Baking In Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls

Decorating By MariaLovesCakes Updated 20 Jun 2007 , 6:00pm by Doug

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 9:30pm
post #1 of 14

Hello. I saw Sandra Lee in Semi-homemade baking cakes inside a stainless steel mixing bowl.

I wonder if any of you has done it.

I bought a set of three, from small to big and was contemplating baking in the small one.

Mine is the brand Steeltek and its not very light, but it is a heavier stainless steel than others I've seen.

What do you all think?

13 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 9:36pm
post #2 of 14

consider it a heavy duty, even over-sized wonder mold.

(hoping JanH will be along w/ her multi-cross linked thread posting)

same as baking in any large heavy pan...

just in this case the heating core in the middle become even more important.

can make it out of a large (what is that a 9 or so in size) flower nail to which you add a metal extension (piece of very narrow gauge copper or food grade stainless steel or even a very tightly rolled piece of aluminum foil (keeping it as smooth as possible)

and of course bake at lower temp, 325 or so.

just remember -- those bowls hold lots of batter.

Tartacadabra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tartacadabra Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 14

We do it on the Dutch forum icon_wink.gif but most of the times we use a very light batter (bizcocho sin mantequilla). If you want the use the normal batter with butter I would do it as Doug suggests (yeah we had a huge topic about the "equipment" to make a appropriate heating core for this too at our forum icon_biggrin.gif ).

By the way Debbie Brown does the same, uses those bowls for her cakes (and very heavy madeira cake too).

Good luck with it! thumbs_up.gif

Lara

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 1:08pm
post #4 of 14

Sure you can bake cakes in them. Like Doug said, a heating core would be helpful. I once made a "boob" cake in giant mixing bowls. I recall they took a long time to bake; but they were fine. ("they" ... two boobs). I greased and floured them.

MariaLovesCakes Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 8:05pm
post #5 of 14

Thank you sooo much! I will as soon as I have the occasion to make one with one of these!

Thanks again! thumbs_up.gif

LittleLinda Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 11:17pm
post #6 of 14

What are you making? Now I'm curious.

MariaLovesCakes Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 1:41am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLinda

What are you making? Now I'm curious.

icon_lol.gif

Your post made me laugh!!!

well, nothing right now...The mixing bowls have very nice shapes for either a doll dress or a mountain or a dome to use to make space ship...

I don't even remember what Sandra Lee made on her show the time she used one but I thought it was interesting that she was.

I'll come up with something... icon_biggrin.gif

noley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noley Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 1:53am
post #8 of 14

i used my pyrex mixing bowls to make my pumpkin.. worked great.. I'm going to use one next month to make an hill for a sheet cake.. long story short i love it!
Jen

debrab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debrab Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 1:59am
post #9 of 14

I have never used a stainless steel mixing bowl, but I have used the Pampered Chef batter bowls and also the small measuring bowls and they work great too! I use the small ones for tea cups and small hills on a dirt track for a monster truck cake.

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 2:28am
post #10 of 14

I also used my pyrex bowl to make a cowboy hat cake (forgot to take a photo) it turned out great. I used one flower nail in it and it worked great but everytime I look at my 3 stainless steel bowls I wonder the same thing can I bake in them lol now I will have to find an excuse to try them lol

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 1:49pm
post #11 of 14

I have used the small ss bowls for cakes, no core, baked fine. I just wanted to add, I saw Alton Brown on tv last night, he popped popcorn in a large ss bowl. Because of the narrow bottom, the corn popped much better than in a flat bottom pot. He covered the bowl with foil, punched a few small holes for steam release and used a tong to hold onto the bowl to shake the corn til done. I thought this was a neat tip as I LOVE popcorn made the old fashioned way.

LittleLinda Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 12:39pm
post #12 of 14

[quote="hellie0h"]and used a tong to hold onto the bowl to shake the corn til done. quote]
What was the heat source?

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 5:53pm
post #13 of 14

[QUOTE="LittleLinda"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellie0h

and used a tong to hold onto the bowl to shake the corn til done. quote]
What was the heat source?

Stove top, is the heat source. (popping corn the old fashioned way)

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 6:00pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellie0h

I have used the small ss bowls for cakes, no core, baked fine. I just wanted to add, I saw Alton Brown on tv last night, he popped popcorn in a large ss bowl. Because of the narrow bottom, the corn popped much better than in a flat bottom pot. He covered the bowl with foil, punched a few small holes for steam release and used a tong to hold onto the bowl to shake the corn til done. I thought this was a neat tip as I LOVE popcorn made the old fashioned way.

works best on GAS stove (oh the memories) -- tho' in a pinch can be accomplished on electric.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%