Need Help Deciding On Decorations

Decorating By birdgirl Updated 29 Jul 2006 , 9:50pm by oceanspitfire

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 12:03pm
post #1 of 7

Hi again. I am entering a cake in the fair and it has to be done by this next Tuesday. I want to design a tier cake that could be used for a wedding cake--so I can have a fake for a display. I made some chocolate clay in red and made a rose from that--turned out great. But I would like to use mums since it is a fall flower and I have a fall wedding cake to make. Would mums and roses go together? Or would a mum themed wedding cake not be fancy enough? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am making flowers today so I can go either way. Thanks!

6 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 12:10pm
post #2 of 7

Well fall colors are more in orange/yellows; in more deeper colors... I'm not sure how red roses would blend into that ... if going with a fall theme, I'd think you'd want to keep it more in mums/leaves in fall colors more so than red roses... just my opinion though

good luck and post pics!!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 12:15pm
post #3 of 7

red w/ shades of oranges and some yellows will work.

several trees, oak among them, will have brilliant red leaves in fall (esp. the pin oak which holds is dark crimson leaves all winter)

a rose tucked here and there among the mums and fall leaves could be pretty.

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 7

Check these out: lots of pics of different fall wedding flower combos to get ideas from
http://ca.search.yahoo.com/search/images?vc=&p=fall+wedding&fr=FP-tab-img-t&tab=&ei=UTF-8

(including combos with red roses icon_wink.gif )

MissT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissT Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 5:04pm
post #5 of 7

When I am in doubt about flowers looking good together I go to the experts - FTD.com, Telflorist.com, etc. Good luck!!

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 9:14pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you for the ideas. I am going to do roses--white and 2 shades of pink. This is not the fall colors I had wanted to do, but oh well. I made a long stem white rose with fondant and will place that centered on the top with a couple of groups of roses around it. I will hope to place a few clusters of roses around the bases of the 2 tiers and I even made a few rose petals to sprinkle on the base board. So we are playing with the fondant today! Hope to have pictures to post sometime Tuesday.

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 9:50pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissT

When I am in doubt about flowers looking good together I go to the experts - FTD.com, Telflorist.com, etc. Good luck!!

Great idea re: FTD! No need to reinvent the wheel- borrow help from the experts LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%