Store A Large Cake?

Decorating By Carolinacakegirl Updated 19 Jul 2006 , 9:21pm by SugarFrosted

Carolinacakegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolinacakegirl Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 12:25am
post #1 of 7

I'm planning on making my mom a castle cake with some height for either Saturday or Sunday. Any ideas on how to store it? I have a small child and know I won't be able to assemble it right before we have my mom's party. I need to do it ahead of time. Help.

6 replies
SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 9:00am
post #2 of 7

I use clear plastic Rubbermaid storage boxes, you know, the bins you put everything in. They come in a variety of sizes. I use the ones 6" deep for regular cake boxes. My customers bring them back to me every time. But in your case, you need the one that is 11" or 15" deep. I flip them over so that the lid becomes the base. The large ones I use, all the heights/depths, will hold up to a half sheet cake...my boards are about 14x20 or so. The small ones will hold a quarter sheet cake, the boards are about 11x15. My clients love these boxes because they keep the cake fresh for a very long time, unlike cardboard boxes which absorb the moisture away from the cake and make it dry. Does this make sense?

I hope this helps.

Carolinacakegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolinacakegirl Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for your help. That's the best advice I've had in a long time. I have some big clear boxes like that upstairs. This has helped more than you know and know I will use this one for a long time. Thanks again.

SugarFrosted Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 7

btw...Hello and Welcome to CC, Carolinacakegirl! You are gonna love it here icon_smile.gif

ajay0665 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajay0665 Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 8:35pm
post #5 of 7

What a GREAT idea Sugarfrosted. I am surpised I didn't think of that before...since I have used my Tupperware bowls the same way- top is base and bowl is lid. I love it.

I have a similar situation..need to make a cake for my sister's 50th. Unfortunately, I have to work 2 hours from home that day so I will get to the party VERY late. I was wondering how box up the cake for her husband to pick up.

AGain, great idea.

BakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeQueen Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 9:05pm
post #6 of 7

I would also like to thank you for the storage tip as well. I would have never thought to use those boxes. Great idea!!!

SugarFrosted Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 9:21pm
post #7 of 7

Y'all (oh! my! my Southern is showing!) are very welcome! I am so happy to have had something worthwhile to contribute!

I have Rubbermaid storage box/cake boxes which are almost 20 years old, from when I first began cake decorating. They still look fine, though a few scuffs here and there. Show me a cardboard box with that much staying power! They do cost a fair bit when you first buy them but quickly pay for themselves. I should buy stock in Rubbermaid, because my house is full of those boxes, for storage as well as for cakes.

One other reason I ,and all my client-moms, love these boxes: little eyes can look at the cake, but little fingers cannot touch! That has saved many a cake from a curious child.

Also, my husband cuts 1/2" plywood boards for me, to fit the boxes. He rounds the edges and sands them for me too. I cover the boards with white plastic Contact, and then with heavy duty foil. Very sturdy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%