Never Again!!!

Baking By cakemommy Updated 4 Aug 2006 , 8:19pm by kjgjam22

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 36

Okay okay, I'm a converter!!!!!

I will NEVER NEVER use an all shortening recipe again for my icing!!!!! I just tasted leftovers of both, with and without butter and there is no contest!!!!!!!!! How could I have ever EVER made my icing without butter!

UGHHHH!!!!!!!!

Amy thumbs_up.gif

35 replies
greenhorn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greenhorn Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 10:48pm
post #2 of 36

I like the taste with butter much better also, but I'll use all crisco if it has to sit in the heat.

donnajf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnajf Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 10:49pm
post #3 of 36

Welcome aboard! good for you! I'm with you - in my humble opinion-the stuff is revolting! YUCK thumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gif
That is why I only use IMBC!

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 36

how did your wedding cake go for your brother in law?

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemommy

Okay okay, I'm a converter!!!!!

I will NEVER NEVER use an all shortening recipe again for my icing!!!!! I just tasted leftovers of both, with and without butter and there is no contest!!!!!!!!! How could I have ever EVER made my icing without butter!

UGHHHH!!!!!!!!

Amy thumbs_up.gif

Oh, I am soooo with you on this one! thumbs_up.gif I've never been able to agree that the butter flavoring people say to use with all crisco tastes the same as using real butter. I also think the icing has a creamier consistency or something like that.

As for the heat, I've never had a problem with the 1/2 and 1/2 recipe melting on me, but then, in CA, we don't have the same kind of heat as other areas of the country.

Sarah

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 11:00pm
post #6 of 36

Me too......yucky crisco!! It may be nice to work with, but there's no point in eating pure hydrogenated fat.

redsoxgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redsoxgirl Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 11:09pm
post #7 of 36

do y'all use the viva method with the 1/2 and 1/2?

i just used viva for the first time but chose to use an all crisco recipe (first time for that also) and it smoothed out Much nicer than the 1/2 and 1/2. i didn't find the taste terrible although i did Not use it in the filling. my recipe uses butter, almond and creme broquet flavors.

also, does IMBC crust?

buttercream is just a mystery to me icon_rolleyes.gif

cakemommy Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 11:16pm
post #8 of 36

I used the Viva on my TRUE buttercream and no problems.

freddyfl~ the wedding cake turned out great! It's in my pics! Apparently, according to my BIL, my cake was the most "grandeouse" thing (is that a word?) icon_confused.gif at the wedding. It "outshined" the rest of the wedding. I thought the reception site was decorated very nicely but I wasn't there for the ceremony so that could all be true since the bride and groom wore cowboy boots with their dress/tux! icon_confused.gificon_cool.gif Thank you for asking!!!

Amy

Annalisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annalisa Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 11:22pm
post #9 of 36

Hi guys

I have been reading this post and have a question is your butter yellow or white.

Here in Australia our butter is yellow and if I do icing with butter it is never white. Just interested.

Thanks

Anna

cakemommy Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 11:46pm
post #10 of 36

Ours is yellow! A very pale yellow and our (or at least mine) icing has a slight slight yellow hue to it but not enough IMO to make much of a difference! I would love to know, however; how to get my butter icing whiter!!!

Amy

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 11:52pm
post #11 of 36

here we get white margarine so I use that for my icing. I get real white icing. I never use crisco. but if it wasn't for my white margarine I'd probably use the butter recipe.

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 11:53pm
post #12 of 36

your cake was beautiful cakemommy! As far as whiter butter icing I think you can buy butter that doesn't have any dyes in it, but I am sure it is more expensive.

Annalisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annalisa Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 11:53pm
post #13 of 36

Thanks for your reply Amy I was really interested.

PS I love your cakes, your shell borders and fantastic, I just can't get mine to look right.

cakemommy Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 12:01am
post #14 of 36

Thank you!!!!! I still need practice. Everynow and then I get a shell smaller than the others. That happens when I have to stop and then start again!

White margarine! HMMMMM!!!!! Do we have that here anyone?

Amy

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 12:03am
post #15 of 36

As I understand, that white icing color works if your icing has a yellow undertone. I've never tried it, but several people have told me this.

tobycat Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 2:47am
post #16 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalisa

Thanks for your reply Amy I was really interested.

PS I love your cakes, your shell borders and fantastic, I just can't get mine to look right.

There's a trick we use here for the slight yellow tinge to the icing that butter gives. I add a couple of drops of violet coloring, and it neutralizes the yellow to make the appearance of white, white icing.

The interesting thing is that after I've added the violet, the icing looks the slightest bit gray in the KA, but when I put it on the cake, it looks white, white. I did a test by crumb coating a cake with my 1/2 and 1/2 icing. Then, I added the violet and iced over the crumb coating. It was amazing how much whiter it was!

Sarah

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 2:59am
post #17 of 36
Quote:

Thank you!!!!! I still need practice. Everynow and then I get a shell smaller than the others. That happens when I have to stop and then start again!

White margarine! HMMMMM!!!!! Do we have that here anyone?

