Doctored Up Devils Food Mix..need Help

Baking By Tat Updated 26 Jul 2006 , 7:09pm by barbara-ann

Tat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tat Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 7:20pm
post #1 of 9

I need to know how to doctor up a Devils Food cake mix...any suggestions?

Tat

8 replies
Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 9

I added chocolate fudge pudding mix, the Extender, and half a tub of store-bought fudge frosting. Then I mixed a tub of nutella with the rest of the store-bought frosting and used that to fill it. It was a HUGE hit!

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 9

I did a cake mix (devil's food), added a little different version of the cake mix extender from here... I added 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of sour cream, 2 tsp. vanilla flavoring, dash of salt, one box of instant chocolate pudding and 1/2 cup Hershey's chocolate syrup (you could add up to a cup if you'd like) ... it was delicious!! I made an extra cake of this so I could taste it to make sure it was good .. I used one layer and crumbled up for cake balls.. I used the other layer which I baked in a springform pan and made a giant ding dong from it ... it all got eaten and they were all asking for more!!

DeniseRoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseRoy Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 9

I docter up my cakes with a box of instant pudding mix, 4 eggs, 1/2 cup oil, 1/2 cup water and 1 cup sour cream. It is from the cake mix doctor book.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 8:04pm
post #5 of 9

I like the pudding and extra egg added in to the cake mix and what is called for on the box. I also will use buttermilk in place of water for chocolate and red velvet when I have it on hand.

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 2:24am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntertayneme

I added 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of sour cream, 2 tsp. vanilla flavoring, dash of salt, one box of instant chocolate pudding and 1/2 cup Hershey's chocolate syrup (you could add up to a cup if you'd like)

Oh I have to try that. thumbs_up.gif I did the doctored version without the pudding but with milk and not water and it wasn't dry but I still didn't care for it.

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 2:54am
post #7 of 9

Cheryl,

Did you add the 4 eggs, 1 1/3 cups water and 1/2 cup of oil too??

Cindy

Tat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tat Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 7:01pm
post #8 of 9

Wow!!! Thanks everyone...I'm going to try these this weekend.

tat

barbara-ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbara-ann Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 7:09pm
post #9 of 9

I tried the devils food recipe that has buttermilk in there. sounds gross but everyone sees to like it a lot. It's in the cake mix doctor book, sorry but i can't think of the correct name of the recipe right now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%