Question About Liscence In Fl (Home Based) Please Help Me :)

Business By SweetCloudCakes Updated 26 Jun 2007 , 5:10pm by scoobydid

SweetCloudCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCloudCakes Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 2:53am
post #1 of 11

Hello Everyone!

First of all, let me congratulate everyone on this site! We have an amazing group of people, very talented people icon_smile.gif

I need to get some information on how to obtain a home based business liscence in the state of Fl. (general requirements, fees, inspections, pet allowed to be at home? etc). Any feedback is appreciatted icon_smile.gif

Thanks everyone!... Keep baking!
Sweet Cloud Cakes icon_smile.gif
usaribbon.gif

10 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 3:11am
post #2 of 11

From what I have read about other people in florida a home based business is not allowed. However I may be wrong. Here area a couple of great threads to start researching until someone from Florida with more information sees this post and can help more.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-32550-states.html+licence+license

http://www.cakecentral.com/article57-US-Wanting-to-start-a-Cake-Decorating-Business-but-where-do-I-begin.html

Sorry I can't help more.

Btw, Welcome to CC you will find a TON of useful information here.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 11:56am
post #3 of 11

I believe leily is correct, Florida does not allow home-based bakery businesses. They must be separate and commercial-grade. Hopefully someone from FL will step-up soon!

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 1:46pm
post #4 of 11

Google- fl dept ag
or type- doacs.state.fl.us/

select- licensing permits regulations
select- bakers
scroll down to frequently asked quesions #4, cook or prepare food at home.
Also, under question #2 select minimum construction standards

This website is awesome. thumbs_up.gif

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 11

food not flood. icon_confused.gif Duh!

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 2:16pm
post #6 of 11

Welcome to CC! Unfortunately, selling food from your home is not allowed here in Fl. I know there are tons of people here that do it "underground" , however. I'm going to check out the info. CindiM came up with to see if I can make heads or tails of it.
Amy

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 3:00pm
post #7 of 11

I am in florida and if you call the department of agriculture they will send you a package. You can not cook from your home kitchen. You must have a seperate commercial kitchen be it attached or detached from your home. If you have a garage you can turn that into a kitchen but the door that leads to the garage into the house but be closed in. you can not have access to the commercial kitchen from your home. I was also told that you are supposed to have a bathroom in your commercial kitchen but some inspectors will work around that if you are going to be the only person working there.

That being said. before you get your hopes up, call your city and county. My city has an ordinance against that type of business in a residental community. And no I'm not in an association.

So as far as the STATE is concerned baking from home in a seperate Commercial kitchen following their guidelines.......yes

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 3:06pm
post #8 of 11

Just wanted to say welcome to CC! It looks like some Florida people have answered your question about license requirements.

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 11:41pm
post #9 of 11

Welcome Welcome Welcome.

Bettiboop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettiboop Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 12:12am
post #10 of 11

Well darn. Since I am in FL I guess that puts an end to my plans of baking cakes out of my home. Glad I found this out before I got too far into my plans. I know of several people who have been doing it for years...I wonder how they get around this?

Also, I wonder what the chances are of getting this changed in the state of FL and how hard it would be. Wishful thinking???

scoobydid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobydid Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 5:10pm
post #11 of 11

I live in a housing development in St. Johns County, Florida (development classified as a PUD) and have thought about a cake decorating business from home. In the spring of 2007, I inquired at the county offices about the possibility. I was told no business (in SJC) could be out of your home if it involved manufacturing in any way. I had a tough time trying to answer the question about how I was going to create a cake without manufacturing it. "Bake it in my kitchen oven," was the wrong answer. In thinking about it now, it might be possible to do a consult from home but the construction is a no-no.
I'm also thinking Zoning plays a part in all of this and potentially, a Homeowners Association. Seems to me, if you're in a Rural designation, you may be able to build a free-standing facility on your property, to the specs of whatever is needed to satisfy all regulations. $$$ If you're part of a HoA, check those bylaws because they may not allow ANY business out of your home.
I think there may be quirks, county-to-county, in addition to what the state of Florida requires. I think this because a cake supply owner (not baker) in Duval County told me in Duval, you had to have the equivalent of a restaurant set-up to be legal. Now, perhaps 'restaurant set-up' and 'commercial' mean the same thing. I don't know.
Lastly, I had a friend who dabbled in cake decorating when she lived in Duval County. Based on my limited knowledge of this subject, I'm leaning towards the conclusion her business was illegal. I'd venture to say she didn't have general liability insurance either because I would think that in order to obtain a policy, you'd have to show proof of a legal enterprise.
My 'Plan B' to research is renting out commercial kitchen space from somewhere. We have a 'Super Suppers' and an 'Entrees on the Go' (or something sounding like that) in our area and I've wondered if either may be a viable alternative.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%