Hard Candy

Sugar Work By darcat Updated 26 Jul 2006 , 6:53pm by darcat

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 10:34pm
post #1 of 3

I had made some humbug candies for my mom and they turned out great. The problem is that I put them in an airtight container and after a few days they softened and went sugary. Any suggestions? Was it the container or maybe I didnt leave the sugar boil long enough?

Thanks Darlene icon_cry.gif

2 replies
SugarCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarCreations Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 1:11am
post #2 of 3

What happens with hard candies is that the "fructose" in the granulated sugar begins to suck all the moisture into the candy thats the dirty little rascal that causes all the moisture problems. You want to use a sugar low in fructose if you add an acid you may think your not adding any moisture but you are since acids break down sucrose (granulated sugar) into its two main components fructose and glucose. Therefore for a good hard candy you want to stay away from fructose or any acid that will form it. As far them getting soft thats why. One thing you can do is roll the hard candy in sugar after you make them this prevents fructose from absorbing any moisture. Best thing to do is not make anymore than you will consume in a day or two and do not refrigerate them.....

Rgds Sugarcreations

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks will try rolling them in sugar. It was just that I was making several types of hard candies and did not want to be doing them all the same day lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%