, pan, pans and more pans and don't for get the $300 in boxes and cake board, wedding fountains, fondant and gunpaste tools over a 100 candy molds.cookie cutters, freezers, double ovens, rolling pins and the list goes on and on . I keep a receipt of the items that i have bought in a box and it would almost sicken me to actually realize how much money i have spent on cake suppiles and tools. I started off doing cakes a long time ago I was a manager of a bakery and that is what I did cakes, Yet those cakes came in frozen and would sometimes seat in the freezer for months at a time. It now take me almost 8 hours to do what it use to take me on 30 min to do, So it if in 1 week i have just spent over $200 in supplies and then turn around and spend almost 5 hours on a cake and just give it away ( can you see where i am going with this) not including the child wtih cp and all the other personal problems going on , it would really get you down. I am sorry to here about your daughter yet we both know that they are truly a gift from above I use to question why ? Now I just thank god for her, but there is no why i could have made it this far without him you take care and it just goes to show you that someone with the same interest you have could be going through or dealing with the same thing that you are and it gives you some comfort just to know that you are not alone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%