Duncan Hines Strikes Again!

Decorating By lanesmom Updated 18 Aug 2007 , 9:23pm by sbarri

CKelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CKelly Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 12:06am
post #61 of 93

I'm happy to report that I just baked 2 sheet cakes and used DH classic yellow with no problems..Whew!! Y'all had me scared..I bought about 8 boxes last week cause it was on sale..

Juneclever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juneclever Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 12:39am
post #62 of 93

I'm so glad to hear that you didn't have a problem with DH either. I hope that what everyone is experiencing ends soon. But I just used 13 boxes of DH for a wedding cake 2 weeks ago with no problem. Believe me, I was very careful with the mixing and the baking. On pins and needles every time I opened the oven.

mrshicks2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrshicks2002 Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 4:22am
post #63 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncgirl00

I baked a DH chocolate fudge cake on Father's Day and it fell, too. I thought it was something I did wrong. First time this has happened. The edges looked overcooked, it sunk in the middle and it was gooey in places.

I always have this problem as well with the DH butter and I just love how it taste. I always have overcooked edges with the middle not getting very done, so when I let it cook longer I have a nice middle with a little overcooked cake. I have to end up cutting the edges off and taking it from there. I have also tried using the flower nail and its still not working for me at cooking all the way in the center so I usually have to end up cuttting a whole in the center thats not done just so it could get heat to make it cook right.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do?

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 5:00am
post #64 of 93

I sent an email to Duncan Hines along with a link to this thread.

Juneclever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juneclever Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 1:05pm
post #65 of 93

I think that DH Golden Butter is the best flavor that they make!! I make it as often as I can when my customers let me make the choice. I hope you hear back from DH soon, so we can clear up this problem. It's scary when you are putting money into other ingredients, butter, eggs etc for this to happen. Not to mention, loss of time and less than perfect cake for your customers.

MandyE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyE Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 1:52pm
post #66 of 93

I just had to bake a DH cake this weekend. I needed a lemon recipe. I bought the lemon cake mix and doctored it up a bit. My only complaint was that it seemed to brown pretty fast. I ended up turning the oven down to 325 because I was afraid the top would burn. Other than that it came out ok (but didn't like the texture as much as BC). So, I'm still a BC girl, but in a pinch, I think DH is ok, but I'm still not going near Pillsbury again! icon_biggrin.gif

Kimskakes23336 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimskakes23336 Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 3:22pm
post #67 of 93

I'm glad I found this post! I just started making cakes and thought DH was the better mix. I will be switching to Betty Crocker. I didn't have a problem with my cakes falling, but I did notice that when I made four sheets for a layerd cake two of the layers came out much lighter in color that the other two. They were all DH yellow cake mix, bought at the same time and I made them all the same way. I thought the color difference was odd. I too am over 30 miles from a grocery store. Luckily there was no difference in the tast.

HeatherBecker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherBecker Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 4:52am
post #68 of 93

You know, I had never noticed a problem with DH cakes before. But I had gotten in to the habit of buying Betty Crocker. The other day I had a disaster with my cake...(broken crystal cake plate, upside down cake, glass in frosting...not a pretty picture. What was really upsetting is that the cake up unitl that point had been perfect...it was BC). I went to the store and bought DH to replace it because it was on sale. One of the layers sunk in like you guys have been mentioning. I didn't think that had happened before and didn't know what I had done. Now I realize it was the cake mix. Now I am glad that I prefer the BC and will continue to use it.

