Using Tragacanth, Cmc Gum In Fondant...?

Decorating By bakerinut Updated 28 Jul 2006 , 4:03pm by kjgjam22

bakerinut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerinut Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 5

Have you ever used this gums? and if you do, what do these gums do in fondant? I've heard using them in gum paste, but I dont know how to use them in fondant

4 replies
gingerkitten79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerkitten79 Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 3:10am
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerinut

Have you ever used this gums? and if you do, what do these gums do in fondant? I've heard using them in gum paste, but I dont know how to use them in fondant

i believe they harden the fondant, set it solid. Useful for making flat panels, i saw it in a recipe for a fondant piano in an AUS book.
hope this helps,
Ginger x

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 3:17am
post #3 of 5

It will make the fondant dry faster and harder, great if you are making flowers with it or accent pieces you need firmed.

bakerinut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerinut Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 2:12pm
post #4 of 5

thank you for the information, then it's not necessary. I was worried because I wanted to make fondant for my self and I was not sure if I needed or not.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 4:03pm
post #5 of 5

i use gum trag and cmc in my fondant. i live in jamaica and its pretty humid here. when i do not use the gum trag the icing gets all wet and sticky and it shines. i dont like that at all. when i use the gums it keeps it from soaking up the wet air thus not getting sticky and shiny.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%