No Supports On Bronwen's Cake?

Decorating By Marina Updated 13 Jun 2007 , 10:09pm by moydear77

Marina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marina Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 3:46am
post #1 of 40

I just finished watching the Food Network Challenge on Disney Villains. Bronwen made Ursella from The Little Mermaid. She put layers upon layers of cake, but I didn't see any supports!!! It didn't lean or fall or anything...how is that possible???

39 replies
tigerlilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerlilly Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 4:01am
post #2 of 40

it has not aired yet in ca but i will be sure to watch for that

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 5:39am
post #3 of 40

Actually she did...there were some separator plates in there...I Tivo'd it thumbs_up.gif

Lizzard1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzard1 Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 5:52am
post #4 of 40

icon_biggrin.gif I was watching that show a little while ago and I didnt get to see the end of it! Who won??

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 5:54am
post #5 of 40

Mike McClary won with his Captain Hook cake. These people are so talented.

Wendoger Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 5:56am
post #6 of 40

Oh man....me and the hubby were sittin' here in awe of Mike's cake....absolutley marvelous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tallmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tallmama Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 6:07am
post #7 of 40

she had to make holes in the middle of each layer to fit it over a pole that was down the middle. I loved this challenge!!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 6:15am
post #8 of 40

It was one of the best challenges I've seen in a long time. thumbs_up.gif

The cakes were very original and so creative. icon_biggrin.gif

1st and 2nd places were only 3 points apart. icon_eek.gif

I think there should have been a tie for 1st, with $5,000.00 for each. tapedshut.gif

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 1:14pm
post #9 of 40

I fell asleep..........who one first, second, etc? My husband was watching with me.........I think he now understands why I am so obsessed with doing cakes!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 1:14pm
post #10 of 40

My favorite was the 101 Dalmations cake. What talent to be able to paint all of the pictures on the cake. They are all very talented though, but it was nice to see something/someone new (If he has been on a challenge before, I don't think I've seen him).

AmandaPanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaPanda Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 1:38pm
post #11 of 40

Bronwins cake had that large center support looked like PVC.

gidgetsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetsmom Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 1:38pm
post #12 of 40

My daughter in law and I watched it. I think it was one of the most entertaining challenges so far - and great subject matter.

Mike's creation was amazing as usual - but where was the cake?? We were trying to figure that out last night. I was really disappointed in his lack of respect for his fellow competitors though once he was done. He's got way too much experience with these challenges to have done that.

I think the 101 Dalmations was my fave too - very true to the movie.

I would have loved to see what Bronwen could have done with Ursula without the time constraints.

ch0psuey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ch0psuey Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 1:50pm
post #13 of 40

I didn't think anything of Mike's jokes -- he was just having fun.

Personally, although Cruella and the detail in that cake was AMAZING, I thought the actual villian was too small to win. The other cakes had their subject matter much larger, and Cruella was rather small in proportion.

Love the Captain Hook cake!!

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 2:24pm
post #14 of 40

I loved this challenge too. I really didn't like the Cruella cake much. i thought it was really small.... and i'm pretty sure tons of people here could pull that off. of course not me...
I loved the Captain Hook, i'm glad he won. i too didn't think much of his jokes, til they mentioned it.

Wendoger Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 2:58pm
post #15 of 40

Like someone else said, because it was pretty obvious Mike was gonna win, they had to say something to him...lol....I mean, he is such an outstanding sculptor and perfectionist when it comes to doing those huge fancy cakes...we all just KNEW he was gonna win!
thumbs_up.gif

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 3:32pm
post #16 of 40

As always I enjoyed it!! icon_smile.gif I just wished they would make the show 2 hours or more! Foodtv needs to show more on how they do the supports, how they do certain techniques. We wanta know!!!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 7:19pm
post #17 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaPanda

Bronwins cake had that large center support looked like PVC.

I just finished watching on TIVO, and she definately had PVS in there. They showed her stacking all the layers onto it in the beginning.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 8:28pm
post #18 of 40

That was a great show, glad Mike won because his truly was the best cake, but Richard's Cruella was awfully good too. I think Bronwen added supports at a time when the camera's weren't on her. Although, remember the cereal skyscraper challenge where they made Duff remove the doweling supports or lose points? So, maybe she didn't have any in there. That would be scary because fondant is heavy, and then having to move the cake to the table too. I felt bad for Mike when he was scolded by the judge for entertaining the audience while the other competitors were still working on their cakes. I hadn't thought of it while he was doing that, but it would be distracting for others hurrying to finish under the clock. But it's wasn't much louder than Bronwen's electric knife. icon_biggrin.gif
Edited to say I didn't notice the PVC pipe, I must have been looking at something else at the time. I really don't care for the guy from Carlo's bakery, he has been on in the past and seems kind of full of himself. But I did feel awful that his lion's head fell off.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 10:41pm
post #19 of 40

Ahhhh Man...I can't wait for it to air here!!

