Never Again!!!

Baking By cakemommy Updated 4 Aug 2006 , 8:19pm by kjgjam22

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 8:05pm
post #31 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

I only ever use a 100% butter buttercream (I still can't see how you can call something that doesn't contain butter 'buttercream' icon_confused.gif !). Here's the recipe I use, the important thing is that it is made by weight NOT volume (cups). Very simple - 1 part butter to 2 parts powdered sugar (so, for example 8oz (2 sticks) butter to 16oz powdered sugar). For every stick of butter you use use one tsp of your choice of flavouring and 1 tbsp of milk. Everyone loves this buttercream (flavoured with strawberry or lemon are my favourites!)! Only drawback is that it will melt in high heat, but will be OK under fondant, and cakes will need to be kept in the fridge until needed (but I do this with all my cakes anyway!).

Sounds great, bonjovibabe, but therein lies the problem -- the melting! I'm going to try your recipe though because it sounds delish. Do you use lemon flavoring -- like vanilla?

Sarah

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 7:50pm
post #32 of 36

For the lemon buttercream, I actually swap the milk for lemon juice and use lemon extract in place of the vanilla - hope that helps!

bakerchick1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerchick1977 Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 8:22pm
post #33 of 36

I use an all Crisco BC, and it seems to be good, it is very thick but it has to be mixed just right. I have only used a hand mixer for it and I would set up a timer for 10 whole minutes. I do have a kitchen aid but I lost the whisk to it in a move ( grr ) so I am not sure how it will be in the KA, until I get a replacement. This is a very fluffy and thick recipe. I have only tried a 1/2 & 1/2 once and it didnt seem as rich in flavor but it was easier to spread. I will give the recipe from this site that you suggested a shot, I am always open to trying new stuff and new techniques. I thought the drops of violet color were an interesting aspect. Something to consider.

Vanaya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanaya Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 8:33pm
post #34 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerchick1977

I use an all Crisco BC, and it seems to be good, it is very thick but it has to be mixed just right. I have only used a hand mixer for it and I would set up a timer for 10 whole minutes. I do have a kitchen aid but I lost the whisk to it in a move ( grr ) so I am not sure how it will be in the KA, until I get a replacement. This is a very fluffy and thick recipe. I have only tried a 1/2 & 1/2 once and it didnt seem as rich in flavor but it was easier to spread. I will give the recipe from this site that you suggested a shot, I am always open to trying new stuff and new techniques. I thought the drops of violet color were an interesting aspect. Something to consider.

Try using the paddle attachment in your KA to make BC - it works GREAT. You just have to scrape the sides of the bowl every once in a while.

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 25 Jul 2006 , 8:50pm
post #35 of 36

i use margarine or butter either one, usually margarine, due to cost, but mine is 2 sticks butter/margarine to 2 pounds of sugar and a dash of water or milk and flavoring. I add flavoring and water/milk until it is the taste/look I am going for.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 8:19pm
post #36 of 36

butter is always better. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%