Price List For Beginners....?

Business By suprena Updated 13 Jun 2007 , 10:35pm by leily

suprena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suprena Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 5:34am
post #1 of 3

I am new to the cake decorating world and I am not confident with the pricing and I am not getting a straight answer from my instructor. I have read through Alice's matrix and I understand some of it but I feel it is too complicated for my level at this time. I think it is an awesome tool and would love to use it in the future. However, does anyone have anything simple and quick for me to use? I have 2 decorated round cakes for Father's Day to do and 2 pound cakes by this weekend. Please help!!! Thanks!

2 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 3

You instructor may be hesitant because in most states, you need to be licensed in order to sell cakes.

You can use a simple formula of ingredients x 3 or 4, or just use a per serving charge.

you can also check the local bakeries for basic rates.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 3

a basic price list is so hard to come by because EVERY place is SOOO different. I have prices that are completely different than someone 30-40 mins away because of the area we are in and what the market can handle.

Calling bakeries is your best bet, but DO NOT call grocery stores. You are not in competition with them and there is no way to beat them. You need to call bakeries.

A lot of people go by the 3x rule, but for me that is not enough. I figured how much I want to earn per hour, about how much I can do in an hour and what my supplies and overhead are. Then I figured some basic prices. It took a lot of research and time to figure all of this out but it does work out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%