Duncan Hines Strikes Again!

Decorating By lanesmom Updated 18 Aug 2007 , 9:23pm by sbarri

lanesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanesmom Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 11:29pm
post #1 of 93

I know, I know. A lot has been said about the problems people are having with duncan hines cake mixes but this is the first time it has happened to me. I have made 2 different cakes today from 2 different DH mixes using the super enhanced cake formula recipe and both of them have sunk in the middle, never rose. Almost as flat as it was when I poured the batter in the pan. icon_mad.gif Now, I have to make a special trip to the store tomorrow to buy more mixes and ingredients and I'm not talking just a short little jaunt down to the corner grocery store. It's a 30-mile round trip, and that's just to the little grocery store in the closest town! If I was to go to the closest walmart, it would be a 60-mile round trip. I am so mad at DH! I have always used their mixes and have never had any problems. Which should I use, betty crocker or pillsbury? Once I accidentally grabbed some betty crocker mixes by mistake and they seemed to turn out pretty good. I've never used pillsbury.

92 replies
Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 11:43pm
post #2 of 93

I've always used the betty crocker never had a problem with it. Sorry to hear so many people are having a difficult time with DH. I'm sure they'll fix whatever the problem is once they notice a drop in sales.

ladeebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladeebug Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 93

lanesmom, funny you should mention this. I have always used DH's cake mixes and just today, baked several cakes. Dark choc fudge sunk in the middle and the lemon didn't rise. I doctored them for stacking, but very disappointed. Will follow this thread to see what others say. Thanks for bringing it up.

julesn20716 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesn20716 Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 11:59pm
post #4 of 93

I've always used DH but recently I've been having problems too. Mine are rising ok but then the tops of my cakes have been breaking open a lot. I wonder if maybe we should all email them and let them know - ask what they've done to change everything otherwise how do they know?

Tallmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tallmama Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 12:10am
post #5 of 93

I perfer Pillsbury because I think it is a little moister due to the pudding they add to their mixes. Although there are some of the doctored up cake mix recipes that ask for mixes without pudding. I guess it all depends on what recipe you are doing. Sorry to hear your having problems. It never happens when you have extra mixes or extra time icon_cry.gif

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 12:16am
post #6 of 93

I always use DH never have problems......

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 12:37am
post #7 of 93

Been using DH for years and no problems. In fact just did very large dark chocolate fudge in my photos for grooms cake on Friday. It rose above the pans and I had to level out. I always use a flowernail in the center no matter what size cake I' m baking and bake at 325.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 12:41am
post #8 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurrette

I always use DH never have problems......

Ditto!!!

lanesmom Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 3:30am
post #9 of 93

ladeebug, I used the dark chocolate fudge too. I usually use French Vanilla.

For those of you who say you have never had any problems with DH, I used to be the same way, until today. I was very loyal to DH but I can't afford to make 2 or 3 trips to the store to replace ingredients and bake cakes 2 or 3 different times. I always thought everyone who was having problems was doing something wrong. I guess I was the one who was wrong. : (

lanesmom Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 7:38pm
post #10 of 93

Ok, so I went to the store and bought some betty crocker chocolate fudge mixes. I baked one up and it rose in the middle but IT STUCK TO THE PAN! I also don't think it tastes as good as duncan hines. What's a girl to do? So, I scraped it off the bottom of the pan and pieced it back together. I'm gonna use that sucker if it's the last thing I do! I have never had so much problem baking cakes in my life!

Bashevita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bashevita Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 11:43pm
post #11 of 93

I was just making a cake for my brothers restaurant...and when I took it out...Found it was ruined...Of course...DH. I wonder what it is... icon_mad.gif

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 11:50pm
post #12 of 93

I can't believe this topic appeared today. I have always been a very loyal fan of DH, but today I baked two cakes and they both fell! I've been baking cakes for years and never had this happen! I thought I'd done something wrong. I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem.

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 11:52pm
post #13 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by julesn20716

I've always used DH but recently I've been having problems too. Mine are rising ok but then the tops of my cakes have been breaking open a lot. I wonder if maybe we should all email them and let them know - ask what they've done to change everything otherwise how do they know?

I actually went on the DH website a few weeks ago and emailed them about this problem. All I received was a generic response stating that if I had a problem with their product I needed to send them the lot numbers off the box so they can "investigate." Well I didn't have the box and I wasn't talking aout one specific box, just changes to their products in general. I really meant to pursue it further because I can't stand bad customer service, but I've been busy lately and haven't had a chance to contact them again.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 11:57pm
post #14 of 93

I had this happen to me too. I called them. I gave them the lot number and the girl said they did have this problem on a few different types of flavors but not the one I used. Which was the chocolate fudge one too. I'm getting a free coupon to buy another one. Big deal. What about the cost of the other stuff that went into the cake?? What about my time? What about having to rebake the whole cake over???

I will NOT buy DH anymore. I've switched and so far have been just as happy.

