How To Impress...

Decorating By calebmom2003 Updated 15 Jun 2007 , 6:40pm by indydebi

calebmom2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calebmom2003 Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 8

icon_redface.gif Sorry to keep bothering all of you. I posted a topic yesterday on cake tasting, which I am supposed to be meeting with the couple next weekend. My question is, how can you impress people with your ability to do good cakes, when you don't have anything to show for it? I have done tons of birthday and baby shower cakes, but I have only made two cakes one for a wedding and one for a anniversary party. I have also made like three groom's cakes. I just want to be able to show them that even though I don't have much experience with wedding cakes, that I would still be a good choice. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you so much for helping me out the past couple of days. My stress level has gone down a little bit thumbs_up.gif , but I am still extremely nervous, because they will be meeting with a bakery first. How can I compete with that????? God Bless All of You.... icon_smile.gif

7 replies
Tartacadabra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tartacadabra Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 8

Make sure you have something for them to taste and make something really nice and elegant, and at least 2 or 3 flavors. Just small cakes will do fine.

The second thing is that I would already draw out (or write down, since I really can't draw icon_wink.gif ) some cake ideas you are having, and also start thinking about possible ideas they might ask you.
And most important, you are able to put a lot of time in the cake and sometimes this is not possible at a bakery (since they have to make real profits in order to pay for their shop etc), and also that you are able to make something EXACTLY fit for their wedding icon_wink.gif

I would not worry about not having made so many wedding cakes, they are coming to see you so that means they are interested. And at the end if it doesn't work out you could ask for some feedback and you will be better prepared for the next time!!

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Lara

jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 8

Maybe you could decorate some "fake cakes"...styrofoam in different sizes and shapes...and take pictures of those. The icings/coverings might be "removable" so you could use the forms more than once and you'd have a portfolio of some things you can definitely do for a customer....just a thought! icon_smile.gif

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 8

I have seen people do mini wedding cakes. Maybe you could decorate some mini wedding cakes for the tasting?

Stephanie

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 7:35pm
post #5 of 8

when my dh and I were planning our wedding we went to a lady in a nearby town who does cakes and since the only thing I knew about cakes was how I wanted mine displayed, not stacked like a normal wedding cake but on single pedastols, she basically walked us through the design elements .. she had a piece of paper and said what if we did this .. or this .. and then added on this ... she did not make us feel stupid for not knowing what we wanted but she made it very easy for us to feel comfortable because she felt very confident in what she was drawing .. so just be confident in your work and if they have not decided exactly what they want yet walk them through it there are plenty of beautiful cakes on here to take inspiration from! Good luck thumbs_up.gif

calebmom2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calebmom2003 Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 1:30pm
post #6 of 8

thanks so much for all your feedback. It is greatly appreciated. All great ideas.....

Gretta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gretta Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 2:17pm
post #7 of 8

All of the ideas listed here sound great. I would like to add, I bake all my "testers" in the Tyson chunked chicken cans. They are the perfect size. I usually frost them using different icing techniques to give the couple an idea of what their options are, including a variety of flavors.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 6:40pm
post #8 of 8

I tell brides that selecting a wedding cake design is a cut-n-paste process .... this set-up, that border, those decors, this kind of flower.

I also have 2 photo albums for them to look at:
One is pics of cakes I have made.... the other is pics I've pulled from magz and the internet. I tell them that making cakes is like any other craft ... sewing, crocheting, knitting .... if you have the knowledge and the skill, then you can follow the pattern and create anything.

The book of my cakes shows I have the skill .... the book of internet photos are the patterns they can choose from.

You have pics that show you have the skill. You can follow the pattern.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%