Any Ideas On Color Flow???

Decorating By ceci Updated 8 Jun 2005 , 12:28am by sgirvan

ceci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceci Posted 6 Jun 2005 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 8

I'm about to do a first birthday cake with winnie the pooh anf thought of color flow, I haven't done it in a long time but think it would come out pretty, my frozen transfers come out runny, and for some reason I can't trace on the cake because the icing sticks to my wax paper. any ideas??? icon_sad.gificon_smile.gif

7 replies
traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 6 Jun 2005 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 8

Hi ceci. When this happens to me I usually have an edible image made. I know some bakeries sell premade Winnie the Pooh images. I know that some bakeries that make photo cakes will sell the images alone. If you decide to go that route...you need to find a cute pic that has good color to it. If that does not work...I know wilton makes a few different winnie the pooh cake pans! Good luck! icon_razz.gif
traci

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 6 Jun 2005 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 8

maybe the icing you're using is too thin?? not sure ceci .. seems like if it's thoroughly frozen, the wax paper would peel off of it w/no probs... not sure tho

You can do a pic in color flow too .. just make sure to make an extra .. I'd hate to see it crack and you not have an extra to use if necessary

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 6 Jun 2005 , 4:08pm
post #4 of 8

Also, if you use the color flow, allow at least a couple days to dry thoroughly! I love color flow, haven't tried the BCT yet, so I use color flow quite a bit.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 6 Jun 2005 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 8

Do you use a crusting type of icing? If you do, you can let the icing set until it crusts and then transfer designs using waxed paper. I've done colorflow and I think it's easier than doing a BCT. You can do a colorflow design right on the cake. You can also pipe outlines using stiff BC and then fill in with thinned BC just like colorflow. I've also seen royal used to outline a design and then tinted marshmallow cream was used to fill in.

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 7 Jun 2005 , 5:37am
post #6 of 8

I have done both color flow and BCT. I however don't really use color flow, I just thin down my royal icing to the same consistency and use it that way. I let it dry for at least 24 hours before peeling it off of the wax paper carefully. If you make it too thin, it will break but you get used to it and what your limits are. Color flow is expensive and needs to be used right away once mixing it, royal icing does not and is cheap!
BCT, you need to make them not too thin and let the harden in the freezer for at least 1 hour and have your cake ready so that you can take it out of the freezer and put it directly on the cake with no time wasted. I make sure that I do all of mine in reverse so that I just flip the whole thing onto my cake and then peel off the paper, if it cracks a bit it is no big deal because once the icing softens, I take a toothpick and smooth the problem area out without knowing the difference!!!

Shayla
www.jellybeans.ca

ceci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceci Posted 7 Jun 2005 , 3:01pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you what everyone wrote helps a lot!!! what I meant about my buttercream transfer was that when it's ready to put on the cake I notice that the outline is all runny in some areas and it looks sloppy, that's why I thought I shoulddo a color flow, but you said I can do the same with royal?? I will try it. Thank you Ceci

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 8 Jun 2005 , 12:28am
post #8 of 8

Yes you can use royal, that is what I only use in all of my color flow designs. If your BCT is kind of runny it has to be because your icig is too thin especially on the boarder, try using thicker stuff for the boarder icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%