CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 9:43pm
post #1 of 12

Cake newbie here!!icon_biggrin.gif

What kind of styrofoam do you use?
Does a floral oasis/foam work?
Can I round off the edges somehow?
Do I dowel them together?

Like to do a 2 tier round anniversary cake (sheet cakes for cutting)
(Working on the test, ie, "eating" cakes this weekend..yum)

I live 6 hours away, and thought this would be the best way to prepare before hand, and easier transport.

TIA!

11 replies
jastaus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jastaus Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 9:52pm
post #2 of 12

you can order cake dummies from online shops or bakery crafts. I tried to find the shapes I needed before at stores like Michaels but for me it was a no go. If you can find it then i'm sure it will work. Brush it with corn syrup before applying fondant so it sticks better. And you can dowel them together as well.
hope this helps

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 9:55pm
post #3 of 12

kind: the white stuff that's stiff
two sources of premade:
> http://www.dallas-foam.com/store/
&
> http://www.taylorfoam.com/taylorfoam_com/door/

----

rounding: just use pressure of metal object or sandpaper

----

dowel -- yes you can or can glue them together too -- use the special glue made for this -- hot melt glue will do just that -- melt them!

micfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
micfish Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 9:56pm
post #4 of 12

I just use regular styrofoam from a craft store so not sure about the floral oasis. Yes, round the edges with light sandpaper or your fondant with rip...some people also press the edges against a countertop to round them out. You can just use water(lightly spritzed) on the styrofoam to get the fondant to stick...works fabulous and not as fussy as using royal icing. If you use royal icing in between the tiers you won't have a problem with them coming apart... it's the best 'glue'. Cake should travel good. I also use royal icing under the bottom tier to attach it to the base so basically it's all one piece.

Good luck!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 9:57pm
post #5 of 12

When I did my styrofoam cakes I just got the size round flats I needed and then I hot glued a few of them together to get the height of cake I wanted. Then to put the fondant on I just we it a little with water.
you can see my Purple wedding cake in my photos. That is a styrofoam cake.

I am sure that if you were doing a tiered cake to show pillars then you would want to dowel them. I think that stacking them is pretty sturdy if you just use hot glue. Just my opinion though.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 12

definite no to the floral oasis.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 10:04pm
post #7 of 12

Even with shipping charges, I find getting styrofoam dummies from http://www.dallas-foam.com/store/ works out cheaper than getting them from my local cake decorating store.

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 10:06pm
post #8 of 12

dallas-foam!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 11:22pm
post #9 of 12

oh wow! I had no idea! Thanks!

CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 12:35pm
post #10 of 12

Thank you so much!

Dallas Foam will ship to Canada, but cost $$$...

Anyone have any links for Canadian distributors?

....or maybe I'll just make the cake - and a back up - transport and hope for the best icon_biggrin.gif LOL!

Thanks!

foots2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foots2 Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 1:34pm
post #11 of 12

I get all my dummies from Dallas Foam.Shipping is high but its still cheaper than getting them(if you can find the shapes) from the hobby store. I also heard instead of wasting all that fondant on a dummy. you can use royal icing. Just put it on with a spatula,smooth it then sand it when its dry. Keep painting it on (make it thinner) until you have it the way you want it. Any one else hear about this or use it. Im doing a HUGH cake in the next 2 weeks and wanted to try this.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 5:34pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by foots2

I get all my dummies from Dallas Foam.Shipping is high but its still cheaper than getting them(if you can find the shapes) from the hobby store. I also heard instead of wasting all that fondant on a dummy. you can use royal icing. Just put it on with a spatula,smooth it then sand it when its dry. Keep painting it on (make it thinner) until you have it the way you want it. Any one else hear about this or use it. Im doing a HUGH cake in the next 2 weeks and wanted to try this.

You can use Royal icing or PermaIce. They just dry quickly so you need work fast.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%