How Funny Doing Shower Cake For Bride That Went Elsewhere

Decorating By msmeg Updated 30 Jul 2006 , 4:29am by leta

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 12

I had an appointment set up with a bride and they wanted a cake tasting of several different cakes and had no idea what.... well I do not do cake tastings my people are all people who have had my cake..... she wanted marzapan pears.... which I KNOW I can do very well
They canceled because I would not bake seveal cakes for them to taste and can not do a refridgerated filling...

They canceled

soooo I got a call for a shower cake same theme same cake but smaller.... guess what she had referred them to me..... so here is the scoop I know the decorator they are going to and her cakes taste lousy and she can not refridgerate a whole finished cake either and charges ALOT to deliver to our town....

I know it is petty but this shower cake will be so good they will regret not using me for the wedding.... LOL

11 replies
mbalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbalis Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 12

I bet they love the shower cake, and will then place the wedding cake order!

[ or did they formally order from the other decorator already. ]

It's not petty icon_wink.gif

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 12

I've had the same type of thing happen to me! I was wondering if this had happened to any other decorators out there. You're right ... I'm sure they will regret not getting the wedding cake from you once they taste their wedding cake!!! People can be so strange!! icon_rolleyes.gif

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 11:23pm
post #4 of 12

It's crazy to expect you to bake cakes for them to taste!

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 11:28pm
post #5 of 12

I guess they had other reasons why they went with someone else, maybe there some connection between them. Your cakes are gorgeous. I'm sure you'll wow them with your cake!!

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 11:30pm
post #6 of 12

A cake tasting is pretty standard, isn't it?

I've only done two weddings where they just ordered and didn't TASTE.

However, I provide a tasting only if there's pretty much a guarantee that they're going to ORDER a wedding cake!

Am I missing something?

--Knox--

mdelmauro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdelmauro Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 11:40pm
post #7 of 12

I'm sure after they taste your cake they will be sorry that they didn't order the wedding cake from you. WOW them!!!

Some of the bakeries in the King of Prussia, Exton area (20 miles outside of Philadelphia, PA) do 3-5 inch one layer tasting cakes for brides to be, 2 flavors are free and others requested would be $6 each. These cakes are not really decorated, just frosted with the wedding cake flavor frosting requested.

I know about this from people I worked with and even helped them taste test some of the flavors. As I don't do any wedding cakes I don't know if this is something they just do in this area or elsewhere. I don't have a storefront, just do cakes out of the home.

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 2:59pm
post #8 of 12

I would have have no problem making a test cake but they had not idea what... she had my white and loved it but wanted something different but had no idea... and wanted fillings bu no idea what.... guess she had been watching food tv.....

I do really hope she is NOT using who I think she is and knows someone good but I will just make mine better..... hostess said this is the theme dod what you want... I LOVE to play... they get much better cakes that way really a bargain but I get to try new things

cake testings are not common in our area... one large bakery does them but in this case I doubt she would have done different flavors if the bride had no idea what she wanted just not white or chocolate and it had to go with chocolate frosting..... the bakery bakes and freezes left over batter for cake tastings I suppose same with fillings.... but I only do maybe 4 wedding cakes a year it is my fun not business at this time.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 11:29am
post #9 of 12

I have to disagree about the bride being unreasonable for wanting to taste different kinds of cakes. Most wedding cake designers do this as a part of the business - though I know a lot of people on this site do not. If you don't have to and get enough business to keep you happy, then that is wonderful. No one says you HAVE to do it, but it is more than reasonable for the bride to want to taste your different flavors. No one is expecting you to decorate multiple cakes - just offering plain cake and icing so they can mix and match and come up with their ideal combination(s.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 12:36pm
post #10 of 12

If it were up to me and they insisted on a cake tasting charge for it Im sure thats what other decorators do the customer just doesnt realize it when everything is totaled up.

Molly
icon_smile.gif

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 29 Jul 2006 , 3:13pm
post #11 of 12

Most cake decorators do charge for cake tastings, do they not? It's anywhere from $25 to $50 for the tasting appointment, and that is credited to the order if they place the order, and if they don't, it's not refundable, but you got paid for that time.

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 30 Jul 2006 , 4:29am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieB

Most cake decorators do charge for cake tastings, do they not? It's anywhere from $25 to $50 for the tasting appointment, and that is credited to the order if they place the order, and if they don't, it's not refundable, but you got paid for that time.

I don't think most decorators do charge for a tasting. Maybe in NY at high end bakeries.

I just take leftover torted cake and cut it into circles with a circle cutter. So I have a 1" layer about 2" in diameter. Do that for choc and white. I ice some with white icing and some with choc icing(which many people order as filling also.) I put one small scoop of choc mousse filling on some of the plain ones, and one small scoop of cheesecake filling on others. I keep them in the freezer, and thaw out before a tasting.

I set them up when I have leftover cake and or filling, so it's not really extra work for me.

There will always be those unwilling to sign a contract unless they taste the goods, but I imagine you could weed those out on the phone so you won't waste time meeting with them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%