What Has Become Of Good Taste?

Lounge By naha Updated 26 Jul 2006 , 4:23pm by Heath

naha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
naha Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 7:20pm
post #1 of 58

Has anyone seen the "catbox" cake that looks like a cat box that hasn't been emptied in a month? I wonder if others are as dismayed as I am by the lack of good taste ... Remember, cakes are dessert... they should look appealing and pleasing to the eye... These are just absolutely disgusting... and I can't believe someone would go out of their way to "create" something so gross! Yikes!

57 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 58

ah, sophomoric (or even moronic) humor....

like monty python
chevy chase
adam sandler
bill murry
belushi
bugs bunny
road runner
tom & jerry
three stooges
the Marx Brothers (poor Margaret Dumont)
and the list goes on and on and on back to time immemorial.

most women/girls -- eEEEEEWWWWWWW

most men/boys --- YEAH MAN -- until we recieve an elbow in the ribs to remind us to:

NOW, Behave!!!****

***my response: no, that's no fun!

naha Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 58

... I wouldn't put most of those you listed in the same catagory... however, very "low brow humor" perhaps??? Not my style... my point was.. cake is supposed to be an appealing dessert... not a disgusting display... thanks for your reply.

Doug Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 58

what is it about boys that we love "gross-out" humor?!?!?

naha Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 8:01pm
post #5 of 58

I think it's just some boys... both my husband and son had the same reaction I did! Oh well. I think there are probably some women out there with the same humor...

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 58

I think its more for the shock value. Like with some naughty cakes YUKKKKK! Not me man.. I'll pass. And since I have cats... eewwwww. won't matter if it's delicious. I'll never know.

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 9:04pm
post #7 of 58

As gross as I may think the "idea" of the cake...I still have enough respect for the creativity of it. Same goes for the naughty cakes or even Halloween gross out cakes.......it was someone elses creativity that thought that up and for that I give them a thumbs_up.gif

bodaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bodaisy Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 9:37pm
post #8 of 58

I think it's gross, but pretty funny!!!

I'm a girl and would I make one??....You betcha!!!! Why? Shock value, funny, it's something different and it's just wicked cool!!! I LOVE "low brow" humor and for the right person it would be perfect!!!

Creativity gets AAAAAA+++++++++

Doug Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 9:42pm
post #9 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaisy

I think it's gross, but pretty funny!!!

I'm a girl and would I make one??....You betcha!!!! Why? Shock value, funny, it's something different and it's just wicked cool!!! I LOVE "low brow" humor and for the right person it would be perfect!!!

Creativity gets AAAAAA+++++++++

didn't you mean

"purrrrr-fect"?

(and now we know why I would take no offense to this kind of cake and can't wait to make my first one --- PUNS, the lowest form of humor, save maybe potty humor)

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 9:45pm
post #10 of 58

Well...............it's all in how you look at it.

Like twins said, the creativitiy........you do have to respect it.

ANd, like bo said, for the right person............it's perfect.

It's just good fun. I'd rather make another poo cake, like in my gallery, than a naughty cake. But, that's just me. I don't particulary care for the naughty gallery, but I've looked there and wow! those people are amazing artists!!

I'm quite amazed at what people (including myself) can do with some cake & icing!

It's just good humor in my opinion.

bodaisy Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 9:49pm
post #11 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdd

It's just good fun. I'd rather make another poo cake, like in my gallery, than a naughty cake. But, that's just me. I don't particulary care for the naughty gallery, but I've looked there and wow! those people are amazing artists!!

I'm quite amazed at what people (including myself) can do with some cake & icing!

LOVE the new avatar!!!!!!!!! IT'S SEXY GIRLFRIEND!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

bodaisy Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 9:52pm
post #12 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Quote:

didn't you mean

"purrrrr-fect"?

that is tooo funny!!!! I can't wait until I get to make one. I think I would laugh hysterically the whole time cause it's wicked gross, but yet totally cool!! I'd invite a few friends over while I'm making it so they can joke and laugh with me.

Let's have a pooh party.. sorry couldn't resist...

Doug Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 10:02pm
post #13 of 58
Quote:

Let's have a pooh party.. sorry couldn't resist...

and it won't be with winnie either.

mmdd Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 11:01pm
post #14 of 58
Quote:

Quote:

LOVE the new avatar!!!!!!!!! IT'S SEXY GIRLFRIEND!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Thanks, girl!!!! I've been meaning to tell you I like yours too. I noticed it last week!

Pooh party? Count me in!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_razz.gif

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 11:15pm
post #15 of 58

I find the kitty box cake kinda funny. The first time I ever saw one, I was at a mom's night out with several of my girlfriends. We were all to bring a dessert. One lady brought a fruit salad, I made a key lime pie, another had a greman chocolate cake and then in walks our friend with a litter box...none of us had ever seen one before and it was hilarious! We had also had a few glasses of wine at that point, so that may have added to the humor of it. thumbs_up.gif

bodaisy Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 11:25pm
post #16 of 58
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks, girl!!!! I've been meaning to tell you I like yours too. I noticed it last week!

