Royal Question Need Answer Asap Please.

Decorating By tobycat Updated 14 Jun 2007 , 9:08pm by alimonkey

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 6

Looked for this in the search, but couldn't find it sooooo...

Can I refrigerate royal icing accents after I've applied them to the cake?

Will it change the structure of the icing at all?

S.

5 replies
alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 6

The humidity in the fridge will soften them. Possibly not enough to matter, but hard to say. How long will it be in the refrigerator?

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by alimonkey

The humidity in the fridge will soften them. Possibly not enough to matter, but hard to say. How long will it be in the refrigerator?

Well, if I did it today, it would be in until Sat. I'm not using anything preishable -- the bc has 2 tbs of milk, but I've never had any bad experiences with that, so in theory, I don't even need it to go in the fridge, but I just don't want the bc to be too dry by Sat. hmm -- that leads me to another question -- I'll post it in a minute.

Thanks! S.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 6

Just my two cents....I find that refrigerating a cake tends to dry it out. If you have nothing perishable, I'd just leave it at room temp.

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 6

If its just BC i wouldn't frig. either.

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 9:08pm
post #6 of 6

Ditto - no fridge is my vote. Besides the cake drying out, fats tend to pick up funny smells, and I'm super sensitive to that refrigerator taste. I won't even make my IMBC a day ahead because I hate it.

For the royal, though, keep in mind that the BC can do a number on it too. Especially if you have bright colored royal, the BC will sometimes leach some of the color out of it, so you get pale royal, and brightly colored spots of BC where you didn't want them. Some people don't even put royal decoration on until same day, but I haven't had any problems with day before.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%