What Size Cake Pan Is This Bottom Tier?

Decorating By kthomas Updated 19 Jul 2006 , 2:43am by Doug

kthomas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kthomas Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 3:28am
post #1 of 11

Hi y'all,

A bride has emailed me a picture of this wedding cake she found at the amycakes.com website. What size would you say the bottom (square) tier of this cake is? To me, each cake tier looks so beautiful and tall, do you think it is a 14x3 inch cake pan with about 3/4 to 1 inch of icing on the top?

I have been looking at this cake for about 30 minutes trying to figure it out - any help would be great, thanks!
LL

10 replies
dinkadoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinkadoo Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 3:44am
post #2 of 11

My guess is that it is 2 14x2 inch square cakes stacked. I'm not positive, but that's my guess.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 11:40am
post #3 of 11

it looks to have a minimum border of 1 inch on each side between edge and round tier...

so... if the top tier is the traditional 6 inch

and the next tier has the same 1 inch border that makes the middle tier 8" (add 6" + 1' +1" = 8" or size of cake on top + border X 2)

and then the square would be 10 inch (diameter=width)
so we get

now if it's a two inch border (more traditional for wedding and more room for decorations)

then it's

HOMEWORK: if were asked to make a wedding cake w/ a traditional 6" aniiversary tier on top, three teir tall and the birdezilla had these oversize flowers for the cake that would require a 3" border, what would the sizes of the middle and bottom tiers be? Your answer is: --?--

LeeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeAnn Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 11:49am
post #4 of 11

I would have said 6 8 10, I always make my cake thick 3" but after being at partys with my cake i am thinking thinner is more practical to cut especially with fruit as you need to cut sufficient not to crumble and then a decent thickness

eilers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eilers Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 12:04pm
post #5 of 11

I would say that they are 4 inches tall & I think the top one looks a bit bigger than 6 inches maybe 7 or 8, so 8 - 11 - 14 ??
It's a gorgeous cake with amazing edges... good luck with it!

ps Doug my answer is 6 - 9 - 12 is this a trick question!!!

kthomas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kthomas Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 2:35pm
post #6 of 11

thank you for your help! I appreciate it :0)

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 11:35pm
post #7 of 11

I think I am more in line with the 14" square on the bottom. Have you tried emailing the person who made the cake? They may be happy to help you with the sizes used.

Doug-My Answer is to Steer clear of that Bridezilla... however if you really want the math done...6-12-18

Doug Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 11:40pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

Doug-My Answer is to Steer clear of that Bridezilla... however if you really want the math done...6-12-18

lol ... so true re: bridezilla!

and we have a winner (of what I have no clue)

Leily!!!!! party.gif

has answered correctly!!

(that would be some cake now wouldn't it!)

anoldhippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anoldhippy Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 2:26am
post #9 of 11

Doug-You never seize to bring a icon_smile.gif to my face or a thumbs_up.gif to your answers for all the questions, you are such a sweetie...will you marry me icon_rolleyes.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 2:30am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

lol ... so true re: bridezilla!

and we have a winner (of what I have no clue)

Leily!!!!! party.gif

has answered correctly!!

(that would be some cake now wouldn't it!)

You mean I don't even win a cookie? I would even take a slice of cake (not the whole one that wouldn't be good for me!)... I'll even make it easy and no icing icon_lol.gif just the cake please!

LOL... I can't imagine a cake like this... I think the only way it would look good or halfway decent is to have 5 or 6 inch tall tiers

Leily

Doug Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 2:43am
post #11 of 11

well, kind of hard to push a cake across the internet...last time i tried had a big mess of crumbs on the screen.

so here's some "virtual cake" birthday.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%