Help!! My Great Great Grandma Is 102!!

Decorating By jacobsmommy Updated 7 Jun 2007 , 6:26am by Paintedlady201

jacobsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jacobsmommy Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 1:16am
post #1 of 10

Ok so i havent made to many cakes. Well saturday is my grandma 102 birthday party and i was nominated to make the cake! AH!!!!!!!!!! I have not idea what to put on the cake. Any one have any pics that would be good!! (i work better with pictures)

9 replies
mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 3:08am
post #2 of 10

Does she like doing something? She must be doing something right to have lived so long! Does she have a favorite flower? I have two ideas...

If you have access to a edible image printer, maybe you can do a collage of pictures of her. Scrapbook style?

Then the second idea I had was if she likes cross-stiching then you can do something cool like a cross-stitch pattern, and write happy birthday like that. Then you can add some of her favorite flowers around it.

Let me see if I can find some pics for you...

bharbor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bharbor Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 3:26am
post #3 of 10

my mom is going to be 90 this year and we are going to get all of the great grandkids to draw pictures and put them on edible images on the cake.

kbochick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbochick Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:41am
post #4 of 10

I just did my Great Grandma's 94th last weekend. I just got out the fondant and the pasta maker and let everybody go to work making decorations. My mom, brother, SIL, nephew and daughter all made things, and then I put them all together in some semblance of order. It wasn't beautiful, but she loved knowing that everybody did something, and having the little ones point out their contributions. It was originally meant to be a quilled cake, but the little ones didn't feel like doing that, so it just ended up as a hodge-podge.

If you do go that route, you may want to limit the size of the decorations, or you'll end up with a huge face, like on mine.
LL

anatmb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anatmb Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:56am
post #5 of 10

Hi,

You can do a family tree cake!! I made one for my grandmother's 85, it was a great success!
You can find a picture of my cake at this link:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=273533

Generally the instructions are:
Bake and ice a 11*15 cake.
Using tip 1M and chocolate bc pull a few lines to make the tree trunk.
Using tip 21 or 18 make branches.
Make flesh color royal icing or color flow puddles.
Using a brush and some black food coloring, draw on the puddles facial features. You can also do this using a food coloring marker. Pipe hair strands or stars (for curles) from royal or buttercream.
Place the "family members" on the cake, and add green leaves in all the spaces using your favorite leaf tip.

In my cake all the faces are wearing masks / hats because the party was on Purim - a jewish holiday similar to mardi gras... you can add whatever features you want in this manner...

Also, I saw in the wilton 2003 year book a family tree cake made of cupcakes. You may want to look there. I personally didn't make that one because I would have had to make too many cupcakes and it was too much of a pain to transport...

Good luck and post a picture when you are done...

Anat

BeckySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeckySue Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:59am
post #6 of 10

I made one for my aunt when she turned 75. You could do the same thing with a "102" on top. Here is the link:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=74392

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:03am
post #7 of 10

If you are familiar with fondant, here is a cake I did for a 85 old lady, the numbers are from a wilton set of little number pans.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=158863

indigojods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indigojods Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:14am
post #8 of 10

My grandmother-in-law turned 100 in March and I had the honor of making her cake. She loves pink and roses so here is the cake that I made. It was really simple, but she and her daughters all cried when they saw it:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=301323

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:19am
post #9 of 10

Oh how exciting. No one in my family has lived to be 100 or over. God Bless her!

I think I would make her a castle cake and tell that she will always be the queen of the family.

Paintedlady201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paintedlady201 Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 6:26am
post #10 of 10

I didn't make the cake, but here's a pic of the cake my sister made for my grandma's 100th birthday. Excuse the color running--it was August and the cake had just come out of the fridge and was sitting outside in the heat.[img]Image[/img]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%