Any Military Families Out There?

Lounge By heystopthatnow Updated 9 Aug 2006 , 1:07pm by Ohara

heystopthatnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heystopthatnow Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 6:23am
post #1 of 14

Hi! Just wondering if there were any other military wives out there whose husbands are on deployment.

My husband has been gone for 7 months so far. We have a little under two months left!! I can't wait till he comes back!!!!! He's missed so much~

We have a 7 month old (7 months as of today!!!) son that he's only seen for less than a week before deploying, and who he only sees by pictures posted online. =(

I can't believe it's been 7 months since he left. If I hadn't picked up cake decorating in May...I really don't know how I would have made it. These past 7 months have been rough~ I don't know how single mothers do it. It is TOUGH raising ONE child, let alone raising a child and having to go out and make a living as well.

13 replies
justme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 10:52pm
post #2 of 14

i am not in a military family but my friend is going through the exact same thing. she had her first child in march and he was deployed in april. i think it has to be really tough to raise a child on your own or for the child to only see pics of his dad. anyways i just wanted to wish you good luck and hopefully it gets easier and he comes home soon.

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 1:06am
post #3 of 14

Good luck and my prayers are with you! I'm a Military Mom with a son due to deploy in October. For him, a second deployment (first was when he was a Marine). Now he is in the Army. It doesn't get any easier. Your thoughts are always with them.
Leslie

jmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmcakes Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 1:37am
post #4 of 14

My husband comes from a military family and my Father In Law just deployed 2 weeks. He will not return until August 2007 IF he doesn't have to stay any longer. He is a Sgt. Major in the Army and plans on retiring when he returns but he said he wasn not going t retire until he served in this war because that is his job. He has been in the military for 23 years and has had his chance to retire but chose to go to war because he felt that it wouldn't be right if he just up and left....My thoughts and prayers with every single military man and woman and thier families.

NEW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEW Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 3:39am
post #5 of 14

My brother-in-law came home in March of this year after serving a year in Iraq. This was his second deployment with the Navy. He would be going back if he would not have been hurt when he was over there the vehicle he was in was bombed but all made it out ok just a very injuries.I am so glad he is home. I support the troops 100% and pray fro them every day good luck to the rest of the familes. usaribbon.gifusaribbon.gifusaribbon.gifusaribbon.gifusaribbon.gifusaribbon.gifusaribbon.gifusaribbon.gifusaribbon.gifusaribbon.gifusaribbon.gifusaribbon.gifusaribbon.gifusaribbon.gifusaribbon.gifusaribbon.gifusaribbon.gifusaribbon.gifusaribbon.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 1:19pm
post #6 of 14

Military moms are awesome. thumbs_up.gif
As an Army brat who's father was gone for 7 of my first 16 years not counting the field and tdy I would have to say that your statement that single moms have it way rougher than you isn't true. Remember that your life is on hold waiting for your husband to come home and since he's probably somewhere dangerous you're stressed about him. My dad never went to war and when he was gone it was hard on everyone.
I'm not saying that single moms have life easy but that they aren't counting the days until someone comes home and can get on with their life.
The kids have it tough too when dad's been gone, when they're very little they don't remember him at all and the problems change with age.

mangiamangia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mangiamangia Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 1:49pm
post #7 of 14

heystopthatnow,
first off, i love your screen name. i feel like i say that to my 2 kids all the time! i am a military spouse. my husband has recently returned from his 12 month deployment and i KNOW it is hard. keep up the hard work! you are doing a great job, i know!
i too got into cake/cookie baking/decorating while my husband was gone and it was a real life saver for me. something constructive i could do! it was so nice to have a project that i could start, finish, and be proud of. so much of what we do is not noticed or ever "finished" so having a hobby like cake decorating was perfect for me!
for the whole year he was gone i had trouble sleeping. when i put the kids to bed i would spend time learning about cakes on the sites like this and then i could stay up late trying out new techniques and recipes.
i have to say that my friends loved it. i did all my friend's children's birthday cakes during the deployment!
i know this is a hard time. please know that you are not alone, you will make it, people you dont even know pray for you and your family daily, and the reunion is AMAZING!!
icon_lol.gif

cakegirlnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirlnc Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 6:00pm
post #8 of 14

