Yikes - High School Musical

Decorating By Steady2Hands Updated 15 Aug 2007 , 9:24pm by LauraS

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 3:24am
post #1 of 30

I have made a few cakes for this family and I sure don't want to disappoint them on this one but am I ever stumped!

This young girl (elementary age) has her heart set on these ideas:

High School Musical theme
3 tiered cake (she specifically said, "like a wedding cake")
Red & yellow icon_eek.gif
Happy Birthday Princess __________

The part that stumps me is the red & yellow. I just can't imagine that.

I've checked the gallery but haven't found a similar cake. I even checked the "red" cakes gallery. I'm on my way to check the "yellow" cakes.

Any ideas?? icon_rolleyes.gif

29 replies
fromkimskitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fromkimskitchen Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 3:31am
post #2 of 30

high school musical...as in the disney movie my boss's girls will watch at least once a day???

sorry i'm not any help. i was just wondering

good luck.

dominique26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dominique26 Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 3:42am
post #3 of 30

I too have an order for a HS Musical themed Cake for the 14th of this month. The client left the design and cake totally up to me, and I still have no clue what I'm going to end up doing. I hope you don't mind, I'm going to keep an eye on this post and see what fellow CCers might come up with.

Steady2Hands Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 3:43am
post #4 of 30

Yep, that's the one. I was surfing the internet for ideas any my 6 y/o DD was telling me the names of all the people. We don't even have cable or regular satelite icon_eek.gif .

Well ~ I found one that's caught my eye (done by "mamacc"):
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=87277

I don't know how she would feel about a topsy turvy cake but I'm gonna ask anyway. Please keep ideas coming. Thanks!

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:02am
post #5 of 30

This is SO ironic! I just got a request for one of these cakes today too! For a 6 year old girl. I was thinking about doing a sheet cake with the "admit one" ticket they have on the website. Since I don't really have much time to work on this one.... But, I like the ideas you guys have for the t.turvy ones! I have a feeling we will be seeing lots of these ideas popping up!
Sweetcakes23

alibugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alibugs Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:02am
post #6 of 30

I would get the pictures on an edible image and put basketballs around the cake. Make a huge fondant plaque with High School Musical.

Steady2Hands Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:34am
post #7 of 30

When I did a search for "High School Musical" I noticed there were others with this same request. I started to just hang loose and watch to see what everyone posted to them and then I thought about her wanting a wedding style cake and the word "princess" on it. After I thought about it I decided to start my own thread. It will be interesting to see what we all end up with icon_biggrin.gif .

I don't know which is worse: a customer who says to do whatever, or a customer who has specific requests. I've been on both ends and they both have their pros and cons. I love having freedom to create something but then sometimes it takes forever to come up with ideas.

Thanks to CC for all the great help we have here thumbs_up.gif

dominique26 Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:54am
post #8 of 30

Here is a link that was just posted on another HS Musical forum that has quite a few pics:

http://www.cakecentral.com/mod.....ol+musical

momof5kiki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof5kiki Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 10:52am
post #9 of 30

From someone that has 4 kids that love high school musical (there is a second one coming out in august so kids are getting pumped again about it) I would NOT do the red cake with the musical note on it. My kids would not like that. If you do a search for Hihg school musical birthday, they sell high school musical birthday party supplies. I would look to that for inspiration. Or do a search for high school musical clothes, they have alot of idea's there if for a girl.

The tosey turvery cake my girls love that idea, but the other cake just was not very pre teen friendly.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 11:11am
post #10 of 30

He's a basketball star, she's a wizkid. The colors for the movie are basically red (but more like burgundy) and yellow or gold. I would make the cake white and use those colors for accents...or make it the gold and only use white and red for accents.

You can pipe basketball nets on one tier and write "get your head in the game" which is one of the songs my 4 yr old sings OVER AND OVER AND OVER. Then, on the second tier maybe pipe math equations, chemistry beakers, or other scholastic things. THEN, put a microphone on the top tier and write your birthday girl's princess wishes. Seems weird to tie in princess with that movie, but every little girl wants to be a princess I guess.

She is 6 and will be happy with anything that remotely resembles her wishes!! Have fun!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 11:12am
post #11 of 30

Check out the cover of the DVD! It is very cute!

When I think of that Disney movie I think of broadway lights plus a school theme. I would do a yellow top fading into red with little music notes, basketballs, cheerleader, and other school stuff accents of fondant! Make your borders little balls of yellow, almost white looking lights and then cut a fondant number (age of child) and stick some wire in it on the top of the cake!
That is what comes to mind for me if I were to make a cake. If you can! Watch a little bit of the movie and you will get inspired!

christielee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christielee Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 12:44pm
post #12 of 30

I agree with mgdqueen! I was thinking a yellow tier with all the basketballs, jerseys, the wildcat mascot, baskets,pompoms, the winning scoreboard .... stuff like that! Then you could do the red tier with science and math stuff, like beakers and books and science projects, etc, then on the top you could have a microphone, music notes,..possibly a tiera(am kinda confused on that, too). I think it would be a very cute cake! Can't wait to see the final pic!

Christie

liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 1:00pm
post #13 of 30

The best thing you can do is watch the movie! It is a HUGE thing amoung the young girls. My 4 yr old knows the whole thing by heart, and had to have a pair of flip flops that were high school musical.

What mgdqueen said sound perfect. You definately need BASKETBALL stuff and a MICROPHONE on it. maybe some lockers on one tier to look like the hall way at the school. the saying "Go Wildcats", "Get your head n the game" would be a must also. I personally don't think the math stuff would be very essential to the cake though.

Definately want to see the picture added to this thread when you are done.