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 10:48pm
post #20 of 40

I was at the cereal challenge. Keegan writes the rules for most of the cahllenges. That particular challenge support was not allowed. In a cake challenge they are allowed.
It was a catch 22 cuz Momo had a acrylic piece that was in queston.

angienajjar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angienajjar Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 10:48pm
post #21 of 40

Saw the show....I am an ADDICT to Food Network Channel......thank goodness for technology....we can view the network all the way here in Trinidad in the West Indies!!!! yea!!!
The cakes were blowmind.....would love to be able to sculpt like that!!! Never tried it, but I understand the cakes are sculpted when frozen.....makes sense....
My fave was the Cruella (including the the paw prints) and of course the winner - Captain Hook - what talent!!!

jenjenjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenjenjen Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 3:20am
post #22 of 40

I thought I saw in the very beginning pvc or one of those tall cake columns in the center of the cake as she put each layer on.

Aren't those shows just wonderful!!!!!

jenjenjen

MCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCook Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 7:38pm
post #23 of 40

I,too, was glued to my TV. Wish I could have been in the audience!
It was amazing how Bronwen just dove in with her electric knife without so much as marking the cake first! My Wilton Instructor told us in class last night that she has taken classes from her and said that is how she always has done any character cakes--never used character pans(even in her beginning days) but always sculpted everything. Their artwork is just amazing. Captain Hook was perfect. His expression was awesome. I had never seen any of these people's work before so I was completely captivated.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 7:59pm
post #24 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by gidgetsmom

Mike's creation was amazing as usual I was really disappointed in his lack of respect for his fellow competitors though once he was done. He's got way too much experience with these challenges to have done that.

This was concocted to throw the viewer off. Don't you think if it was distracting anyone, that it would have been stopped right then and there? The lady judge really ticked me off by portraying Mike in that fashion, as uncaring and obnoxious....but it made for "good TV", I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCook

It was amazing how Bronwen just dove in with her electric knife without so much as marking the cake first!

actually, the cake was marked.....she did a nice job carving it...but her colors were WAAAAAYYYY off. I thought it had potential, but not after I saw it painted.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 11:33pm
post #25 of 40

I did see the large pvc pipe going down through the middle of Bronwen's cake, but I couldn't tell if she had any boards between the layers. I didn't see any carboard pieces when she was carving either, but I'm curious. I would really love to see how they put together all their support structures.

I agree, Bronwen's electric knife would be just as loud/annoying as Mike entertaining the crowd. Plus, when you are in the "cake zone" you don't notice anything in the background!

Courtney

keepontryin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keepontryin Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 12:39am
post #26 of 40

Were Mike's jokes any more annoying than cameras in the face and questions from Keegan? These are truly professional people and I think they could work through anything. I was at the surprise cake challange a few years ago. The one that Collette won (that Mike should have) and there are so many distractions. They even joke amongst themselves.

As a matter of fact I got a bowl of Collette's leftover ganache and had her autograph it for me. She thought that was hysterical. PS> hubby washed the autograph off icon_sad.gif

agagnier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agagnier Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:22pm
post #27 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by gidgetsmom

My daughter in law and I watched it. I think it was one of the most entertaining challenges so far - and great subject matter.

Mike's creation was amazing as usual - but where was the cake?? We were trying to figure that out last night. I was really disappointed in his lack of respect for his fellow competitors though once he was done. He's got way too much experience with these challenges to have done that.

I think the 101 Dalmations was my fave too - very true to the movie.

I would have loved to see what Bronwen could have done with Ursula without the time constraints.

My husband and I were wondering the same thing. Mike's cake was not a cake. The crocodile was made from chocolate and hook wasn't cake either, so where was the cake????
As far as the PVC I saw it. It was a big piece conected to a base and she slid her cake right over the top.

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:43pm
post #28 of 40

Well, all I can say is my hat goes off for each and everyone of them for performing in public like that. I know you get in your "zone" but with all those distractions and audience watching the entire 7 hours it must be nerve wracking. Finally, at the end with my husband and two daughters (21 and 17) watching with me, each daughter turned to me and put in their order for their next cakes (i.e., one for Captain Hook and one for Dalmations). Huh, like I could ever do anything even close to what we saw Sunday night. Well, at least its nice to think, they think I could.

I'll get to see it first hand on July 1st when my husband and I go to Nashville to watch the Celebrity Cake Decorating Contest (in person)! I can't wait.

BTW keepontryin
, do they let you take pictures during the competition? I would so love to be able to. My memory just isn't what it use to be.

Judy

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:55pm
post #29 of 40

The challenge in Nashville will certainly be interesting with the pros decorating with country music stars...

http://www.tjmartellfoundation.org/events/events_nashville.las?article=9653

in case anyone is interested.

Stoomp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stoomp Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:57pm
post #30 of 40

I thought Mike's treasure chest was cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%