I'm New Here And To Cake Decorating...

Decorating By carrotfairy Updated 26 Jul 2006 , 12:24pm by awolf24

carrotfairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrotfairy Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 12:34am
post #1 of 15

well..hi everbody. you all weren't kidding when you said this website is addicting. i have been reading and reading and drooling and sitting here with my mouth hanging open for about 4 days now.

i cannot BELIEVE how talented you all are. i'm halfway through my very first decorating class at the vo-tech school near my town and i have to say that i am having SO much fun. i'm 33 and i've always wanted to learn to decorate cakes. i'm just sorry i started so late because i think i am doing rather well and coming from me that's certainly something because i am my own worst critic. anyway....i just wanted to say that i am just thoroughly enjoying looking at all of your photos and reading your stories. i'm getting ready to do my first fbct in a little while and i'm a nervous wreck. it's just for my sweet girls but, oh my lord, i cannot imagine making a cake to sell. i hope to someday (maybe in a few months after lots of practice ).

anyway....just thought i would say hi icon_smile.gif

14 replies
Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 12:39am
post #2 of 15

Welcome to CC! I bet you will do a great job! Can't wait to see some of your work. Don't forget to post your class pictures!

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 12:40am
post #3 of 15

Hi and Welcome! I am new as well and have found the people here to be VERY friendly and supportive. Not to mention the things that I have learned in the very short time I have been on here! I did my first FBCT last week and found it to be very easy. You will do great! icon_smile.gif Make sure to post pictures when you have it done!!

MissT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissT Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 12:46am
post #4 of 15

Hey carrotfairy and karenm0712, WELCOME to the happiest, best and most addicting cake place on earth. You will love it here!!! Can't wait to see some pics. thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

greenhorn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greenhorn Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 12:46am
post #5 of 15

Welcome to CC! There are many of us "hobby only" decorators on this site and find it as addicting as those who do this professionally and have a reason to be addicted! I have only been decorating for a few months and the wealth of info I have learned here is amazing. I now have a notebook next to the computer so that when I come across a posting that has a great idea or a fantastic picture, I can print the whole thread. DH thinks I have a problem, but I'm sure I could stop if I wanted!

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 1:04am
post #6 of 15

Welcome to you both and glad to have you here at CC! icon_smile.gif

MissT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissT Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 1:35am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn

Welcome to CC! There are many of us "hobby only" decorators on this site and find it as addicting as those who do this professionally and have a reason to be addicted! I have only been decorating for a few months and the wealth of info I have learned here is amazing. I now have a notebook next to the computer so that when I come across a posting that has a great idea or a fantastic picture, I can print the whole thread. DH thinks I have a problem, but I'm sure I could stop if I wanted!

Bet you can't!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 1:41am
post #8 of 15

Hello. I just wanted to say welcome to cake central. You are going to LOVE it here. thumbs_up.gif

sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 3:12pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissT

Hey carrotfairy and karenm0712, WELCOME to the happiest, best and most addicting cake place on earth. You will love it here!!! Can't wait to see some pics. thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

WELCOME!!!!

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 3:23pm
post #10 of 15

Hey carrotfairy,
It's true! This is the best website there is in my opinion. I too am sorta new to all this cake decorating stuff, and because of this website my husband thinks I am way more clever than I really am! From taking a cake to a pool party in a cooler to keep it from melting in the 100+ Texas heat, to using plastic drinking straws as dowels, to my first fondant bow out of MMF - all of those inspirations/ideas came from all of you! He is so impressed, then I have to tell him, "I got the idea from cake central!" All of the cakes posted are fabulous. I could spend (and have spent) hours looking at many, many of them.
Everyone here is great! I am thankful many times over for the help, inspiration and support I receive. Enjoy and welcome!

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 3:59pm
post #11 of 15

Welcome! You will love it here! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 11:31am
post #12 of 15

Welcome not only to this site but to the hectic crazy wonderful world of cake decorating! I've been doing this 20+ years and I look at some of the pictures posted on this site and think "Wow! Wish I could do that!" I luv the stories that are shared by other decorators..... lots of times it's nice to laugh along with others who have experienced the same stuff you have! I haven't been here very long myself, but it's more addicting than eBay!

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 11:57am
post #13 of 15

Welcome to CC!!!!!

atkin600 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atkin600 Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 12:10pm
post #14 of 15

That's a great transfer you did, especially since you are still in your first class! I still have not attempted a FBCT. I started out doing cakes just for fun after taking just a beginner course, and before I knew it more people were calling than I could handle. So, I quit for a while, and now I am getting the bug again. One word of advice if you do start doing cakes for people....DON'T UNDERCHARGE!!!!! You get burned out and you find it harder and harder to increase your prices to where they should have been in the first place.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 12:24pm
post #15 of 15

Everyone is right - this site is so extremely helpful, friendly and ADDICTIVE! I find myself on it when I should be doing tons of other things like working (like right now), cleaning, sleeping, etc. But I love having CC as such a great resource. I am in awe of people's decorating skills and I get all these ideas running through my head about things I want to try for future cakes. Thanks everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%