Viva Paper Towels To Smooth Buttercream?

Decorating By Sweetcakes23 Updated 27 Jul 2006 , 6:30pm by kastle

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 5:35am
post #1 of 18

I'm reading alot about this technique using Viva towels to smooth Buttercream. Could someone please explain how this is done? It sounds like everyone is very happy with the results.

17 replies
cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 5:42am
post #2 of 18

If you do a search you will get hundreds of thread on it - all good info!
Shirt story - ice the cake with buttercream - let it crust a few minutes - lay a WHITE VIVA paper towel down and GENTLY smooth over it with your hand or a spreader. VIOLA! smooth cake.
Read the threads they go into great detail.

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 18

Thanks so much! This site is so helpful!

shelli72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelli72 Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 2:32pm
post #4 of 18

I love using the viva method, my cakes have never turned out so smooth. It is the fastest and easiest way that I have found to smooth out a cake.

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 18

I agree- works like a charm! I have also used textured paper towels (i.e.- cheap other brands) that will leave an imprint in the icing and you have a fun littlle design like circles or diamonds after you are done smoothing.

Chicklet74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chicklet74 Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 2:39pm
post #6 of 18

dumb question - is the paper towel damp or dry?

mhill91801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhill91801 Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 2:43pm
post #7 of 18

Dry.

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 2:49pm
post #8 of 18

I also use parchment paper and white computer paper with excellent results.

sdanczak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdanczak Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 5:41pm
post #9 of 18

I used the paper towel method this weekend and it worked like majic. I imprinted a name in the wrong spot on the cake and used the Viva towel and smoothed it right out. I will never go back to the parchment paper method again icon_razz.gif

butterflyjuju Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflyjuju Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 7:31pm
post #10 of 18

I have a roll of Viva that says on the outside of the package FOR CAKES ONLY DO NOT USE. Hubby loves them but they are too expensive for us to use everyday. I don't make that many cakes yet so one roll is all I need right now.

sheronc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheronc Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 11:59pm
post #11 of 18

That's funny... I thought I was the only one who used computer paper! It works pretty well but I don't have anything else to compare it to. I just bought a roll of Viva yesterday to try out next month on a wedding cake. I can't wait to see what all the buzz is about! I'm sure Viva must work better because there isn't alot of mention about paper being used.

aslate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aslate Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 12:05am
post #12 of 18

This is the ONLY way to smooth a cake in my humble opinion! I love it. I have tried other ways, only to be disappointed with the results. Viva is the best!

ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 3:48am
post #13 of 18

A stupid question I know, but why doesnt the cream stick to the icing? Even if its cold, I would have thought it would come off?

Theav Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Theav Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 4:11am
post #14 of 18

Every time that I have tried it, the frosting stuck. I would guess that it means that my frosting was not dry enough, too much moisture.

cowdex Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 4:19am
post #15 of 18

Hey, if anyone has the sterilite 7 drawer roller cart - 2 rolls fit perfect in the bottom drawers - out of everyones sight!

cowdex Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 4:21am
post #16 of 18

Be sure you are using a buttercream that will crust a bit. I usually wait 30 - 60 minutes before I try it.

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 5:55pm
post #17 of 18

Just my two cents. I tried the viva method like three times with my regular buttercream which is made with crisco and has meringue powder in it. I thought this was considered a crusting buttercream but I could never get it to smooth out. It either stuck to the towel or I would smooth and none of the lines would come out. I don't know if this is due to the high humidity here or what. Then I tried the recipe that's posted on here that has flour in it and it worked, but in my opinion the icing tastes terrible. Anyway, I wanted to add this because I saw one of the posts said that they could never get it to work.

kastle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kastle Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 6:30pm
post #18 of 18

I have not tried the Viva method yet (can't seem to find that brand) but is the buttercream dream recipe on this site considered a crusting frosting? I have a cake to make next week and I am using the buttercream dream frosting. If the viva towels work on it, I need to go on a search for some.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%