How Do You Freeze A Decorated Cake?

Decorating By steffla Updated 18 Jun 2007 , 2:06am by KitchenKat

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 4:35am
post #1 of 11

Someone wants to place an order from me on a date I am booked so she asked If I could do it early and she could freeze it. I dont know anything about how to do this safely and not ruin the decorated cake. It will either be a baseball hat cake or just a bc cake with fbct on it. Anyone have any directions or hints for me? Thank you thank you thank you!

10 replies
Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 4:52am
post #2 of 11

I have never frozen one, never had to....but I would suggest you box it up well to save it from the elements in the freezer icon_biggrin.gif

LizzyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzyB Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 8:34am
post #3 of 11

I froze a BC cake just this week (first time ever) and today when I took it out, argh! drops of moisture formed as soon as it hit the humid air. Right now it is sitting under the air con and I am hoping to dry it out . NEVER again - unless all you CC'ers on this thread can give some tips!

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 9:12am
post #4 of 11

I have done this once because I was going to be out of town and the customer really wanted me to do her son's cake. It was a round cake with blue icing and a green tractor on it. I made the cake as I normally would, decorated it, etc, and then placed it in the cake box. Then wrapped the box several times in plastic wrap and then put it in the freezer. I had Dh take it out two days prior to the party and leave it on the counter to thaw. He did but did not take off the plastic wrap until right before the party.

I did not get to eat it but DH said he thought it tasted better than any cake of mine he had ever tasted. Even the grandfather of the little boy commented on how moist and delicious it was. I had no issue with colors bleeding.

Good luck! I know it is scarey to do it because I worried too.

dittle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dittle Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 10:20am
post #5 of 11

I have frozen bc decorated cakes and they were fine. I also placed them in a box and then in a plastic bag. The customer said she had no problems, the colours didn't run and it tasted fresh. I did get her to defrost it a day before the party in the fridge.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 10:39am
post #6 of 11

IF wrapped really well, and left that way while it thaws, it should be fine......... remember all the Wedding top cakes that are cut and eaten a year after the wedding .......

Leigh01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leigh01 Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 8:57am
post #7 of 11

I always freeze my bc cakes - before decorating to stabilize them and afterwards to set them - makes them easier to transport too . Have also found that they defrost very quickly and have never had any problems with moisture - in fact have found that the cake is always lovely and moist.

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 1:27pm
post #8 of 11

I've just frozen a cake covered in fondant icing after reading on here that it could be done. BIG mistake. Even with a fan pointed at the cake it still ended up covered in water and I ended up having to wipe off all the gooey fondant and covering the cake again. Never again!

LizzyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzyB Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 10:33am
post #9 of 11

I don't know what I did wrong with my frozen cake, I did wrap and box it. But I have managed to rescue it under the aircon and I have dusted the sticky MMF area with a little cornflower - did the trick. But like you Emma, I won't try it again, maybe the weather here just doesn't cope with the process? icon_sad.gif

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:19pm
post #10 of 11

I will be freezing a cake this week also. Here's a couple of things I've found or been told on the subject. Let the cake freeze for at least 6 or more hrs before you wrap it. Then wrap it in a couple layers of plastic wrap, then tin foil. If it's real hot I wouldn't let it defrost at room temp. Let it defrost in the fridge for 12 to 24 hrs, I would remove the tin foil. I also heard if you leave the plastic wrap on, that will catch any moisture so that it doesn't transfer to the cake. You can also place the cake in a box then place it in two garbage bags. You will still need to defrost in the fridge. Good luck, I am hoping this works also. icon_biggrin.gif

Kat

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 2:06am
post #11 of 11

I agree with kat's post (and not just because my name is also Kat). I've frozen many decorated cakes before - always double/triple wrapped in plastic wrap and foil. To freeze I put in the fridge till the frosting is firm enough to wrap. Wrap in plastic wrap air tight. Wrap in 1 or 2 layers of foil airtight. Box optonal. Freeze.

I thaw completely in fridge 24-48 hours. Remove from fridge. Remove wrapping while frosting is still set. Let come to room temp on the kitchen counter.

Have had no problems with BC or ganache frosted cakes nor with fondant or sugarpaste accents/covering.

I also think the cakes are much moister after freezing.

Kat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%