Frosting Canvas

Decorating By kloc Updated 20 Jul 2006 , 11:22am by kloc

kloc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kloc Posted 20 Jul 2006 , 1:41am
post #1 of 6

I'd like to make a canvas to decorate before I bake the cake and then put it on the cake and put a border around the canvas. I think that edible image frosting sheets are probably too fragile to use tubes with a lot of icing on. I'm sure that a sugar or frosting sheet exists, I would like to know how to make or, purchase it.

5 replies
petitesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitesweet Posted 20 Jul 2006 , 2:26am
post #2 of 6

Welcome to CC! I see this is your first post. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to help you with this, but will give you a bump.

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 20 Jul 2006 , 2:39am
post #3 of 6

I would think you could use the same sheets that are used for edible images, you'd have to order them of course, but I'm assuming you can paint on them with icing colors instead of using KopyKake ink, right?

lilypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilypie Posted 20 Jul 2006 , 2:44am
post #4 of 6

would it work if you painted on a piece of rolled out fondant? you could cut it to the size & shape you wanted, then paint it. I think that would work...

I_Love_Cake_Decorating Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
I_Love_Cake_Decorating Posted 20 Jul 2006 , 3:05am
post #5 of 6

I've made a canvas out of gumpaste (dries to hard to be edible), and one made of color flow (edible) & another out of fondant (edible). Gumpaste method (most sturdy): Roll out a sheet of gumpaste and trim down to the size needed - let dry until hardened (couple days) - you can made a frame around this with royal icing. I've even antiqued the frame with edible gold. After all is dried. You have your canvas to paint with airbrush, icing, edible pens, gel food color diluted with vodka or everclear (the alcohol makes the paint dry faster) or dilute gel food color with water (use very sparingly, as to not soften the gumpaste). Color Flow method: Make a pattern for the desired frame on paper - place on a cardboard and tape wax paper on top of your pattern. Use color flow full strength to outline your frame on the wax paper, then fill in with diluted color flow. Let dry (overnight). Also, made a canvas out of fondant (using the same method as for gumpaste) -- was in a hurry and did not wait for it to dry. Turned out great!!!

kloc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kloc Posted 20 Jul 2006 , 11:22am
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much for your thoughts and quick replies. I had thought about fondant but thougfht that it might be a little too elastic. The gum past seems very promising. I have a good deal of it. Thanks! I'll check bac.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%