Cake Too Soft Too Sculpt...help

Decorating By korkyo Updated 11 Jun 2007 , 11:08pm by HeatherABC

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 10

I work retial adn the cake I am used to using is a dense and easy to carve cake. Not the best tasting tapedshut.gif but really good for carving. When I bake at home the cake is WAY too soft to ice without getting tons of crumbs or falling apart. I like box mixes. Is there a way to alter it to make it firmer. I treid the extra egg idea, it was not enough. icon_cry.gif

Thanks for the help. icon_biggrin.gif
Korkyo

9 replies
cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 11:50pm
post #2 of 10

Try using the WASC cake everyone talks about http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2322-0-White-Almond-Sour-Cream-Cake.html

I have used it and it carves better than regular box mix. Also decrease the liquid in a regular mix so that the batter is denser that helps also[/url]

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 12:37am
post #3 of 10

Another tip - freeze the cake before you try to sculpt - it makes it firmer and much easier to work with!

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 1:30am
post #4 of 10

Thanks, I'll try the different mix. Does the same idea work for other flavors of cake mix with the same results?

cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 2:12am
post #5 of 10

Put your cake in the freezer, it will make sculpting much easier!

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 2:21am
post #6 of 10

....try the extender recipe.....I LOVE it....use it every single time.....makes it a little more dense....IMO.....
Good luck!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 5:02pm
post #7 of 10

try a boxed mix mixed with a pound cake or pound cake mix alone, that's what I used for my dog cake and I had no issues with crumbling at all. It's doweled but no rounds between the layers.

HeatherABC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherABC Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 2:12pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayakado

try a boxed mix mixed with a pound cake or pound cake mix alone, that's what I used for my dog cake and I had no issues with crumbling at all. It's doweled but no rounds between the layers.

When you add the pound cake mix to your other mix, do you add the same amounts of wet ingredients that both boxes call for?

I think I may try this, I need to make a more firm cake in a few weeks and this sounds like a good idea.

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 1:52pm
post #9 of 10

yes, same amount of wet ingredients called for on both boxes.

HeatherABC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherABC Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 11:08pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayakado

yes, same amount of wet ingredients called for on both boxes.

Great, thanks.... I will have to try this!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%