New Cake Contest Idea

Decorating By EROS Updated 26 Jun 2007 , 4:37pm by MikeRowesHunny

EROS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EROS Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 9

Hello,
i was wondering if i can ask this.

I know it may seem a bit strange or should i say difficult...
But what about a contest with a Disney theme?
I don't know if you've got to get permission from Disney,
don't think you have to..
Maybe i came up with an good idea?

Many greetings from the Netherlands and happy baking to you all,

Eros thumbs_up.gif

8 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 9 Jun 2007 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 9

interesting you should suggest this just now....

I was just over at MousePlanet catching up on all things Disney.

GREAT idea.

and....

so long as the cakes are NOT SOLD nor offered for sale in any way, including design or how-to, and strictly for contest purposes only, making one should fall under the "fair use" concept of american copyright law -- not sure about in other countries.

----

wow -- should get disney involved -- make it an official one -- sort of like the FoodTV cake challenge -- have a live event at Disney (I vote World over Land) -- make it a CC convention and contest all in one!

Squwidgee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Squwidgee Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 9

YES YES YES I think there should be a Disney cake contest. of course, I'm only a kid and new to this, so I wouldn't participate, but that still would be really cool to do. I love Disney!!!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 9

That would be so fun! I love doing character cakes and Disney would be terrific!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 4:04pm
post #5 of 9

Nice idea, but I think it should be extended to encompass all kiddy characters/heros. There are some people who can't stand the Disney globalisation - Nickleodeon, and lots of others have great characters that are also popular with kids, so I don't think we should leave them out! So maybe a more general character cake theme competition?

Squwidgee Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 4:08pm
post #6 of 9

Maybe we can have two contests- Disney and General. Yes, some people can't stand it but Disney characters are better than most junk on television

icon_smile.gif Squwidgee

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 4:20pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

Nice idea, but I think it should be extended to encompass all kiddy characters/heros. There are some people who can't stand the Disney globalisation - Nickleodeon, and lots of others have great characters that are also popular with kids, so I don't think we should leave them out! So maybe a more general character cake theme competition?

no we shouldn't leave them out..

but

in the interest of judging simplicity and sanity....

disney as one round

and then

more rounds for
Nickelodian
Hanna Barbera (Yogi! Huckleberry Hound! Jetsons, etc.)
Movie cartoons (MGM: tom & jerry; Warner Bros.: Bugs Bunny and Friends -- which could be a special category -- characters voiced by Mel Blanc)
-----

one problem for me---
I don't know all the cartoon characters or stories of the world -- only those that HAVE been globalized -- (still haven't made heads nor tales of Anime!)

which is why, at least for now sticking to something globalized, like Disney is easiest.

even there -- would be fun to make it "supporting characters" not the princess (SO done to death!) -- the characters that add so much but so often get overlooked -- example Flora, Fauna, and Meriweather from Sleeping beauty -- esp., their fight over the dress scene -- and malificent's poor raven who ends up pink, blue, and green! --- for that matter -- forgotten Disney Villians (Malificent!) -- or dig way back in the vaults to Disney silly symphonies (all cakes in black white and gray)

----
(and we can save the whole broo-hah-hah about American marketing, cultural imperialism, why I can get a Big Mac nearly anywhere on the globe, but can't get a decent serving of German Bratts, schwartzbort and bier here in NC or any clotted creme for another day!)

Squwidgee Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 2:22pm
post #8 of 9

I agree with Doug. icon_biggrin.gif

icon_smile.gifSquwidgee

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 26 Jun 2007 , 4:37pm
post #9 of 9

Can we at least encompass those shown on the Disney Channels (not necessarily made by Disney, but bought out by them)? There are some characters there I would love to do (Bear for one, I'd like to be adopted by him please lol!).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%