2Nd Wedding Cake...they Couldn't Eat It!!!! (Long)

Decorating By stephanie214 Updated 10 Aug 2006 , 12:11pm by vicky

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 6:25pm
post #61 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie214

Day #3 and haven't heard from them icon_wink.gif

sonoma,

No, I didn't use a syrup just the buttercream.

Hmmm...well then I think there's definitely something fishy going on -- and it isn't with your cakes! All things being equal, it really sounds like they're just trying to get some money back. I agree with what someone said earlier about saving a piece of cake for evidence. If you're not satisfied with a product, you have to take it back to get the refund! It's not hard to see why you haven't heard from them.

Definitely post the outcome -- if there is one! Good Luck!

Sarah

justme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 6:26pm
post #62 of 96

I do not think I would give any of the money back. So far it has been three days and they did not get a hold of you, I would say that they must not have been that upset about the cake, because if the cake was truely not right- they would have gotten a hold of you yesterday. This family is very fishy and trying to scam you.

Nexus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nexus Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 6:42pm
post #63 of 96

I'm new, saw your cakes and absolutly beautiful!
I wouldn't put it past the aunt of the bride and mother of the bride to go ahead and try to get a refund back. People are sneaky and just sometimes so dishonest its disgusting. They seem to only be trying to get money out of you. If something that DRASTIC and dramatic as she made it seem I would have done something the night of and had a piece as evidence the next day. I mean, even store policies...you cannot "lose" a product you didn't like and then want a refund because you didn't like it but don't HAVE it.
I know a lot of sneaky people and what they'd do to trick someone and get their money back, it wouldn't surprise me if now they are trying to create the "disaster" cake to show as evidence (I've had it happen, its insanity). detective.gif
I wouldn't worry about giving them a refund unless they have proof of YOUR cake. And they can't get legal if they WANTED to saying "you ruined the wedding" (thats a fun one) when they dont have proof you did anything wrong.

Besides you from what I've read/seen are PLENTY PLENTY experienced enough to know a saggy gooey cake from a baked one. Even if it was slightly gooey which i've had due to weather, its not that god aweful. I'd still have a piece and ask for a partial or somethinig to work it out.

Don't worry your pretty little head.
Your cakes are amazing and you should continue your beautiful work!

icon_biggrin.gif
Nikki

Mickig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickig Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 7:05pm
post #64 of 96

I don't know if anyone else has asked this but, was the cake cut by a caterer or someone at the hall? If so, you could contact them to ask if they remember the cake being undone? If it was as bad as the aunt makes it out to be, they'd have to remember it. I don't believe her for one minute.

Mickig icon_confused.gif

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 1:45am
post #65 of 96

Thanks everyone for your continued support thumbs_up.gif

Day #4 and counting icon_lol.gif

I still haven't heard anything from the bride or her family. If I had paid $410.00 for a cake, I'd have called as soon as I cut the cake and discovered something wrong.

Mickig,

The fishy tapedshut.gif aunt cut the cake icon_lol.gif .

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 1:50am
post #66 of 96

Unbelievable!!!! I'd say that at this point, you shouldn't have to provide any refund whatsoever!!!! If they have the nerve to come back to you at this point (or at whatever point in the future) and complain about the cake and/or request a refund, just tell them that you don't know why it took them so long to contact you, and you would have needed to see a piece of the cake in order to figure out what (IF anything) went wrong. Case closed!!! judge.gificon_evil.gificon_rolleyes.gif

P.S. - $410 for that beautiful cake??? They got a GOOD deal!! If they come back trying to get any kind of refund, just tell them that you've recalculated the price of the cake and they actually owe you money!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

CakesWithAttitude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesWithAttitude Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 1:52am
post #67 of 96

yeah and by now if they got a piece to you; I'm sure you wouldn't want to taste it!

stephanie214 Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 3:07am
post #68 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbyjess

P.S. - $410 for that beautiful cake??? They got a GOOD deal!! If they come back trying to get any kind of refund, just tell them that you've recalculated the price of the cake and they actually owe you money!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

I gave her a big discount. I didn't charge for the MMF accents, spraying and arranging the flowers, rental for the fountain or delivery and set-up.

