Wilton Wonder Mold Pan Missing Piece...how Can I>>>

Decorating By ButtercreamCakeArtist Updated 19 Jun 2007 , 5:46pm by ibmoser

ButtercreamCakeArtist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtercreamCakeArtist Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 14

I borrowed a wonder mold pan from my sister, since I have yet to get one. THe rod is missing. If I bake it without the rod, will it overbake on the outside and not get done in the center?
Any suggestions? I'm making this on FRIDAY. THanks!

13 replies
pookster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookster Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 10:25pm
post #2 of 14

i lost the piece to my wonder mold pan to...i tried baking it without the core and my cake was very dark on the outside and raw in the middle....so i went to a bakery where i used to work and thank goodness my old boss had an extra one.....mabey a hardwood store would have something you could use...i'm not sure if a flower nail would be to small....sorry, i know not much help....

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 10:27pm
post #3 of 14

options>

short term -- a very tightly rolled piece of aluminum foil

a very long stainless steel bolt or piece of copper tubing or piece of stainless steel rod (Home Depot expotition time!)

long term -- order replacement part from wilton.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 14

I have this same problem and I thought about doing what doug suggested and buying something from home depot, but I was to scared it would not be food safe friendly .. what do you guys think?

aurasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aurasmom Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 14

I used a piece of copper tubing. It works fine.

Doug Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 12:04am
post #6 of 14

copper tubing from the plumbing dept is food safe -- after all it is what delivers the water to your faucet....just be sure to wash it really well first.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 12:09am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

copper tubing from the plumbing dept is food safe -- after all it is what delivers the water to your faucet....just be sure to wash it really well first.

icon_lol.gif For some reason I found that really funny. I was thinking the same thing.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 12:13am
post #8 of 14

doh! I did not even think of that! Thanks again!

ritterwoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ritterwoman Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 3:32am
post #9 of 14

Along the same line, can you bake a cake in the kitchen aid stand mixer bowl instead of the wonder mold pan?

Doug Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 12:16pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritterwoman

Along the same line, can you bake a cake in the kitchen aid stand mixer bowl instead of the wonder mold pan?

well, yes... but....

of course it will have that fun little dent in the top...

and you'll definitely want to create a central heating core rod of aluminum foil as that bowl will hold a lot(!) of batter.

then you'll want to bake at 325 so the edges and bottom don't burn while waiting for middle to bake.

ritterwoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ritterwoman Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 12:38pm
post #11 of 14

Cool thanks Doug, I just wanted to make sure it was oven safe, I guess a glass bakeware bowl would do the trick to. I was at a bakery last week, and they had a barbie doll cake, and the cake part was much larger than the wonder mold pan, so I suspected it was the kitche aid mixer bowl. icon_smile.gif

ButtercreamCakeArtist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtercreamCakeArtist Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 7:21pm
post #12 of 14

great ideas. I had thought about the copper tubing idea. I wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas, too. Thanks to you all!! Would the aluminum foil not be hard to dig out of the middle of the cake after baking?? I'm thinking if I go that route, I may wrap it around a bamboo skewer or something first.

I have also thought about using my KA bowl, but since it is of heavier construction than the aluminum wonder mold, it may take forever to bake ALL THE BATTER IT WOULD HOLD!

I was going to try the Pyrex glass bowl idea. I may bake a round cake or something to put under it for more height, if I go that way.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 11:33pm
post #13 of 14

I've actually used a metal turkey baster in my Wonder Mold when I could not find the insert. Just popped the bulb off and put it in - worked great and gave me a larger hole to fit a Barbie-type doll in. icon_wink.gif

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 5:46pm
post #14 of 14

My DH just bought an aluminum rod for me from Home Depot - it came in several different diameters in solid and hollow tubing. A three-foot section was only about $3.50. He also bought a piece of flat aluminum about 1 inch wide and three feet long for about the same price. He bent the flat strip into a bridge and drilled out a hole in the center to support the rod (which he cut to about 5" long), so it stays upright in the center of the pan. I can now use this contraption for the football, the large egg, the big soccer ball - anything shaped like that. He made two of them for me - I used one in each half of the small 3-D sports ball and used both in the football several inches apart- it helped even out the baking tremendously. Gotta love a handy DH thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%