New/used Oven? Help!

Business By Melvira Updated 18 Jun 2007 , 2:10pm by Melvira

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 16

I am thinking of building my business a bit, and need a bigger, better oven. Does anyone know where to start looking? I have looked online and found all these 'professional' ovens (that start at 5 thousand dollars!!!) but don't really know what all the terms are. I am just looking for something that will hold bigger pans and more accurate temp. I am currently using a crappy small oven that will only handle up to 16", and the temp varies depending on the feng shui in the room at the time (yes, it's a small old one!) I'd like to get something that will hold a half sheet pan (12x1icon_cool.gif or even a little bigger MAYBE depending on cost. Where would you suggest looking? It doesn't have to be new, as long as it's in good condition. Is there a brand any of you swear by, or perhaps, some features that you've found to be irreplacable? Is convection the way to go? Help me out here!! TIA!!!!

15 replies
cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 12:13am
post #2 of 16

I just bought a Maytag range for my home today and the oven is bigger inside than any I'v had before but it will only be used for home use as I am building my kitchen and shop. I bought a commercial US Range/ Garland with 5 shelves for under $4000 brand new waiting for delivery on that one can't wait to bake in it. I am bringing my old range from home to the shop so I will have a stove top to do any melting of chocolate or cooking fillings. There is also a Maytag that has a double oven in it you might what to check that out too.

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 12:21am
post #3 of 16

I would suggest buying a second hand one. Try searching around your town or maybe a few towns over if it isn't that big of a town lol. See about resturants that have closed down or are fixin to close down or even bakeries that have or are closing down and see if you can purchase the used oven(s). Around here we always have auctions for stuff like that but maybe if you get in before they finish closing or start planning the auction you could get it cheaper icon_wink.gif Good luck in your hunt icon_smile.gif

vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 11:10pm
post #4 of 16

You can try looking on http://www.auctionzip.com/ for a local auction. I happened upon this site and found a local resturant equipment sale. There were hardly any people there when the auction started and I got a commerical Blodgett oven (that works!!) for $5.00. A stack of 12 lg industrial cookies sheet and 10 pizza pans $6.00. And 9-24ct muffin pans for $4.00. Wish I had more room to store stuff!! They had so many things that brought next to nothing and the rest went for seriously resonable prices. A single door SS fridge $120. SS table and 3 compartment sinks for $180-220.
Val

Melvira Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 12:18am
post #5 of 16

WOW Val!! That is awesome!! You are so lucky! I will check it out and let you know if I find any steals! Thanks for the advice!!

vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 1:42am
post #6 of 16

Your welcome icon_biggrin.gif I plan on attending a grocery store auction this week the have a kopycake listed as well as racks, pans and ss tables.

Just remember if your looking for ovens the commerical electric ones require different electric than your house probably has gas is the way to go because it is easier and cheaper to install (according to my dad who is an electrican).

Val

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:09am
post #7 of 16

If you have a commercial gas convection oven it requires a special range hood and can cost up to $18,000 for it better check it out thats why I bought and electric one. Also they have them in Phase 1/2 or3 you need to find out what your electrical panel can handle. I had to have a phase 1/ 240 the building I,m renting has the old power electrical box.

Melvira Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:35am
post #8 of 16

Thanks Sharon... I may not have thought of that in advance! I appreciate the heads up!!! icon_lol.gif

NancysFancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NancysFancy Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:41am
post #9 of 16

YO, Melvira!!
Well, first, I'd shop where Val shops!!!!! Dang!! Those are the deals of the century icon_eek.gif
But I just wanted to tell you what oven I bought a year ago 'cause I'm very happy with it. ( Although, this might be smaller than you need) It's a Cadco Unox Convection Countertop. Holds 3 half sheet pans, with regular plug-in house current. Its temp. is super accurate and reliable. ( There was a convection learning curve for me though, and at first I over-baked every cake and blamed the recipes!!!!) I'm good with it now and have figured out the lower temps. and times. I bought it on-line, new, apx. $700.00

Melvira Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 2:53am
post #10 of 16

Ooooh Nancy... a countertop oven? I have an in-wall right now and the thing I like about that is not having to stoop over to peek in, etc. I know... lazy, but oh well. And that way the baby can't reach the hot part. It sounds like the one you got would be up off the floor... right? Or am I misunderstanding the countertop part?

NancysFancy Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 3:18am
post #11 of 16

No, you got that right. I have a waist high stainless-steel rolling rack with shelves and on top sits this oven. No bending, no stooping to look in. Love it.
( That's not lazy, that's spine preservation-----let alone baby proof.)

Melvira Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 12:05am
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancysFancy

No, you got that right. I have a waist high stainless-steel rolling rack with shelves and on top sits this oven. No bending, no stooping to look in. Love it.
( That's not lazy, that's spine preservation-----let alone baby proof.)

You MUST tell me where to get this... I am dying!!!

NancysFancy Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 4:40am
post #13 of 16

Hey Melvira,
I asked DH ---who ordered this oven for me last year--- for some details. He could not find the receipt (typical) and could not remember which online co. he purchased from icon_confused.gif I'm sorry and annoyed!!! But, he googled and got a link for you at least. He stressed though to shop around for a possible better price.

http://www.instawares.com/convection-oven-size-120v.15-0290.0.7.htm

I took the photo here for you to see my set-up but this could go on any work table top or counter. BTW--in the photo--can you find the significant "prop" I put in there just to give you a laugh?
LL

Melvira Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 1:30pm
post #14 of 16

I really want to laugh about the roller you included for my benefit, but I am too busy have impure thoughts about that oven and cart set up. It gives me special feelings! icon_twisted.gif I will definitely be considering a bad boy like that because it's SO portable! And when my business eventually tanks I can use it to bake big dinners at my house! icon_wink.gif Hehehehe. Ok... I'm kidding... I hope I don't tank!!!

NancysFancy Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 2:05pm
post #15 of 16

Glad I gave you a morning chuckle AND oven palpitations with the vapors!!!
( So, in a contest with Johnny Depp---the oven wins?)

P.S. Tank Schmank!!! I predict that this oven will be WAY to dinky for you in the very near future. Seriously. Put your $$ into a bigger one NOW.

P. P. S. Not only did I buy the "Melvira" roller but that whole pkg. of refills next to it. Either I'm to ambitious or you're that good a salesperson. ( Time for your product line!!!)

Melvira Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 2:10pm
post #16 of 16

No, no, no, Johnny and I are sitting, holding hands, WATCHING the oven do it's thing. icon_wink.gif (Please understand that 'holding hands' is my clean way of putting it. Hehehe!)

I am seriously trying to figure out how to get my product line started. I have several really good toys and tools that NEED to be available to all of you (and me!) and need to find someone to help me create them! I mean, I could have never guessed how many people would love the roller. I am simply blown away by it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%