Just How Many Darn Tastings Are Required???? (Long Rant)

Decorating By KayDay Updated 16 Jul 2007 , 5:24am by GI

ccaluda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccaluda Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 11:38pm
post #31 of 112

How about this->

Instead of making a cake, make batch of petit fours. Give the moocher a single petit four to sample. When he asks for more give him a wide-eyed look and tell him they are for a school bake sale. But quickly add that you would be happy to sell them to him for 75 cents each and give his donation to the school.

icon_evil.gif

julesn20716 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesn20716 Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 12:16am
post #32 of 112

I totally agree - no more freebies. The nerve of some people!

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 2:22pm
post #33 of 112

OMG...you guys have made me forget about the problem...I was reading those posts and laughing till I cried! And I did kinda "kick him in the head" metaphorically if not literally. I emailed and told him that it was customary to provide samples until the customer found one they liked and rejected the others....and that after that ...it was a cake order.

I also explained that I have done tastings ( actually only one where they didnt come back they got a fam. member to do the cakes) and not got the customer...and he was kinda apologetic and said he just couldnt remember which icing he had preferred but that they were locked in with me as far as the job which made me feel better. It is a 1,000.00 job so I guess Ill bend that extra lil bit and let him sample cake again too...since I actually am already gonna be baking today anyway and do have some of his particular type of frosting made up already.

Thanks for the laughs guys...it made me ease up a lot and just go send that email when I normally would have just stewed about it.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 2:26pm
post #34 of 112

As long as he redemed himself a little bit, and you have extra already around, I guess he is allowed a little cakey. But NONE to take home!

icon_wink.gif

captrick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
captrick Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 2:38pm
post #35 of 112

The post about the Petite Fours absolutely CRACKED ME UP! icon_lol.gif I could just see you handing him a little tiny square of cake...."Here's your sample...we go to bite sized after the initial tasting..." LMBO

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 4:56pm
post #36 of 112

What a baking slut! Giving in that easily! (I am seriously just kidding!)

You're doing the right thing. He probaly respects you more as a business person for sticking up for youself.

Congrats on the big cake order! Have fun!!

-Sherri

gailsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gailsgoodies Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:24pm
post #37 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessyBaker

What a baking slut! Giving in that easily! (I am seriously just kidding!)

Stop! I'm dying here!! ROFLMAO!!!! icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

KayDay Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 3:50am
post #38 of 112