Jesjacster2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jesjacster2 Posted 5 Jul 2007 , 4:59am
post #69 of 93

I baked my hubby's friends wife a cake today with DH...was great..now I'm worried I bought a few boxes so I could do by oldest his 5 year old birthday cake saturday..I will keep my finger crossed

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 4:25am
post #70 of 93

I usually use DH, but bought BC for this week's tastings, and I think I have switched. I doctored a yellow cake mix to make red velvet and it was very velvety. The chocolate fudge was very good, and the white doctored to amaretto was much finer tasting, more subtly almond.
Glad I didn't get DH after reading this thread!
No problem with the BC sticking, I don't grease my pans, just parchment paper on the bottom, then run a knife around the edge to release them. I get a much smaller crown that way, and an early trim on the browned parts. They popped right out!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 4:42am
post #71 of 93

I have been using DH Classic Yellow for years now with no problems. I love it! Someone did stock the shelves wrong where I shop & put the Butter Recipe behind the Classic Yellow & I wound up with 10 Butter Recipes. I didn't know that they weren't Yellow till I baked 3 cakes. Everyone failed! But then again I was putting the same ingredients that the yellow calls for LOL! After I figured out that I was using the wrong ingredients I decided to make 1 more cake & go exactly by the box directions for the butter recipe. It failed again. I still have several boxes & keep saying I'm gonna bring them back & I keep forgetting. So I don't know what's up with DH. I haven't had a problem with the yellow & gosh, I hope I don't! It's my fav! I use the cake mix extender with it sometimes, I add coffee creamer instead of milk & it's sooo yummy! I don't like BC or any other mixes. I don't use the chocolate mixes. I always make my chocolate cakes homemade. thumbs_up.gif

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 4:54am
post #72 of 93

If you ever try an ice cream cake, the Betty Crocker TRIPLE CHOCOLATE FUDGE is superb. Recipe calls for 1/3 cup oil. I add about 1-2 teaspoons more oil. The extra oil allows the cake to melt more quickly, to that of the ice cream (per Baskin Robbins expert featured on "Unwrapped".) It's delicious, moist and never gives me trouble.

valenzrp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valenzrp Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 5:09am
post #73 of 93

Wow! wish i had read this thread before baking my first wedding cake today...I have always used DH and never had a problem before today. I used the classic white, baked three different batches and they all failed. Ended up using different sections of all three to get my bottom tier done. I might try BC next time.

nanny4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanny4 Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 5:25am
post #74 of 93

Gosh, I did have a problem with DH sticking in pans & I had to bake more. What is it that causes this to happen with DH? I couldn't think of anything different I did to cause this to happen .
Thanks !!
Linda (nanny 4)

Debbie1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbie1957 Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 10:37am
post #75 of 93

Well, I finally baked a chocolate DH and it didn't stick......I left it in the oven an extra 5 minutes or so. Even though I've been decorating for over 20 years I'm not nearly as accomplished as some of the baker's on here. I don't do weddings, I don't use extender recipe's, I don't stack anything, just straight up flat cakes with freehand images on top. DH rises better than PB, BC seems more dense. I was getting ready to chuck it all after so many of my chocolate cakes stuck to the pans..........and the company doesn't care apparently. Although they did send me a coupon for a free cake mix so that I could get another one that sticks. WOOHOO.

DecoratorJen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoratorJen Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 11:38am
post #76 of 93

I use DH all the time and have for 7 years with no problems. I usually use the baking strips around my pan if I am doing just 1 cake and if more than 1 at a time I use the convection. I also use the cilotn Cake Releast that you brush on. My cakes usually come out nearly flat. (My jusband complains that there aren't enough extra's for him anymore since they are so level!). Everyone says my cakes taste great. (Maybe that is because I am a procrastinator they are always so fresh.) Also, If DH is not so good, why would Wilton put thir name on the box?!?

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 6:54pm
post #77 of 93

I wish I knew what the problem was. I haven't one with DH. I have been baking all day. I have my last cake in the oven now. I use Wilton Cake Release, flower nails (1 in an 8", then 2 in anything above 8"), DH Classic Yellow Mix, 1 1/3 cups liquid.. today I used 1/2 Coffeemate vanilla/caramel creamer & 1/2 milk, 4 eggs, 1/3 cup oil. I have no problems. I've used Magic Line pans & Wilton today. No problems. I love DH thumbs_up.gif

amie202 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amie202 Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 8:00pm
post #78 of 93

Wow! It was so nice to read all of your posts and find out I was not alone with the DH problem. I bought a bunch because they were on sale. And I saw the wilton logo on the box and thought - Why not? Well let me tell you it caused trouble - It really didn't rise - it seemed like it was not cooking in the middle but yet I had baked it nice and slow and the rest of it was over cooking. (only 9 inch rounds) Had to redo - Its not a bargin if its not reliable -- That's why we use the mix right?! If I wanted to gamble on the outcome I would use my scatch recipes! hee hee!