Her MIL is a steady customer of mine so I gave a big discount. If I had known this would happen, I would have charged full price for everything icon_lol.gif

CakesWithAttitude

yeah and by now if they got a piece to you; I'm sure you wouldn't want to taste it!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Nope, they can keep it; that's so funny icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cakesbyjess Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 4:15am
post #69 of 96

That was nice of you to give them such a nice discount. If only you had known what would happen ... icon_rolleyes.gif

I'll be anxious to hear what (if any) feedback you get from the bride and her family!!!!!!!!!

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 3:22pm
post #70 of 96
Quote:
Quote:

I still haven't heard anything from the bride or her family.

Was it the bride who chose and hired you, or some other family member? If it was the bride you probably won't hear from her either way while she's on her honeymoon.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 3:26pm
post #71 of 96

Just curious, were they aware of the discounts you gave? If they even think of a asking for a refund after all the discounts, I would remind them the discounts you gave more than compensates for any refund.

deb

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 3:42pm
post #72 of 96

Okay you didn't charge for half the stuff you should have and then someone has the balls to turn around and try this?? No refunds whatsoever in this case okay? Know that you do beautiful work and your cakes are delicious and people will pull stuff like this so you just have to forget them and go on.

vicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicky Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 3:57pm
post #73 of 96

Stephanie,
Your cake is beautiful. I don't have a lot of experience with fondant, but does the cake sweat under the fondant? If this were the case, I think the fondant would start falling off. When you leveled the cake and put them together, you would have seen that the cake was not completely baked. I would talk to others and check out their story. In this heat, it is so important for the people to be there to get the cake out of the heat. Where is their responsibility. Tell them about sitting out in the sun and high humidity and no one was there to get it into air conditioning. Tell them the person responsible for this long delay may have to reimburse them for part of the cost of the cake because it was perfect when you loaded the cake into the vehicle. Don't get down, you do great work and we all run into people to try to get something for nothing.
Vicky

fourangelsmommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fourangelsmommie Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 4:13pm
post #74 of 96

I agree with the above - The cake was beautiful, they already received a huge discount since you didn't charge them for everything, and no one has offered to let you get a sample of the cake.

But I do think if the Bride is who actually ordered the cake, you probably won't hear from her until after the honeymoon. I know I would wait until after I came back from mine to worry about a cake. However, that was before I started cake decorating, so now I would know that she or someone should have taken care of this by now.

No discount, no refund.

Did she sign a contract with you and does it have on the contract no refund after the wedding???

Just my opinion.

stephanie214 Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 1:36pm
post #75 of 96

UPDATE... I finally heard from the bride !!!!

She called me on Thursday...day 5.

We discussed the cake and I told her that the cake was done and the problem came from them. The cakes were in my car for over 1 1/2 hours and because the heat was so high, it must have done some damage.

She told me that she had some left over cake and would try to bring it to me so that I could see what they were talking about because she was leaving for Florida on Friday. I told her that she would have to bring it that day because I woud be out of town on Friday myself...well she didn't bring it icon_mad.gif .

I talked to her MIL and she told me that the 10 and 14 inch were the only ones that were messed up; the 2 10" side cakes were delicious. Well, we finally figured out what happened, because the 10" and 14" received all the sun and heat, that is what did it.

She told me that she had talked to the MOB and told her that it wasn't my fault that no one was there to let me in and for me not to worry about it and not to give a refund icon_wink.gif .

The person that was suppose to be there to let me in was stopped by the police and her car was impounded icon_eek.gif .

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 1:47pm
post #76 of 96
Quote:
Quote:

The person that was suppose to be there to let me in was stopped by the police and her car was impounded .

