Putting Fondant On Frozen Cake??

Decorating By dizzy94 Updated 1 Aug 2006 , 1:35pm by patton78

dizzy94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dizzy94 Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 1:20pm
post #1 of 6

I was looking through the past posts and had a thought. Since I will be traveling in possible heat could I freeze the cakes with the crumb coat on them then on the day of travel put the fondant on them and decorate them with them still frozen? Then they could thaw out as I drove keeping them cold but what would that do to the fondant? I know I would have to add a small bit of icing to give the fondant something to adhear to or not?

Just full of questions today LOL
I am so thankful I found you all this is the greatest resource I have come across yet thumbs_up.gif

Melanie

5 replies
patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 1:22pm
post #2 of 6

I would not recommend putting fondant on a frozen cake. A lady in one of my cake classes tried putting fondant on her frozen cake in class and the fondand seized up. It was not pliable at all and was cracking and breaking off.

dizzy94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dizzy94 Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 1:28pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks I had a feeling the solution was too good to be usable icon_wink.gif

So then my next question would be how long do I have to have the cakes out before I can put the fondant on if I am making them ahead of time and do I need to have something for the fondant to "stick" to or is it fine laying over a dry crumb coat?

CanCakeMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanCakeMom Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 1:32pm
post #4 of 6

You should put a buttercream "Crumb coat" on it..

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 1:34pm
post #5 of 6

Dizzy, I have heard that you would take them out the day before you decorate..... keep them wrapped to avoid condensation, and make sure your crumb coat is VERY smooth, or the fondant layer will show all the flaws of the undercoat.....

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 1:35pm
post #6 of 6

It is okay to lay the fondant over a dry crumbcoat, just put a string of piping gel all the way around the bottom of you cake so the fondant has something to adhere to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%