Would You Do It?

Decorating By 2508s42 Updated 25 Jun 2007 , 5:24pm by 2508s42

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 2:39am
post #61 of 70

Very nice cake! I used the same ribbon on my DS's first b-day cake! icon_wink.gificon_razz.gificon_lol.gif

So, they has people provide the food, AND give them money to pay for their honeymoon?! icon_confused.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif They got a good deal! Maybe I should keep this in mind for whenever DH and I make it official! icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gificon_rolleyes.gif

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 2:44am
post #62 of 70

Two rules re a wedding that I've told my daughter since she was 15:

1. No money dance!
2. No smashing the cakes in each other's faces!

I'm sorry.....but I find this really tacky.

Also, I was raised to spend within my means. I'd bo sooooo embarassed to ask my wedding guests to bring food and contribute to my honeymoon. I'd rather go to the Justice of the Peace to get married, and have just a cake and champagne reception. That would be classy; begging is not.

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 1:44pm
post #63 of 70

I guess what is really ticking me off is that the bride paid for facials/manicures/pedicures and hair and makeup for 4 bridesmaids. They provided "candy buckets" at the reception for the guests. They had a cocktail hour while we all waited for the tables to be set, and then had to wait for another hour to eat the dinner that we all had to contribute to. Plus they had everyone make the food to be ready for the day before the wedding, so the salad was soggy and the fruit was gross. Then to not even get to have a peice of the one thing I knew would be good. I don't know. It just irritated me. If you can't afford dinner...then don't have it. A professional caterer would not have served crappy food, and made sure that the guests were happy.

How can you afford all the stuff for the bridesmaids and nothing for the guests?? You should have seen the gift table. Practically empty. Also, they invited 150, 200 rsvp'd and 70 showed up.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 2:07pm
post #64 of 70

"they invited 150, 200 rsvp'd and 70 showed up. "

This right lets you know that you weren't the only one ticked off by this. What a rotten thing to do. My DH and I were very fortunate with our wedding day.. his parents paid for the whole thing. I gave his mom creative license over everything.. I could have cared less about napkin colors coordinating with whatever they are supposed to coordinate with.. LOL. I am a very laid back person. She asked my imput on things like flowers and what not, but over all it was up to her. It was a beautiful wedding on the beach on Nantucket Island, MA. But only becuse that's where Nick grew up and his parents still live there. Reception was in the back yard at hsi preant's house and beautiful.. Had we had to pay for it.. it would have been in our backyard with a big BBQ.. no way we could afford a big to do like they did.. and I would have been just as happy (maybe more so even) with it. No way would I ever have expected our guests to bring their own food.. thumbsdown.gif simply tact-less.your cake was beautiful and MUCH more than she deserved. $5 to dance with them????? OMG how tacky.. I agree that this new generation coming up has some SERIOUS value problems.. problems I try my damnedest to make sure my kiddos don't have. but with shows like my super sweet sixteen and crap like that (with little parental guidance).. is it any wonder why they excpect things like this??

I'm so sorry that not a lot of people got to taste your wonderful cake.. and I'm sorry that you got roped into this "charity" event.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 2:15pm
post #65 of 70

umm.. sure the gift table was empty! The gifts were on everyone's plates!!

I've known and dealt with people like this. Do it once to me, shame on you... let it happen twice, shame on me (And not an ice cube's chance.... icon_evil.gif )

So many posts I agree with! Star Jones should be equally as ashamed as Suzy Q. My daughter had a very small wedding in the courthouse gazebo, I made the cake and dad picked up pizza. Why? Because they wanted a house and asked me if I'd be hurt if they put the money on the downpayment. I told her the only way I'd be hurt is if I didn't get invited to whatever they decided to have!

I'd be upset too if they hadn't cut the cake!....um.. maybe they were hoping if they didn't cut it, they could return it for a refund icon_lol.gif

shooterstrigger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shooterstrigger Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 2:18pm
post #66 of 70

I don't understand why people think they can do this sort of thing. I didn't want a wedding but my husbands family insisted we HAD to have one. I did my cake and catered (a buffet for 200) my own wedding. I paid kids from my church to mind the food and such. The whole thing cost me $500. (including the dress I bought second hand) There were things I would have liked to do differently but I did what I could. No one helped us and the best gift we recieved was from my husbands best man's aunt. My husbands mother and aunts left early to go to a club because we chose not to have a bar. That left me and my parents to clean up the church. But the point is you can accomplish a very nice reception for less than the cost of a bahamas trip.
People think others should do everything for them now. A friend of mine got a letter from a DISTANT cousin asking for them to donate to their baby fund. They wanted to adopt from China and had saved 1/2 of the money would everyone donate the rest?

Heh I never had a honey moon and would really like to go to Europe. If you all contribute $5.00 my hubby and I could finailly have a honeymoon. We've been married 11 years surely it is time for a real vacation!

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 2:38pm
post #67 of 70

My husband and I paid for our own wedding and our honeymoon was a night away at Cedar Point. Geeze, If I would have realized that if I would have just "strong armed" everyone in Knew in to giving me all of the stuff, I could have had one of those over the top weddings I see on tv.

Where's emily post when you need her!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 3:05pm
post #68 of 70

I've never heard of anything this tacky and that's saying something. We live on the reservation my husband is from and for weddings it isn't uncommon for the wedding couple's aunts to help with cooking and serving. Most of the time the parents buy the food though and just have relatives help set it up. I have never heard of people asking church members to do it instead, the only time that happens is at funerals.

angelcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakesmom Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 5:19pm
post #69 of 70

WoW! O.K. so let me get this straight... They wanted people to bring a dish to pass, pay a $5.00 "Admission"(dance) fee and bring a gift! icon_eek.gif
What nerve!! icon_twisted.gif It's no wonder nobody showed up , they couldn't afford to!

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 5:24pm
post #70 of 70

This is the first time I have ever seen anything like this. My personal family is HUGE, and the last sister (of nine kids) got married...we all help, but not with money. The bride gave $$ to one sis for all the food, $$ to me for the cake $$ to the sis who decorated. She paid for everything, but delegated it out.

The only thing that she didn't pay for was the bridal shower, which her friends at work gave her. That was the closest I have ever seen to anything like this. Oh, also, my sister wanted a specific stand for her cake, so she bought it and gave it to me as a thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%