Steady2Hands Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 6:34pm
post #14 of 30

My gosh you all are so great! I am thrilled with so many responses and ideas. I think the "princess" thing is throwing me off. I copied a load of cake pics to my Microsoft Publisher program. I can kindof see it working out. I think my niece has the movie. I'm going to do as you all suggest and watch it (even if I have to rent it). thumbs_up.gif

Steady2Hands Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 1:03am
post #15 of 30

The cake is in progress. I'm waiting on the tiara to dry. I broke the first one in half icon_cry.gif .

Her Mom said no basketballs but yes to things like musical notes and stars. The tiara is to help tie in the "princess" theme.

The curtain is pathetic! The picture actually makes it look worse but it's still not great. The cake is iced in buttercream, the curtain is buttercream, and all other decorations are royal icing. I piped dots on the letters to represent the lightbulbs like the ones on the High School Musical Sign. The tiara in the pic is the broken one (just to give you an idea of what it looks like).

Any suggestions to help with the curtain? Or anything else?
LL

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 12:30pm
post #16 of 30

You've done a nice job tying in the theme and the princess thing. I think Princess Abigail will love it! It cannot be easy trying to make a curtain out of buttercream-you did a great job!

dominique26 Posted 16 Jun 2007 , 5:32pm
post #17 of 30

I'm sure she'll love it! I think you did a really great job tying everything in to the theme. thumbs_up.gif

Steady2Hands Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 1:16pm
post #18 of 30

Here's the final cake:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=665893

I was on "pins and needles" with this second tiara. I was going to send it separately with the cake but after breaking the first one I decided to secure it on the cake with buttercream.

This was my first time painting Luster Dust on Royal Icing. It was so much fun that I'm ready for the next project. thumbs_up.gif

I don't know why the curtain looks runny in the pic. I should have done it in fondant. (lesson learned)

The Mom's reaction on this was totally worth it. She made my day thumbs_up.gif

MahalKita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MahalKita Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 6:10pm
post #19 of 30

Great cake! My twins are having a HSM party next month & I am still up in the air on what to do.

meharding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meharding Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 7:55pm
post #20 of 30

Here is a link to the Disney website for HSM. It has some party ideas etc.

http://tv.disney.go.com/disneychannel/originalmovies/highschoolmusical/index.html

I haven't seen the movie but my 6 year old granddaughter is all over this movie. Just from what I have seen on the website I would make a 3 tier cake as she requested making a set of curtains all the way down the front. In the "v" made by the curtains you could do a High School Muscial sign using LED lights. You could get LED lights from an electronics store and run the wires under the cake before you set it on the board and hook it up to one of those big square batteries. Not sure how many volts it is. On top you could put the basketball, pom poms, etc others have suggested. LED lights spelling out HSM could be mounted into a piece of foam core board and covered with black fondant. Would look sort of light a "Brite Lite" set. I would cut out the "stage" part with the curtains around it so it is recessed just like a real stage. Could be lots of fun!!!!

Ack!!! My Junior Member status is showing. I really need to start paying better attention to the dates on the posts. You have already made your cake. It is beautiful and fit for a princess! I have not been brave enough to attempt making a tiara...yours it just perfect! Sorry about responding to something that has already passed. Maybe someone else can use the idea though.

Steady2Hands Posted 19 Jul 2007 , 2:47pm
post #21 of 30

Thanks you all!

meharding ~ that is too funny icon_lol.gif . But don't feel bad, I've done that before too. I appreciate all the thought you put into it. It would make a great cake. You're right though, it's more information for anyone else attempting a HSM cake. thumbs_up.gif

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 6:02pm
post #22 of 30

I got a call today for the same theme.... the party for the 6 y/o is the same day that the movie releases and i KNOW nothing about this show... so I guess I am going to have to study up on it

shann106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shann106 Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 12:28am
post #23 of 30

My daughter is having a high school musical debut party on the 17th and I am still tryiing to decide what to do

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 12:51am
post #25 of 30

I have a high school musical b-day cake for tomorrow. I found some good ideas here, that I picked and chose some items from. I will post the pics tomorrow as soon as I get home from work. it's only a small 7 inch cake, but feel free to ask away for any advice.
What I know from the off:
The school colors are red and white
the team mascot is a jaguar (?) I think, I used little paw marks
What I did was cute out the words high school musical in yellow fondant, piped little RI white "light bulbs"
The I made a yellow markee that said Happy birthday olivia and piped RI white light blubs all around that and then attached some black music notes. Then I made a bunch of paw prints to go around the side of the cake the high school musical words will be adhered to the front side of the cake with the markee on top. I also made 5 sugar cookies shaped like stars (the b-day girl is five) and frosted them yellow and put gold dragees on each point. Then i made one of those black boards directors use when making movies...I have no idea what they are called and wrote in RI "Take 5"
Like I said i will post pics tomorrow but I hope I have inspired some ideas.
icon_smile.gif

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 4:24pm
post #26 of 30

ok as promised here is my High school musical cake, if anyone still needs some ideas.
LL

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 9 Aug 2007 , 9:01pm
post #27 of 30

I love this cake, you did a wonderful job on it! I hope to do something similar in the coming weeks icon_smile.gif

Steady2Hands Posted 12 Aug 2007 , 9:19pm
post #28 of 30

Somehow I missed my email on these posts. icon_redface.gif

You all did a great job on those cakes. My 6 y/o DD has gotten into High School Musical now. I have a feeling I'll be doing a cake for her too icon_biggrin.gif

DeliciousCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousCreations Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 8:57pm
post #29 of 30

Hey, meharding
Thanks!! I have one coming up and all ur info helped a bunch!!!

Thnks again!!

LauraS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraS Posted 15 Aug 2007 , 9:24pm
post #30 of 30

I love all the ideas and the cakes are wonderful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%