Help! Is It As Bad As I Think? And Also Need To Vent...

Decorating By kelleym Updated 30 Jul 2006 , 6:55pm by kjgjam22

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 10:20pm
post #1 of 49

About a month ago, my husband's best friend's wife called and asked if I'd ever done an Elmo cake. I have (it's in my photos) and I sent her a picture of it. She said it was great! But she didn't want Elmo to look "furry" like the one I did with the grass tip, because she "hate-hate-hates" icing. Grrrr. I have moral issues with people who hate icing. And besides, doesn't she realize that she doesn't have to eat it just because it's there? Anyway, she wanted Elmo to be "flat", so I planned on doing a FBCT. She also was very particular about the rest of the design...Elmo on white background. White borders. Block letters instead of just plain writing. Then she called back later and asked for red polka dots on the sides, but was worried it would be "too much". I said I didn't think it was going to be "too much" because it's a child's cake!

So anyway, I am set to deliver this thing in just a couple of hours and....aaaarrrrgh! I'm at this point where I've completely lost perspective. I tried to do my FBCT very thin so that Elmo would be "flat", but it was so thin it wouldn't come off the wax paper. So I had to buff it up with more icing and then freeze again it for about an hour so I could try again. Now Elmo does not look "flat", he's sticking up about 1/8" off the cake, and I had to pipe white icing around him to blend it in. The FBCT looks kind of shiny and flat and wrinkled, and I don't know why....waaaah! I hate my "block" writing, the icing won't crust for me (it's so hot and humid here). Everything just looks blotchy and awful! Arrrrgh. Arrrrgh.

This picture does not show all the problems, so I feel stupid about even posting it. But believe me, this cake has problems. Any tips for improving the look of a FBCT?

By the way, I like it much better when people order a cake and say "I kind of want <insert theme>. Do whatever you want." This lady is so particular, I'm afraid she is just going to hate this. icon_sad.gif It's Italian Cream with cream cheese filling, then buttercream on the outside. I charged her my minimum of $30...should I let her have it for cost and tell her I'm not happy with it?
LL

48 replies
magentaa23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
magentaa23 Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 49

no way!... from what i read she just didnt want the extra icing... there is no way you would ever get it perfectly flat, and hopefully she understands that, iv done alot of cakes i wasnt too thrilled about, but the customer always loved them

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 49

I think it is beautiful, and she is getting exactly what she asked for!! Don't you dare charge less than the $30.00!

cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 49

That cake is adorable. Do not let her have it for a penny less than $30. I personally think you did a great job on it!

Cindy

getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 10:29pm
post #5 of 49

I think that cake is great! You did a wonderful job and I'm sure that your customer will as well ~ she's not a cake decorator and we all know that we are our own worst critics!!!

It looks great - Elmo looks fabulous and the block lettering looks perfect! Try not to be so hard on yourself, you're very talented!

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 10:30pm
post #6 of 49

$30.00 is a great price for that awsome cake. ...now, if she says it has problems, then i would say she could have it cheaper, but i wouldnt bring it up. also, it looks great!
melody

desireed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
desireed Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 10:30pm
post #7 of 49

Do NOT let her have that cake for cost! I think it looks great. Elmo is very cute! If she doesn't like icing tell her to scrape it off. Don't tell her that you don't like it....remember, WE are OUR OWN worst critics.

girltrapped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
girltrapped Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 10:30pm
post #8 of 49

Absolutely do not give it to her for cost! It is a gorgeous cake that was made with lots of care and concern and if she says anything you can just mention that it was done "to her specification!" She will probably really love it, because that is what SHE wanted! Great job!

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 10:33pm
post #9 of 49

That is a WONDERFUL cake!! Don't you DARE charge her less than $30. I also have issues with "non-icing" people... what are they thinking - that all their guests hate icing, just because they do? I have problems with people who dictate like that. I like a lot of direction so I get exactly what they want, but I do like a little artistic leisure. Just tell her that you did exactly what she asked, using the minimum amount of frosting - just what was needed. and I LOVE your block lettering - I think it turned out PERFECT & the dots on the side are the perfect touch.

Walk away from the cake for an hour or so & then take another look. Elmo turned out GREAT & the cake is awesome!

mhill91801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhill91801 Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 10:34pm
post #10 of 49

The cake is absolutely adorable! I would not go down on your price at all. For one thing, you're right about the frosting...she doesn't have to eat it just cuz it's there. It's a cake, it's supposed to have lots of frosting, and a child's cake at that! Yum-o! Looks great and I"m sure she'll love it. If she doesn't, make a little note of that in the back of your mind for the next time she wants to order...you may be busy. She may be one of those people who is never happy.

nenufares Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nenufares Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 10:37pm
post #11 of 49

Nooooooooooo!
You said 35... keep it that way. I think it looks great.
Don't feel bad and just keep it like a learning experience.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 10:38pm
post #12 of 49

$30 &
NOOOOOO!!!!!!! apologies of any sort.

pamthom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamthom Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 10:38pm
post #13 of 49

From what I can see you did a great job making this cake to your customer's specification. Do not reduce the price for any reason!

kelleym Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 10:40pm
post #14 of 49

You are all so sweet...thank you so much for your kind words. My husband just came home and he looked at it and said it was "exactly what she asked for". He also said there's nothing wrong with it. So I'm just gonna deliver it and act proud of it and hope for the best.

