Royal Icing Flowers

Decorating By moralna Updated 1 Aug 2006 , 8:16pm by lasidus1

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 6

Last night I was trying to make Royal Icing flowers and tried to thicken the royal icing several times an even put it in the fridge to firm it up, but still, I could not get the icing to be stiff enough to form drop flowers; usually in directionals they say to use RI in medium consistency, but not sure what that is. Does anyone have any suggestions or special Royal Icing flowers recipe?

Thanks to all.

5 replies
shimerin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shimerin Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 3:08pm
post #2 of 6

1LB icing sugar sieved twice
3 fl oz water
1/2 oz albumen power

mix albumen into water this will give a lumpy apperance, dont worry about lumps or smell they dont matter as its normal leave it for 15 minute or few hours to dissolve if possible.
Sieve the albumen and water mixture into a bowl with half icing sugar and beat until you have a smooth consistency, always wipe down bowl side
then add rest of sugar, if you are using pure albumen beat it for 12 mins but if you are using boosted albumen beat it for 4, boosted albumen only needs 4 mins because it has a foaming agent in it so be carful not to over beat, ready when it can stand up in soft peaks.

Shim icon_biggrin.gif

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 6

The Wilton Recipe for Royal Icing is:

3 Tablespoons Meringue powder
4 cups sifted powdered sugar (about 1 lb)
6 Tablespoons of water

Make sure everything is completely grease free.
Beat all ingredients at low speed for 7-10 minutes.
(10-12 minutes at high speed if using hand held
mixer) until icing forms peaks.

***For stiffer consistency or if using large countertop mixer, decrease water by 1 tablespoon

If you are making roses, use the stiffer consistancy.

Hope this helps.

Cindy

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 6

Weather has a lot to do with how the recipe turns out. I use the Wilton recipe as in the post above. I start with the least amount of liquid (sometimes even less depending on the weather) and go from there. I also use the stiff icing to make flowers. I have found that the heat from your hand will soften the icing as you pipe them, which is another reason I use stiff.

Good luck!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy6250

The Wilton Recipe for Royal Icing is:

3 Tablespoons Meringue powder
4 cups sifted powdered sugar (about 1 lb)
6 Tablespoons of water

Not to be nit picky (please forgive me) but the Wilton recipe is 1 pound of powder sugar which is about (but not always) 4 cups. If you can it's best if you use the lb box or weight it. That will help you have close to the same consistancy of icing every time.

As also said weather does affect the icing. If there is alot of humidity then you will need less water. I also start with less water and add more if needed.

To thicken it up you can add cornstratch which will help absorb the extra liquid in it.

lasidus1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasidus1 Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 6

are you beating it long enough? you want to keep beating it until it fluffs up, need to give the egg whites in the meringue powder time to fluff. about 7-10 minutes is what my teacher told me, but really it just varies. keep going until its not shiny.

also, no grease, anywhere, or it will never work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%