Freezing An Entirely Decorated Cake

Decorating By dsoutherngirl Updated 1 Aug 2006 , 2:00pm by dsoutherngirl

dsoutherngirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsoutherngirl Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 1:13pm
post #1 of 6

I have a lady that has a standing order for cakes every week. She likes to try many different flavors. She works at a local restaurant and I deliver them to her there. She really only cares about the taste and isn't much on what they look like but I do decorate them a little. Recently someone told me that her work place was open for lunch now and stupid me believed it so this past week I made her cake early because I was leaving for the beach and was going to drop it off during the lunch hour but of course they were closed! I have never had her home phone number and there is no one I trusted to deliver her cake for me. She is very flexible and will accept the cake whenever I get it ready. So...(sorry so long) I finally decided to freeze the entire cake. It is white chocolate with white chocolate cream cheese icing. Has anyone done this before? I am now afraid to deliver it this weekend because I don't want it to have a frozen taste. I do freeze cake layers with success all the time but have never frozen a decorated cake. The cake looks fine. Can anyone give any advice or insight?

5 replies
SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 1:17pm
post #2 of 6

I've never frozen an entirely decorated cake before but I freeze decorated cupcakes all of the time and honestly...I can't even tell that they've been frozen. As long as you wrapped it well it should be just fine. Good luck!

auntikaro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntikaro Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 1:25pm
post #3 of 6

icon_biggrin.gif I did a wedding cake two weeks ago and the reception was being held at a location 1/2 hour from my house and temps were in the 90's. I froze the top tier because it was a large mound of roses. If you are only freezing it for a day or two, you will be fine. The only time I have notice freezer taste is when eating the top a year later for the anniversary - no matter how well you wrap it.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 1:40pm
post #4 of 6

Some people are more sensitive to that "freezer taste" but I kept my top tier and it tasted just as good as the day we had our wedding but I think the trick was I unwrapped and re-wrapped with new plastic wrap and foil every 2 months. My concern with the cake you made is that I don't know what the cream cheese icing (cream cheese can be a funny animal) will taste like after having been frozen. Since this is a good customer (weekly-wow!!) I would re-make the cake for her and use this cake as an experiment that way you'll know firsthand the results without using a great customer as the guinea pig.

Just my 2 c.

icon_smile.gif d

4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4kids Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 1:42pm
post #5 of 6

I froze a decorated cake for one day. It tasted fine. You couldn't tell it had been frozen it all. Like evryone said, wrap it well and it should be fine.

dsoutherngirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsoutherngirl Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 2:00pm
post #6 of 6

Well, I froze it in the bakery box wrapped in cellophane and taped completely closed and then in one of those huge XL ziploc bags. It would be frozen for exactly one week. Thank you for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%