lmao..I am SERIOUSLY giving him a tiny piece...tho... bout this big

~~~> ( )

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 3:11pm
post #39 of 112

Hey - I'm having family over this weekend - Could I have a sample of your cake???

charge the stupid guy!!!

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 3:27pm
post #40 of 112

How about a fork with a piece of cake on the end of it?/

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 3:28pm
post #41 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetResults

How about a fork with a piece of cake on the end of it?/

LOL!!! Try not to stab him on accident with it though! icon_lol.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 3:30pm
post #42 of 112

OMG, I just love threads like these! You guys have me rolling for sure!

Hehehehe... she called you cake slut!! I love it! I am sort of one of those. If I get five minutes of spare time I bake a freebie for someone!

But seriously, I think it's a real testament to your cakerage that some guy is having... um... 'moist thoughts' about your chocolate cake! I could really go for a slice!

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 3:50pm
post #43 of 112

You guys are crazy. I really needed this laugh this morning.

Thank you,

icing_fever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icing_fever Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 3:52pm
post #44 of 112

Only here will they make cake "DIRTY"..... I love it icon_wink.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:29pm
post #45 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by icing_fever

Only here will they make cake "DIRTY"..... I love it icon_wink.gif

No, no, no... not "dirty"... "SENSUAL" icon_lol.gif

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:32pm
post #46 of 112

You guys are so funny. I'm glad you found a nice way to tell him where to go.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:41pm
post #47 of 112

A baking slut?!?!?! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif OMG that's hilarious.

I am glad that you got it all sorted out. I charge a tasting fee and also take it off the top of the order if they decide to have me make their cake. It saves me from eating the cost if they don't order through me.

Baking slut.. still laughing.. LOL!

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:47pm
post #48 of 112

Does that make our customers our "cake johns????" icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Oh, my this thread has gotten waaaaaaay off course.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 4:50pm
post #49 of 112

I have a two year old in my house that we all need to take lessons from.

Say, no, no, no, nope, no no, no no, no, no, no, no, and nope.

If that doesn't work then try his other favorite word, mine, mine, mine, mine. No mine!

icing_fever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icing_fever Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 6:05pm
post #50 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sdae

Does that make our customers our "cake johns????" icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Oh, my this thread has gotten waaaaaaay off course.

-Too Funny!!!! Exuse me while I giggle icon_lol.gif

KayDay Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 7:19pm
post #51 of 112

He is gone! He paid half down as a deposit.... and he got teeny lil slivers of cake....it was so darn funny. He once again proclaimed his love for said cake gobbled it up and then proceeded to scarf two huge wedding cake shaped cookies... his fiance' didnt get to try them even...lol...he did comment that the samples got awfully small... I just smiled and said "Yes". You know how we cake sluts are....muahahaha!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 8 Jun 2007 , 7:27pm
post #52 of 112

Well I'm glad it went well, he may call back later and order another cake. I sure he won't be able to wait till the wedding.

buttercreamkisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercreamkisses Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 12:57am
post #53 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecastle

Most places I know of charge a tasting fee, but if you order from them then that fee comes off the price of the cake. Makes sense to me...or people could just set up appointments to "eat" cake for free all the time without ever intending to place an order. I would definately charge him for it!

I can envision it now -"For our fist date I thought we'd pretend to be getting married and go try some cake, after we'll go feed the ducks."

woodyfam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodyfam Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 1:13am
post #54 of 112

You're giving him a piece.....

for free!!!

I am even blushing as I write this. Had to delete several naughty thoughts. I just can't bring myself to post those yet. We have to get to know each other better first icon_smile.gif.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 3:08am
post #55 of 112

The samples given out at our local bakery are cakes that were not picked up or were made of incorrect flavors, etc.
Waste not, might get an order...

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 3:21am
post #56 of 112

I guess I'm the only one here who found it offensive not to mention UNPROFESSIONAL that kayday's assistant referred to a client (whether behind his back or to his face) as a fat a$$. How much is he paying you for his cake Kayday?

justapieceacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justapieceacake Posted 10 Jun 2007 , 3:47am
post #57 of 112

Hi.. I agree with what everyone has said. A nice way to put it is ... I would be happy to make a cake for you to sample again. If you would like to pick it up the price is ----- or if you would like my assistant to deliver it to your home the price including delivery is ----- try to do it over an email rather than the phone... he will rethink it or... you may get another delivery of a cake.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 4:01am
post #58 of 112

You can catch this customer on the next edition of Taxicab Cake Confessions.

KayDay Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 5:08am
post #59 of 112

I am being WAY underpaid FYI JoAnn.....however the amount paid (1000.00 for the cake + 200 wedding cookies if you read ALL the posts in this thread I had mentioned the cost ) for a service in no way entitles someone to be rude and pushy and demanding and greedy..and he has been all of these things plus terribly rude and deserving of far worse than what my assistant said. He is getting a great bargain on this work. I am normally very professional as is my assistant...however there are occasionally those people that we contract a job with that dont behave very nicely .......and we do not have to LIKE everyone that we work with. I find it refreshing to vent here to people whom are in the business ....deal with it or dont read my posts. As far as I am concerned it was only said among friends in a joking manner. I am done with it. icon_smile.gif

Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 11 Jun 2007 , 7:09am
post #60 of 112

And it is a 2-way street of course - customers go away and comment on us and we just call that 'being human'.

In another business I remember sitting in a first floor office overlooking client parking directly below, windows wide open as it was a warm day, hearing a couple really letting rip about me in none too complimentary terms! (and I was a big-bottomed girl then and they used the term 'lard-ar*e' quite liberally.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%