My husband just got back from Iraq in Nov. It was especially hard trying to raise a little one all alone. Both our families are out of state so I didn't have anyone to really lean on during those moments that I just wanted to tear my hair out. The guys from his fire station would come by and cut the grass and help with any household repairs so that was really nice of them. He is in the Air Guard and this was his third time being in combat. He changed jobs in the unit because he didn't want to deploy again but changed back because he missed being with his buddies and all the training. So now he may or may not deploy again next year icon_cry.gif . It's especially hard because his full time job with the fire dept keeps him away from home 24 hrs at a time so it can be extremely nerve racking. But we just try to take it one day at a time. I give kudos to all the single parents out there thumbs_up.gif .

Firefighterwife

Mom_2_2_boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom_2_2_boys Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 1:04am
post #9 of 14

I too am an Army wife. My husband just left on July 8, 2006. We have two sons age 8 and 5. This is my husbands second deployment overseas, the first time was when the war first started. It is not an easy thing to do, but we do it. I started doing cakes a few years ago, but haven't done any lately. I'm just too busy right now trying to occupy my boys and keep them going. We all really miss our soldier very much.

The only thing you can do is pray and hope for the best!

Mom_2_2_Boys usaribbon.gifusaribbon.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 4:35am
post #10 of 14

I was in the Marines and so was my husband. It was hard when he was gone in Bosnia. We didn't have kids then, but do now and I couldn't imagine how hard that must be for you all with loved ones defending us. God Bless your spouses and you and your family as well.

bbarnes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbarnes Posted 5 Aug 2006 , 8:43pm
post #11 of 14

Hello, I too am an Army wife and have been in your shoes many times. Keep your spirits up he will be home soon. It's great you chose cake decorating, keeps your mind busy. Your 7 month old must also keep you quite busy. Nice to see there are other military wives on CC. My prayers are with you and your family..

pbertone1005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbertone1005 Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 3:39am
post #12 of 14

For those of you who have loved ones who are deployed by prayers are with you. My son was in the Marines and finished his four years this past January 27, 2006. He was in Iraq when the war started and then did another 6 months in Afghanistan. It was a long four years and even though i am very proud of him I am glad he is home. I wish only the best for you other wives and mothers and hope that soon you will have your loved ones home safe and sound. God Bless You All!!

Marine Mom, Pat

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 12:31pm
post #13 of 14

I'm an Army Mom and probably won't sleep soundly till my son is out of the service although he's thinking of making it his career (he's 23 and been in for 2 years). He has been 'deployed 5 times', and each time their unit was cancelled. He wants to go to Iraq but it looks like my prayers are winning out!! He actually works for the Army now but is in charge of Military Funerals. How depressing!! Mostly the older vets, but still depressing. I pray all of you never have to experience a Military funeral, but just to let you know, I cried my eyes out when I watched from afar the HONOR that is given to each of these recently passed soldiers. My son had me see from the airplane transport to the funeral home to a recent one in Arlington. The HONOR and RESPECT that these men get is heartpulling. I'm so proud of all of them especially knowing the HONOR that they receive in the end. We can never thank them enough! God bless all of them!

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 1:07pm
post #14 of 14

My sisters oldest and second sons are currently serving in the
United States Air Force. The oldest is doing his third deployment now. He is on the convoy duty at the Iraq airport. His hummer was hit last week. He suffered a concusion but thank God he's alive. Her other son deploys next month. And her future daughter in law will deploy in Feb. if not sooner. We try not to watch all the news. We look forward to hearing from them every chance we get. I can't imagine how much harder it used to be before the electronic age, when families had to wait for the snail mail. My prayers go out each day for those serving and their families. Keep a good thought.

Jennifer

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%