First Wedding Cake In 3-4 Yrs

Decorating By Helendelk Updated 23 Jul 2006 , 2:36pm by goal4me

Helendelk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Helendelk Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 5

Ok I need some advice.... I havent made a wedding cake in 3-4 yrs and roses its been about 5 I think...... The weather is so hot they started melting and I tried smoothing icing best I could... Does it look ok to take or should I re-do another one... I don't have it together yet but they are sitting side by side. Will be adding pillars to put top cake on.... So keep or re-do?
LL

4 replies
dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 2:00pm
post #2 of 5

A couple of questions-what kind of icing are you using? Do you have a filling in the layers? When is the wedding?

Helendelk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Helendelk Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 5

Oh sorry I put that in the post its butter pecan icing with cream cheese filling and crusting cream cheese icing... the wedding is later tonight I have cakes baked up but everyone here says I shouldnt redo them.... so Im asking the experts..lol

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 2:22pm
post #4 of 5

I love the cream cheese icing but it can be a devil to work with sometimes. Cake sounds yummy! I think you may be able to work with the cakes rather than re-do the whole thing. If you have some viva paper towels or even parchment paper, try working with the top and bottom tier, those two need just a little help. Use a smaller piece of paper to try to smooth the areas since you have your roses on. For the top tier I would remove the topper and try to smooth upward since the topper with help conceal. Smooth very, very gently so you don't leave any dents in the icing. And work slowly since you have time. Don't feel rushed! Hope this helps! icon_smile.gif

And your roses look pretty good for not having done them in 5 years! thumbs_up.gif

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 5

After smoothing as advised and taking off the topper place the cakes in the fridge until you need to travel with the cake. Place the topper on at the reception when you're at the cake table.

I see you have roses on the top of the 2nd tier. Is that hide the dowels to hold the cakes for transport, since the top cake will be covering these it would seem.

With the igredients you have I would certainly have dowels in the double tier and place the top tier at the recption.

The roses look good. If they have melted more or you're concerned then make some new ones since you have the time....

Smoothing the icing as previously advised would be good.

This is hot weather!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%