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 12:01am
post #15 of 93

I use DH almost all the time as well..
I baked cupcakes last week and they rose real nice..when they cooled they sunk in the middle..
UGH!! Never happened to me before... and these were cupcakes!!!!

tomsmom245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomsmom245 Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 1:43pm
post #16 of 93

I love DH and am very loyal to them. I thought that this was just happening to me..like I was doing something wrong! Glad I read this post...happens to me ALL the time with te DH white and Devils food. I use several flower nails and it still happens... icon_sad.gif

I love their cakes and don't want to switch but the sinking is REALLY stressing me out!

Ashlee

MandyE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyE Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 1:49pm
post #17 of 93

I'm a Betty Crocker girl myself. Recently bought Pillsbury because they were WAY cheaper. Won't ever do that again. My cakes just wouldn't cook and then when they were 'done' they looked burned. I don't know, they just don't cook as nice and moist as my Betty Crocker mix does. Never used DH, but after my Pillsbury experience I don't think I'll stray from Betty again.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 1:58pm
post #18 of 93

I have always used DH too.....and for the most part really no problems. After reading all the post I can relate to the middle sinking too. I just thought it was me..peaking to early....wrong temp.....Hummmmm..

Well I have to bake 75 cup cakes and a cake this week end...with DH (I bought 24 boxes - ON SALE....) will post after baking.....

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 1:59pm
post #19 of 93

I used DH for a while and tried Betty Crocker a while back when they were on sale. I was super impressed with how much nicer BC rises. I haven't bought DH since. They just don't rise as well, IMHO.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 2:03pm
post #20 of 93

I know that I am torn. I too became dedicated to DH after reading posts from this site. All I use is DH, but last week I had a whole batch of WHite undercook. The tops rose, picks came out clean, however when I leveled them, there was a big air pocket under the top crust and full of goo!

I had to rebake. But I guess I will keep on using them until it becomes a consistant problem. I think that I will try adding a tsp baking powder when I extend the recipes to help ensure that there is extra levening. Also, if using creamer, only sub 1/2 the water for creamer.

Good Luck

Stephanie

brnrlvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brnrlvr Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 2:03pm
post #21 of 93

I am wondering if you guys that are having problems are talking about using the mixes straight out of the box, or ones that you have doctored?

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 2:05pm
post #22 of 93

I don't use anything other that DH, and have never had a problem..... I'm noticing a pattern here....... most of the people that are having problems, are using enhanced recipes..... ( adding pudding, extra eggs, sour cream, etc.) Could THIS be the problem and not DH ? Maybe their new formula will not hold up to the "extras" ? The only thing I do is add almond flavoring, and sub. mayo for the oil..... No problem....

lanesmom Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 2:06pm
post #23 of 93

I always doctor my mixes. This time I used the super enhanced formula. I had thought about maybe adding some extra baking powder to it to see if that might help. I really like the way DH tastes and I don't want to switch. I might have to try that and see what happens.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 2:13pm
post #24 of 93

I only use DH and the only problem I've had was with some cupcakes that sunk very badly on cooling. But that was when I used the enhanced recipe. I've found the dark chocolates take longer to bake so takes some patience.
You have to remember that you can't add additional wet ingredients and not add dry too. I wonder too if this isn't where some are running into big problems when they change the recipe.

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 2:15pm
post #25 of 93

Now I understand... it wasn't me it was the mix! I always use DH except when I want a special flavor that they don't carry. I had a few problems with some Devil's food cakes.. but I understand why now. This week I bought some generic brand and it was raising more than my DH, and with the doctored recipe, the taste is almost the same. So I guess I'll stay with generic from now on (and I save at least 0.30$ per recipe)

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 2:16pm
post #26 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegal

I use DH almost all the time as well..
I baked cupcakes last week and they rose real nice..when they cooled they sunk in the middle..
UGH!! Never happened to me before... and these were cupcakes!!!!

I've had that happen to me as well with the DH Butter Recipe!! Also, when I used the Butter Recipe for a regular cake, each time, it sunk in the middle!! I sent them an email with all the information and told them what happened and I got coupons for free DH cake mixes!!

I still use DH, I just don't use the Butter Golden Recipe; I just use the basic Yellow cake mix and doctor it with butter!!

BoothsBest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BoothsBest Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 2:18pm
post #27 of 93

I use both DH and BC, which ever is cheapest, and have not had any problems with either. I just made a batch of cupcakes with DH and added extra egg, pudding, and vanilla. Did not have any problems.

I will never use Pillsbury. Had way too many problems in the past.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 2:23pm
post #28 of 93

I wonder if the changes are because of alterations companies have to now make with regards to the new laws governing trans fats? icon_confused.gif

(I don't use mixes, so I'm not much help otherwise....but I've watched the threads about Crisco and thought maybe this might be what's changed for cake mixes too?)

mrsg1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsg1111 Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 2:29pm
post #29 of 93

I've never had any problems... 2 things that i do that may help are: 1- use the wilton belts. they are the belts that you wet in cold water, then wrap it around your baking pan and pin it. It slows down the cooking process on the outside so the center cooks at the same time. It also prevents the dome on top. The 2nd thing is I bake at about 10 degrees lower then what the recipe calls for. My cakes always come out leveled on top! icon_biggrin.gif

D77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
D77 Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 2:42pm
post #30 of 93

icon_sad.gif Well that sucks!!!! I always use BC and I have never had a problem.... I never use anything else, I also use my little "formula" and every one loves it....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%