Decorating Cakes That You Didn't Make?

Business By manyacakes Updated 30 Jul 2006 , 6:50pm by cakesbyjess

manyacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manyacakes Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 10:35pm
post #1 of 5

a couple of times i have decorated cakes with someone who i think of as friend to help her out. she really doesn't do too much in the way of fancy decorating. when someone compliments the cake and assumes that she did the whole thing she never mentions that it was a collaborative effort. i have stood in the background unbeknownst to her and i have heard what she says and she never mentions that someone helped her with the cake. i was really proud of the fondant caketop that i made for one of her cakes. it was my first attempt at a bride and groom topper. some ladies who were at the event said you really outdid yourself did you make the topper too and she smiled and said it's nice isn't it. and when she walked away the ladies continued to comment how nice it was thinking that she made it. whenever some compliments our cakes or asks a question i answer truthfully.

manya

4 replies
reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 5

I think I would stop helping this girl out if she is not going to give you credit for the work you did. It's really time consuming and the fact that she doesn't say,"Yes, well I had help from my friend," when people ask about the cake is her saying that she doesn't appreciate your time and effort put into HER cake! I'd be POed! icon_mad.gif

southrnhearts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southrnhearts Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 10:45pm
post #3 of 5

i think youre a heckuva friend to keep helping her out...i think i'd definately have to say something to her to make her think about what she is doing to your friendship... maybe the next time she asks for your assistance, say ya know i was thinking that im going to just give you a few lessons so you can really learn to do things on your own...because it seems this way is working for the both of us anymore...

good luck and happy decorating icon_biggrin.gif

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 5

that's not nice at all I would stop helping this girl before you know she will be charging for your cakes!

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 6:50pm
post #5 of 5

Oooohhhh ... I'll bet that just burns you up when you hear her take all of the credit for the cakes that you made beautiful!!! She has some nerve!! She needs to give credit where credit is due. I can understand why this is a difficult situation, though. I avoid confrontation like the plague, so I honestly don't know what I'd do in your shoes. She is definitely taking advantage of your kindness, though, and she needs to stop!!! icon_mad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%