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 7:43am
post #79 of 93

I've been using DH for awhile now and I've never had a problem until this weekend. Two Butter Yellow cakes I baked sunk so badly in the middle that I had to start over again. But...I think it was my fault...
I know how long it takes to cook a certain type of mix in a certain type of pan so I just set the timer and walk away. But this time I poked the center to check to see if they were done and both just sank right before my eyes. I've found if you just leave them alone...no sinking...
I don't use enhanced formulas.

stargrazer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stargrazer Posted 11 Jul 2007 , 1:23pm
post #80 of 93

Now I FINALLY know what happened!

I have always loved to bake, never had a problem in my life. Started taking the Wilton decorating classes and for the first time ever had THREE cake failures back to back! icon_cry.gif They were falling, raw in the center, etc. thumbsdown.gif

I was going crazy trying to figure out why, when it counted the most (to me), I couldn't bake a decent cake. I was so sure it was me that I didn't try a different brand but stuck with DH. Over. And over. And OVER.

I finally got them to come out o.k. but NO doctoring, raised the oven temp and have to leave them in for 10-20 minutes longer than expected.

Now I'm using the wilton strips around the pan and they are rising too much but I love the flavor of DH so I'll keep trying. At least now I can just trim them up, much better than RAW cake.
icon_smile.gif

CakeMakerNewbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakerNewbie Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 1:57pm
post #81 of 93

I have a question Granpam, you said that you put a flowernail in the center on any cake you bake, what does this do? I'm curious since I have to make a 12" square cake and I want to make sure it will come out okay. I am however using DH Dark Chocolate cake mix...

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 3:42pm
post #82 of 93

[quote="tcturtleshell"]I wish I knew what the problem was. I haven't one with DH. I have been baking all day. I have my last cake in the oven now. I use Wilton Cake Release, flower nails (1 in an 8", then 2 in anything above 8"), DH Classic Yellow Mix, 1 1/3 cups liquid.. today I used 1/2 Coffeemate vanilla/caramel creamer & 1/2 milk, 4 eggs, 1/3 cup oil. I have no problems. I've used pans & Wilton today. No problems. I love DH thumbs_up.gif[/quote

hi tcturtleshell, i have a problem with my cakes cracking in the middle , they rise ok but then theres this huge crack in the middle of my cake? Whats up?? hope you can help

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 12 Jul 2007 , 8:55pm
post #83 of 93

cakebaker--cracks like you describe are often due to overbeating. Are you using a medium speed for a maximum of 2 minutes after stirring the ingredients together on low-med. for 30 seconds?

cakebaker1957 Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 11:41am
post #84 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by handymama

cakebaker--cracks like you describe are often due to overbeating. Are you using a medium speed for a maximum of 2 minutes after stirring the ingredients together on low-med. for 30 seconds?

Well i have a kicthenaid mixer which im trying to get use to, but i start it out as slow as i can i think its a #2 then i will scrape the sides and turn it up to #4 i try not to over mix maybe i need to set my timer? Thanks for the info

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 12:03pm
post #85 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobzC8kz

Two Butter Yellow cakes I baked sunk so badly in the middle that I had to start over again. .

I made cupcakes over the weekend with the same flavor - same thing happened - they sunk in the middle - All of them!

