Buttercream Icing Help!!!!!!!!!!

Decorating By tina35 Updated 3 Aug 2006 , 2:01pm by tina35

tina35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tina35 Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 10

when I make my cakes and smooth the icing out . I make sure I smooth it out well . when it's time to transport the cake the icing cracks,I transport with caution, is there any thing that can be done to prevent this my icing is loved by everyone so I don't want to change I use the basic wilton crisco all white rec. someone said to add a little kiro syrup to thin it out will this help? I have a order this sat and I need help before I make the cake. icon_sad.gif

9 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 10

Use a stronger board under the cake. If the board bends when you pick up the cake, the icing will show cracks.

ConnieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieB Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 7:13pm
post #3 of 10

I was having that problem also, and I found that it was the board I was transporting it on was not stable enough. I have heard that a lot of poeple use cut out ply wood, and say that it works really well. I would think any thing that is not bendable would work really well!

HTH

Lousaria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lousaria Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 10

This has happened to the last 2 cakes that I have made too. I've come to the conclusion that the boards were to flimsy. I won't do that again, it made me so angry to see the cake like that after I worked so hard on it to get it smooth.

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 7:19pm
post #5 of 10

I have started using foam board. I get it at Hobby Lobby and cut it for whatever size I need. Got the idea here and of course it works great!

tina35 Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 2:46pm
post #6 of 10

thanks everyone they sound like good ideas, and I will try them I thought it maybe the board but I wasn't to sure, still new at this cake thing so when you use the ply wood or foam what do you cover them up with? icon_smile.gif

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 2:53pm
post #7 of 10

You can cover with foil or if you want fancy paper and clear plastic over top. Make sure that the cake won't absorb into whatever you use to cover your board.

mary-ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mary-ann Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 4:50pm
post #8 of 10

You can also cover in fondant or thinned royal icing but that takes time to dry. Or use anything under the clear contact paper like wrapping paper, scrap booking paper or fabric. I bought a ton of quilting squares from JoAnn Fabrics for $1 each - all different patterns and colors. Clear contact paper is $1 a roll at the dollar store. Michaels has sales on the foam board for $1 a sheet. I double it up and glue together with a glue gun, glue the fabric on from the underside and then cover with contact. HTH

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 5:05pm
post #9 of 10

If it's just your icing cracking and not the cake then I wouldn't worry about the cake board. It's your icing. It's crusting. The karo syrup should do the trick. I have also found that mixing the icing about 5-6 minutes helps. It might also be the brand of p sugar you are using...

tina35 Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 2:01pm
post #10 of 10

thanks everyone , you all have been a big help!!!!! I will try the kiro syrup and use the board just in case you never know icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%