What a journey!!!!!! Glad it's over with now!! It wasn't your fault! it's the police's fault! icon_surprised.gif

Now that's a story!!! But anyways, they should've had more people to open the door. Here the day of wedding, at the reception hall, the manager of the place is always there. So no problems for deliveries.

big hugs to you, and again your cake is so gorgeous!!!

vicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicky Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 2:17pm
post #77 of 96

The person who's car was stopped by the police and car impounded owes this bride a refund and you an apology for the grief they caused all of you. He/she needs to be fired. I guess I'm a mean person.
Vicky

sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 2:31pm
post #78 of 96

must have been a pretty bad 'infraction' to have the car impounded!!

cakesbyjess Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 5:55pm
post #79 of 96

Wow!! What an ending to this craziness!! I'm so glad you have closure now, and I'm especially glad that you now have peace of mind that you did nothing wrong (as I knew all along!!!). I'll bet you couldn't be more thrilled to close this chapter of your cake decorating life!!!! icon_smile.gif

stephanie214 Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 6:23pm
post #80 of 96

Yep, hopefully the craziness is gone icon_lol.gif

Thanks so much everyone for your continued support through this "craziness" icon_rolleyes.gif .

Now, on to my next wedding cake; 250 people. At least her wedding and reception will be at the same place so someone will be there to let me in icon_lol.gif ...another long drive to deliver and set-up; at least I will be staying at this wedding icon_cool.gif .

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 6:25pm
post #81 of 96

Good luck on the next wedding cake Stephanie! I know it will be a breeze after this craziness!! icon_lol.gif

cakesbyjess Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 6:35pm
post #82 of 96

Good luck on your next wedding cake. Looking forward to seeing pictures of the sure-to-be beautiful creation!!! icon_smile.gif

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 7:11pm
post #83 of 96

Very good for you Stephanie to know what really happened! Have fun on the next one!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 8:45pm
post #84 of 96

Stephanie, Glad you finally have closure on this nightmare saga. Sometimes we don't get to hear how these things come out. This came out right I'd say. Now on to your next project, which will be another beauty I'm sure. Go, create, be happy!! LOL

littlemissmuffin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlemissmuffin Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 9:44pm
post #85 of 96

Glad it was resolved. I don't see how people don't realize how much damage the heat does to sugar based food items. Duh. Oh well, at least it's out of your hair now.

stephanie214 Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 11:05pm
post #86 of 96

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

You guys are the greatest...I love you to death icon_biggrin.gif

I am so glad that I have buddies like you; you always come through for me.

Thanks a million thumbs_up.gif

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 11:50pm
post #87 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by heystopthatnow

First off, I love how your cake looks!

This is just a thought but I think if there was anything wrong with the cake, it might have been because of the weather. I don't know about Virginia but in the west coast, it just SUDDENLY got really hot and just as suddenly, it's back to normal.

If it was really hot on the day of the wedding, I'm guessing that it is plausible that WITH Buttercream as filling, although the exterior remained looking superior, the inside could have been a different story.

I also noticed that your cakes were not stacked...could it be possible that maybe ONE cake might have been affected while the others weren't?

I don't think that your cakes were under baked. I think if anything, it may have been the weather. That's why, if you tried replicating it, I wouldn't see you finding any problems with the cake.

You hit the nail on the head. Baking a cake from the same batter does not replicate all the conditions that one cake was under.

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 2:13am
post #88 of 96

Best wishes Stephanie--next one will be a smooth one with no problems! thumbs_up.gif

toristreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toristreats Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 2:54am
post #89 of 96

Just read this thread. What a story. I'm sorry it was so awful. Good luck on your next cake. I'm sure it will be wonderful.

stephanie214 Posted 7 Aug 2006 , 1:35pm
post #90 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamode

Best wishes Stephanie--next one will be a smooth one with no problems! thumbs_up.gif

From your mouth to God's ear icon_wink.gif

toristreats
Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:54 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just read this thread. What a story. I'm sorry it was so awful. Good luck on your next cake. I'm sure it will be wonderful.

Rollercoaster...the ride has finally ended icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%