Suzian3570 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzian3570 Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 12:05pm
post #86 of 93

I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but I live in Bowling Green, Kentucky, home of Duncan Hines (yes...the actual man who began the business--I know the family). Although they are wonderful people, I do not use Duncan Hines mixes. I have not been impressed at all! I only use Pillsbury mixes. Oddly enough, my mother in law works at Pillsbury, but will only use Duncan Hines...go figure that one! She and I had a discussion about this and my reasoning for staying away from DH is basically about the same as what others have posted. She said the only reason she doesn't use Pillsbury is because it doesn't rise up as well as DH. I agree, so I just use more Pillsbury mix in my cakes, which solves the problem. The big surprise has been the number of people who have commented on the taste of my cakes. I was shooting for a "good tasting" cake, that was beautiful. Instead...I was met with..."what a beautiful cake...I can't believe it was so delicious!!! There was NONE left...we ate every bite!" After hearing this time and time again, I decided to leave well enough alone and stick with Pillsbury. Even though I have to buy a little more, it's worth the few extra dollars for those kind of reactions when a customer raves about the taste of my cake. The last wedding cake I made is posted below, along with a note from the bride...

"Hi Suzian,
I did not like the cake I LOVED the cake!!!! All of the people there said it was the best wedding cake that they have ever had.needless to say I didnt have any left over!!!...Again I want to thank you soooooooo very much. The cake was beautifulwe will definitely be calling you when we have a baby shower (that is in the some what far future though)!!!

P.S. I will need more of your business cards!!!"

SEE WHAT I MEAN! PILLSBURY IS DEFINITELY MY CHOICE!!!"
LL

cakebaker1957 Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 12:53pm
post #87 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzian3570

I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but I live in Bowling Green, Kentucky, home of Duncan Hines (yes...the actual man who began the business--I know the family). Although they are wonderful people, I do not use Duncan Hines mixes. I have not been impressed at all! I only use Pillsbury mixes. Oddly enough, my mother in law works at Pillsbury, but will only use Duncan Hines...go figure that one! She and I had a discussion about this and my reasoning for staying away from DH is basically about the same as what others have posted. She said the only reason she doesn't use Pillsbury is because it doesn't rise up as well as DH. I agree, so I just use more Pillsbury mix in my cakes, which solves the problem. The big surprise has been the number of people who have commented on the taste of my cakes. I was shooting for a "good tasting" cake, that was beautiful. Instead...I was met with..."what a beautiful cake...I can't believe it was so delicious!!! There was NONE left...we ate every bite!" After hearing this time and time again, I decided to leave well enough alone and stick with Pillsbury. Even though I have to buy a little more, it's worth the few extra dollars for those kind of reactions when a customer raves about the taste of my cake. The last wedding cake I made is posted below, along with a note from the bride...

"Hi Suzian,
I did not like the cake I LOVED the cake!!!! All of the people there said it was the best wedding cake that they have ever had.needless to say I didnt have any left over!!!...Again I want to thank you soooooooo very much. The cake was beautifulwe will definitely be calling you when we have a baby shower (that is in the some what far future though)!!!

P.S. I will need more of your business cards!!!"

SEE WHAT I MEAN! PILLSBURY IS DEFINITELY MY CHOICE!!!"

Your cake is beautiful how much more batter would you use in a 6,8,10,12 in cakes and the ribbon on the cake is that a real ribbon or fondant beautiful green color

franskitchen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
franskitchen1 Posted 13 Jul 2007 , 6:30pm
post #88 of 93

Well now I know that it is Duncan Hines French Vanilla Mix That i have been using fot three years or more.My cake are breaking on the edges after they are baked and cooled,I cook then at 325, use core on big cakes
and also use wet foil wraps. i dont have time to make scratch cakes all the time any better luck with the super moist pillsbury. Thank you for the info. icon_sad.gificon_cry.gif

CraftyBride Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CraftyBride Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 2:57pm
post #89 of 93

icon_surprised.gif You mean that most of you use cake mixes? icon_surprised.gif

I guess I'm silly because I figured that everyone had a "special" recipe of their own to make their cakes. I didn't realize how popular cake mixes were. I always figured that if you were selling cakes and what not that it had to be made from scratch. icon_redface.gif

So, where can I get this cake doctoring book?

MandyE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyE Posted 25 Jul 2007 , 3:10pm
post #90 of 93

CraftyBride - you can get it anywhere. In the meantime, she has a few recipes on her website too at www.cakemixdoctor.com.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%