Favorite Box Cake Mix?

Decorating By sugarMomma Updated 18 Jun 2007 , 12:53pm by JenniferL

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 10:56pm
post #1 of 14

For those of you that make modified cake box mixes, what is your brand of choice? Is one moister than the other?

13 replies
dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 14

Welcome to CC!

If you try a search in the forums you will find lots of threads on the subject and it mostly comes down to personal preference and experimentation.

I use Duncan Hines (DH) for most things but I use Pillsbury for my chocolate and carrot cakes. But these are the ones that I have found work for my tastes and recipes!

brwntab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brwntab Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 3:52am
post #3 of 14

I use DH also.

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 5:41am
post #4 of 14

BETTY CROCKER for me! I have always had a heck of a time with DH crumbling on me...but yup, it's all personal preference!!!!!!!

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 12:11pm
post #5 of 14

I use DH with added pudding, egg, and sour cream. It makes a moist cake with a fine crumb. My clients love it.

Susan

Missyleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Missyleigh Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 12:30pm
post #6 of 14

I use aldi store brand .75 per mix and really good

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 12:31pm
post #7 of 14

Duncan Hines (BC crumbles on me! haha) and sometimes I mix with a DH yellow with a BC pound for a firmer moist cake. Or, I use DH white or yellow or chocolate and do the extra egg and pudding mix. I always dump in pure vanilla too. I get lots of compliments on it.

If on the rare occasion I get a carrot cake or other specialty I will make it from scratch, but general cakes that they just want 3D or decorated I use the DH mixes.

Valentinemommy2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valentinemommy2002 Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 12:53pm
post #8 of 14

I use Pillsbury but that is also because I have 200 plus boxes in my basement from a big sale last November. Free is free......They were well for my recipes so why not!? The sale comes around at least once a year and I stock up.

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 12:58pm
post #9 of 14

I am a DH white cake lover. I add white choc pudding, cheesecake pudding, lemon pudding - well, you get the picture. I even use Jello for strawberry cakes...I've recently found the caramel pudding in the cups..PERFECT! I use DH devils food for choc (or white w/ devils food pudding in a pinch) and DH red velvet for RV cupcakes (only)..you could say I'm a DH fan...

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 1:10pm
post #10 of 14

DH though I am starting to make more scratch cakes.

Missyleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Missyleigh Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 6:04pm
post #11 of 14

you found cake mixes at a sore that were free? I guess I am confused . Do you freeze them to keep them fresh.

sweetstampen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetstampen Posted 17 Jun 2007 , 8:58pm
post #12 of 14

I use DH all the time. I substitute a child's plastic tub of applesauce for the butter and add a little almond flavor and vanilla bean paste.

I also LOVE Trader Joe's Vanilla cake mix... it has TONS of vanilla beans already in the batter. I still add almond and applesauce.

Holly

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 12:41pm
post #13 of 14

I will only use Pillsbury. I don't alter it at all!

JenniferL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferL Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 12:53pm
post #14 of 14

I like DH French Vanilla and use it for any recipes that start with a white cake mix. Usually, I pick up a DH first unless they don't make the flavor that I need. I guess they sucker me in with that little Wilton stamp on the box! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%