Amy

That's my problem too, I need more consistency when I'm piping, mine tend to start out one size and gradually get bigger and bigger. LOL. My course 1 instructor gave me a great tip last week about counting as I pipe. She said if you're piping a shell, count out and then stop and at that point you'll have a guide to keep the other shells the same size. Make sense??

I wanted to comment on the buttercream versus all shortening. OMG, I could not believe the yucky taste. I have only ever used the 1/2 and 1/2 and the flavor just does not compare with the real thing. The butter flavoring does nothing to enhance it. To me it's like eating plastic. JUST MY OPINION. If it works for you, then that's great! thumbs_up.gif I don't even like the flavor of BC without milk. It really lacked flavor without it. I will thin it down with water, but not make the base recipe without milk.

icon_smile.gif

tobycat Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 3:29am
post #18 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkisInOkinawa

I don't even like the flavor of BC without milk. It really lacked flavor without it. I will thin it down with water, but not make the base recipe without milk.

icon_smile.gif

I know what you mean! I used water once instead of milk because I couldn't refrigerate the cake, and the icing ended up being really dry and yucky. It also didn't taste nearly as good, imho.

Sarah

cakemommy Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 4:09am
post #19 of 36

I have to charge more for my cakes now that I'm using an all butter buttercream but hey, it's a better taste!!!!!!

Now I just need to try the IMBC!!!!!!! I really can't wait to try that one.

BTW, the counting for the shells sounds like a great idea. I move pretty fast so I don't know if the counting will slow me down but maybe that's what I need!

Amy icon_smile.gif

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 7:37am
post #20 of 36

I love IMBC. You can lighten it by adding the wilton white coloring, but it's still off-white. If someone wants white-white, I have bright white Choco-pan fondant. It's tasty, and they don't give up the IMBC because it is there underneath a thin layer of fondant.

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 3:33pm
post #21 of 36

I agree about the all-Crisco but I did try one recipe that was nice and fluffy. I still prefer cooked BC varieties and usually use Wilton for roses.

Cakemommy, may I ask what recipe do you normally use?

cakemommy Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 4:04pm
post #22 of 36

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2075-14-Crusting-Buttercream-Icing-VIVA-Method.html

This is the first recipe I used with butter in it! It is really delicious!!!! It's smooth and easy to work with.

It's been in the 80's to high 90's here the last two weeks so I used this one because there is still shortening in it but it doesn't have the same yucky coating in your mouth that 100% Crisco leaves!!!

Amy

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 4:10pm
post #23 of 36

I just tried the buttercream Dream and LOVED it!!!!

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 4:41pm
post #24 of 36
Quote:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2075-14-Crusting-Buttercream-Icing-VIVA-Method.html

This is the first recipe I used with butter in it! It is really delicious!!!! It's smooth and easy to work with.

It's been in the 80's to high 90's here the last two weeks so I used this one because there is still shortening in it but it doesn't have the same yucky coating in your mouth that 100% Crisco leaves!!!

Amy

I don't have it in front of me but isn't this similar to Wilton's? More butter and flavoring in this one?

Thank you, by the way! thumbs_up.gif

cakemommy Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 5:05pm
post #25 of 36

I'm not sure! I'll have to look it up! If it is, I might just have to use something else! icon_lol.gif

I haven't found a 100% butter icing yet! Honestly, I haven't been looking that hard either! I'd love to find one!!!!! I'm all for new things!

Amy icon_cool.gif

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 6:17pm
post #26 of 36

Why not try using hi-ratio shortening instead of Crisco? There is a big difference in how it tastes. Doesn't have all of the greasy taste like using Crisco will have. I tried and first hi-ratio buttercream a couple weeks ago and everybody said how good it was; some people even said it tasted like wedding cake frosting.

chele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chele Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 6:30pm
post #27 of 36

I had heard that the longer you whip the icing the whiter it gets. Not sure if that helps with the yellow butter from Australia...

partsgirl25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
partsgirl25 Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 6:46pm
post #28 of 36

does imbc crust? i've been wanting to try it, but i really prefer a crusting bc

cakesoncall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesoncall Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 6:47pm
post #29 of 36

I have to second (or third) the comment about using Wilton's bright white coloring in the half and half BC. I won't make anything but the half and half (can't stand the thought of using all shortening--it just has a plastic mouth-feel).

The only time I really need to whiten my BC, though, is if a bride gives me a chintzy plastic topper that is white--that's the only time that it seems really noticeable that the BC is slightly off-white. If you use enough of the coloring, you can get the icing perfectly white; just remember to adjust your liquid a little because the coloring is a liquid not a paste/gel.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 7:54pm
post #30 of 36

I only ever use a 100% butter buttercream (I still can't see how you can call something that doesn't contain butter 'buttercream' icon_confused.gif !). Here's the recipe I use, the important thing is that it is made by weight NOT volume (cups). Very simple - 1 part butter to 2 parts powdered sugar (so, for example 8oz (2 sticks) butter to 16oz powdered sugar). For every stick of butter you use use one tsp of your choice of flavouring and 1 tbsp of milk. Everyone loves this buttercream (flavoured with strawberry or lemon are my favourites!)! Only drawback is that it will melt in high heat, but will be OK under fondant, and cakes will need to be kept in the fridge until needed (but I do this with all my cakes anyway!).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%