Pooh party? Count me in!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_razz.gif

pooh party... can you tell i'm tired and hungry (unfortunately wrong thread for dinner ideas icon_lol.gif ) but i've been working since 7am and it's now 7:24pm so my dinner best be done when I go home and my pillow fluffed.. then maybe i wouldn't act so naughty icon_wink.gif

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 11:35pm
post #17 of 58

I think cakes like that are very creative. I guess it all in how you look at it. icon_smile.gif

4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4kids Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 11:43pm
post #18 of 58

I personally wouldn't want one of those cakes... my sons on the other hand would find it downright hilarious! I guess it's all in the mind of the recipient.

And anyone with that much creativity is pretty cool in my book. I would never be able to look at a litterbox and think... "Hey that would make a great cake." I'm pretty much a basketweave and roses kinda' gal. icon_lol.gif

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 11:46pm
post #19 of 58

I personally think it's disgusting, would never make a cake like that or eat one either.

Doug Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 11:59pm
post #20 of 58

little exercise in seeing things "differently"

can VOMIT ever be beautiful?

and a baby's super stinky poop filled diaper ever be beautiful.

----------

back later w/ my answers when I use this to teach "seeing differently"

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 12:00am
post #21 of 58

well spoken doug

4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4kids Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 12:03am
post #22 of 58

I can tell you, Doug, as the mother of a Preemie.... that first successful BM was very nice to see... no matter how stinky! However, making a replica cake out of it... hmm.... not something I thought of! However, "seeing differently" is always interesting.

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 12:05am
post #23 of 58

Doug, I was expressing my opinion...I don't feel I need a "lesson in seeing differently". Of course everyone has the right to make whatever cake they would like, a question was asked and I submitted my opinion.

mmdd Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 12:21am
post #24 of 58

I have a prediction........hey bo, wanna guess what it is???????????

Doug Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 12:30am
post #25 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsgranny

Doug, I was expressing my opinion...I don't feel I need a "lesson in seeing differently". Of course everyone has the right to make whatever cake they would like, a question was asked and I submitted my opinion.

NO ONE said your opinion was wrong or invalid...it is an opinion (i prefer viewpoint) and everyone is entitled to hers or his, regardless of if anyone agrees with it. And NO ONE said you needed a lesson. it was poised as a thought problem for all to puzzle over.

Sorry you took offense, where NO offense or insult was intended.

-------------

re: vomit -- ask a mom who's child has swallowed poison.

re: poop -- 4 kids: hadn't thought of that one, was instead thinking after several days of bad consipation.

this exercise BTW, came from a Bible Study designed to be used with church youth groups to challenge them not to take their faith, their religion or their expression of it in the world for granted.

9 times of 10 the teens will answer EEEEEWWWWWW!!!!!....then you wait and push and maybe one will get it.

Being so(!) much a part of the arts community for so long (and cake decorating is both ART and craft -- any good artist does the craft of the art to make "art") -- seeing differently is very important. Each artist has a "vision" -- sometimes called "style" -- witness the many ways cakes are made and how we can even peg a cake as by ______ just by looking at it.

i've seen some pretty (to be polite) odd and out there productions of plays. Two professional ones I even walked out on at the end of the first act they were so not my cup of tea (and it wasn't the author's fault -- shakespeare and steinbeck!!) but did I learn something....sure...sometimes it's not what to do, but what not to do. and even in a dreadful production i've found something that I can say ...hmmm have to remember that...could use that some day!!

some have asked, how I do those sketches...it's seeing differently, just like the designers at wilton can look at the clown hat pan and turn it into a Santa as they did in the new yearbook.

seeing differently is simply being open to all the possibilities.

now, will I accept them all? no
use the all? no
i choose based upon what i feel is right for me in this time, in this place according to my beliefs and values.

my beliefs and values are not necessarily anyone elses, tho' there may be similarities such as the golden rule.

such a tempest in a teapot (love that Britishism) has been stirred up over a kitty litter box cake....so much HUFF-HUFFING from BOTH sides.

let's agree that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and "one man's trash is another's treasure" and simply chuckle a bit, roll the eyes, and be on our way to bigger and better (still waiting for calorie free!) cakes

twinsline7 Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 12:43am
post #26 of 58

well....it seems the intention of the original post has been met!! thumbs_up.gif thumbsdown.gif

This is one heck of a "CATTY" thread..... icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif ( I CAN PUN TOO!!!)

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 12:52am
post #27 of 58
Quote:
Quote:

This is one heck of a "CATTY" thread.....

omg..hahahahahah....i'm sorry but that cracked me up!!!

and are we really arguing over cat poop?? icon_confused.gif [/quote]

twinsline7 Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 12:54am
post #28 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ge978

and are we really arguing over cat poop?? icon_confused.gif

[/quote]

not really CAT poop ge....CAKE POOP!!! icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 1:00am
post #29 of 58
Quote:
Quote:

not really CAT poop ge....CAKE POOP!!!

oh in that case...carry on thumbs_up.gif

mmdd Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 1:01am
post #30 of 58

No, we're not arguing..........we're going to have a poo(H) party..........Bo's the host!!! LOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%