Little Mermaid Birthday Cake For An 18 Year Old

Decorating By agiftofaloha Updated 31 Jul 2006 , 4:48am by HeatherBecker

agiftofaloha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agiftofaloha Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 4:24am
post #1 of 9

My daughter is turning 18 in September. She has requested a Little Mermaid cake. I am clueless to how to create something unique. Can some of you "seasoned" designers give me some ideas that a "rookie" could do? Much appreciation to any help I can get.

8 replies
tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 4:28am
post #2 of 9

Although I don't consider myself "seasoned," I can suggest that you try looking at coloring pages on line. Then, you could do a neat fbct. I just did one for a Dora theme.

You could also look at some ocean cakes on CC and see what they did for seaweed (such as candy roll ups, etc.) and other under water elements. You could always get a little fondant and make some rocks. I got some gummy octopuses for a pool cake I did for my daughter.

HTH -- icon_smile.gif

Sarah

reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 4:28am
post #3 of 9

I say do what comes to mind and then jazz it up to an 18 yr old's standards by adding alot of lust, gold, silver and any other type of metalic color to it as possible.

ashlymomx2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashlymomx2 Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 4:30am
post #4 of 9

i'm not that "seasoned"...but from one newbie to another... a frozen bc transfer would be really nice. Find a picture on-line of Ariel that you really like and do that. You could add seaweed and some cute flowers. Post a pic when you do make whatever you decide to do, I would love to see it!

bbarnes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbarnes Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 11:52am
post #5 of 9

Hi here is a link of a few that I found. http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/mermaid-cake.html#11. Hope this helps you out. I really like the one using the doll pan. I would place the doll pan on another cake and make the doll pan look like sand and then the other cake like water. Just a suggestion.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 12:01pm
post #6 of 9

Here they come to save the day!!!!!!!
the MIGHTY CC GALLERIES are on the way.

--------------------------------------------------

• > search results for "ariel AND mermaid" >>

CC gallery results

> results for "ariel" >> ariel results

> results for "mermaid" >> mermaid results
--------------------------------------------------

LOTS of great ideas there to inspire!

HTH

(ok, why am I in flashback to childhood and Mighty Mouse mode????)

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 12:12pm
post #7 of 9

ok what does Mighty Mouse have to do with Ariel?
Hmmm maybe flashing back because it's Saturday morning cartoon time? Where are the chocolate covered cocoa puffs? LOL

kerririchards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerririchards Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 12:18pm
post #8 of 9

I would say chocolate transfers! Those are so much fun and look so incredible. Look at ccalvin's pictures for inspiration. You could even make seaweed and Ariel's "things" like the hand mirrors, forks and such out of the chocolate transfers. Of course, you have to have King Triton and Ursula, and Flounder and Prince Eric and all of the rest. Wow! This one would be so much fun!

HeatherBecker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherBecker Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 4:48am
post #9 of 9

I made a mermaid cake for my niece. It wasn't the little mermaid, but I used a doll and then made the mermaid scales out of fondant. I sat her on a beach made with brown sugar. To decorate the beach, I added cream cheese mints made with shell molds. You can make them look realistic if you make white mints and then add brown food coloring afterward. By doing this you can stop mixing before the dough turns completely brown, leaving it marbled. The mints add a nice touch to a beach cake,and would make it look a little less child-like.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%