I wish we could be less hard on ourselves!

Botanesis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Botanesis Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 10:49pm
post #15 of 49

You should be PROUD of this cake! It is awesome awesome awesome!!!!!! There is no reason she won't love it, either.

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 10:51pm
post #16 of 49

Actually, you could have made elmo flat. You could have made the entire top of the cake an fbct, but....

I think your cake looks great!!!!

BTW, have we found the new version of bridezilla..............birthdayzilla?

kelleym Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 10:53pm
post #17 of 49

Doh! I should have done the entire top a FBCT. Ah well...live and learn.

Quote:
Quote:

BTW, have we found the new version of bridezilla..............birthdayzilla?

Heh icon_smile.gif She is a Mommyzilla. (I mean this in the nicest way possible. She is a very sweet person, just very, very particular.)

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 10:54pm
post #18 of 49

It's a really cute cake and she should be happy with it. I agree that there's something wrong with someone who doesn't like icing, my sister would tell you that's the only reason to have cake. icon_lol.gif

Ksue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ksue Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 10:56pm
post #19 of 49

It is fabulous!!! HECK NO, don't charge her less than $30 for it! You did an awesome job!

Ksue Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 11:01pm
post #20 of 49

And speaking of the no-icing people ... I had a potential bridezilla the other day tell me that she was afraid my cake would be "too rich."

Does anyone KNOW of a cake that isn't "too rich?"

Yeesh. That's cake is FOR! It's an indulgence, a treat, a celebration!

She's coming for a tasting next week. We shall see.

(Does she want her wedding cake to taste like salad or steamed broccoli or lean beef or something?)

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 11:03pm
post #21 of 49

UMMMM....are u KIDDING ME!!!

that looks awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you're going to take all the money from her, and more and you are not goign to apologize...

you are way too hard on yourself!

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 11:05pm
post #22 of 49

Holy Cow! Your red looks amazing, and so does the whole cake!! And for $30?? She should be grateful for you even being willing to do it at all after her being so picky. I feel sorry for the 2 year old, ha ha.
You keep doing what you're doing, I think you did a great job!

Ksue Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 11:07pm
post #23 of 49

AND - you should trademark that Mommyzilla name icon_wink.gif

There are SO many of them out there....

kelleym Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 11:10pm
post #24 of 49
Quote:
Quote:

And speaking of the no-icing people ... I had a potential bridezilla the other day tell me that she was afraid my cake would be "too rich."

At the restaurant I'm working at (where they use icing out of a bucket), I made some of my buttercream and the owner's daughter asked for a taste because it smelled so good (I use half butter/half crisco, with vanilla, butter, lemon and orange extracts). She took a small fingerfull and said "that is RICH! I don't eat many sweets." I wasn't even sure if that's a compliment? When did "rich" turn into a derogatory thing?

Quote:
Quote:

Your red looks amazing, and so does the whole cake!!

You gotta love Americolors icon_smile.gif And thank you, again, everyone.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 11:16pm
post #25 of 49

I was surprised to see such a beautiful cake. You had me prepared to look at a disaster! It looks perfect to me.

I agree with you about people who tell you exactly what they want. You get less freedom. Everybody who says, "do what you want" within a particular theme is very satisfied with what I come up with.

ape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 11:24pm
post #26 of 49

I'm with everyone else......it is a BEAUTIFUL elmo cake and you absolutely should not give it to her for less than $30!

Way to go....adorable!

ShelBell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelBell Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 11:28pm
post #27 of 49

I think your cake is ADORABLE!!!!!! Do not give it to her for less than $30!!!!!! We are our own worst critics!!!! You did a really good job!

cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 11:34pm
post #28 of 49

You should be very proud of this cake. It looks great! Charge her $30.00

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 11:35pm
post #29 of 49

Absolutely not! I was expecting to see a run of the mill Elmo cake when I began to scroll down to the picture. What I saw made me jump, literally, and saying "She's nuts!!". My daughter just looked at me and rolle3d her eyes. Do not give her any more of a discount!!! No, no. noooooooooooo!!!!!

kelleym Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 12:29am
post #30 of 49

You guys are all so sweet...I seriously think I have a "magic" camera tonight, because it seems to have edited out all the little blobs, wrinkles, shiny spots, and bloopers, and in its place left a fine looking cake. Trust me...the problems are there. I still see them, but I do feel better about it. It's as good as it's going to get, and I'm on my way to deliver. I just hope my "Mommyzilla" has a magic camera too icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%