Wedding Cake...how Many Slices Do You Give Them For Free??

Decorating By kjb Updated 6 Jun 2007 , 4:03pm by Housemouse

kjb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjb Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 7

Okay so now I am in panic mode...I have aggreed to make my very first wedding cake... the cake needs to serve 200 guests. I have decided to use the plates and hidden pillars for this 4 tiered cake. I assume when using the hidden pillars I will loose 4-6 servings per cake...right?

Also, I can not find a site that lists how many extra servings I am supposed to supply the bride and groom, for last minute guests or what ever...is there wedding cake etiquitte for this? Or do I just give them the number of slices that they have paid for? I don't want to seem stingy but I am already realizing how VERY expensive wedding cakes are to make.

I would love to know what you all think!

Thanks in advance!

Kim

6 replies
ch0psuey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ch0psuey Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 7

I haven't ever heard of giving them cake for free. I believe it's normal to provide them with the number of servings they ask (and pay) for!

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 7

I do not charge for the top tier and give that as a gift for the couple to enjoy on their honeymoon or first anniversary.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 7

As far as I'm aware, there is no rule about about much extra cake you are "suppose" to supply for free. And no wedding I've ever gone to ever had MORE people show up (wait..... I did have one but that's a different ranting thread!) ..... most of them have fewer people show up. If they pay for 100, you need to provide at least 100.

I tend to round mine. For a wedding for 100, I use a 14/10/6 or 8, which is 110 servings per the Wilton serving chart (which is what I go by). The top tier is not counted in the servings since it's the anniversary tier. So the 14 and the 10 serve 110, but I charge them for 100.

Dont' worry about losing only 4 or 6 servings ..... no one has a 100% show rate at a wedding.

kjb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjb Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 9:38pm
post #5 of 7

thanks so much for your imput!!!

Kim

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 3:40am
post #6 of 7

None. I do not give away cake. They get what they pay for. There is no wedding "ettiquette" rule that requires vendors (including bakers/cake decorators) to give away product.

Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 4:03pm
post #7 of 7

But suspect we all know of a few a brides who'd like to introduce that little rule!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%