White Layer And Chocolate Layer Together In One Tier?

Decorating By cabincake Updated 6 Jun 2007 , 5:27am by kimberlina25

cabincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabincake Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 24

Does anyone put a white layer and a chocolate layer together, how does it look? Does it look neat, or like you ran out of one of the other cake ingredients icon_biggrin.gif ?

23 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 24

I've never done it, but I've seen lots of pics of different flavors in the same tier. It's pretty cool looking!

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 24

I have done it with vanilla cake and strawberry cake. So it was white, then pink, white, etc=) Delicious together and pretty when cut! Jen

Edited for typos icon_biggrin.gif

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 24

I never tried it but I would like to!

I think it would look fine, go for it!

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 24

We do this all the time at the restaurant/bakery where I work! Be sure to put the chocolate layer on the bottom so that you have less crumbs to fight with when icing the cake. I just did three cakes like this last week!!

cabincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabincake Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 7:03pm
post #6 of 24

ooh thanks, I think I'll try it.

christielee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christielee Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 7:30pm
post #7 of 24

I made one the last month like that. It was a white cake and a chocolate cake put togetherwith a complimentry filling. I did the rich vaniila pudding filling with choc. chips!

eieio1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eieio1234 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 9:42pm
post #8 of 24

I am FLOORED to see this topic! Just this morning I took a cake order and she wants a layer of chocolate and a layer of white cake!!!!!!!!! I thought that was so odd! I kept clarifying and telling her I could do HALF chocolate and HALF white but she said no, she wants them both in each slice! It's so unconventional I'm thinking the people at the party will think I messed it up!!! I find it so strange, but she's paying so white and chocolate layers it will be!!! LOL!

drwendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drwendy Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 1:59am
post #9 of 24

Isn't that sort of the same as those funky cake pans that look like a target shape, and then when you put it together it's a checkerboard on each slice? Sounds like the same concept. I say, go for it....it's cake, how bad can it be?

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 2:11am
post #10 of 24

I was going to do a neapolitan cake for my niece with white, strawberry, and chocolate. Opted not to do the chocolate because the cake would have been too tall. But I did the white and strawberry. It was very good and very pretty when cut. I torted the cakes so each layer was about 1 inch thick.

She loved it!

mscorliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mscorliss Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 2:24am
post #11 of 24

I guess I am not understanding. Do you layer the different cake mixes in the pan, or do you swirl them after you put them in or what?

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 2:27am
post #12 of 24

mscorliss- you layer them AFTER they are baked and cooled! It's neat way to get different tastes in one bite!!

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 2:29am
post #13 of 24

What I have done with chocolate and white in one tier is torte the cakes so I have 4 layers for the tier and starting from the bottom do
chocolate-white-chocolate-white...so white is on the top...then I do a good crumb coat (I use SMBC) which always seals in the crumbs..chill it and then ice anyway you like..it looks good when cut and doesn't look as though there was any mistake.

GIAcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIAcakes Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 2:31am
post #14 of 24

I get many requests for this, I call it a zebra cake. I have also heard it referred to as a tuxedo cake.

Cheesefairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheesefairy Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 2:32am
post #15 of 24

I just do cakes for friends and family, but I usually do one yellow layer and one chocolate layer so people can have both flavors. It wasn't the cleanest slicing job and my buttercream dam went too far in, but here's a picture I have of a cross section of one.
LL

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 2:33am
post #16 of 24

You guys read my mind. I was planning on doing this exact thing for a western themed cake for school next week.

Who ever said "great minds think alike" was right on!!

kbochick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbochick Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 3:05am
post #17 of 24

Yup, I've done it a couple of times with chocolate and WASC. Very pretty, and very yummy. icon_smile.gif Like JaneK said, I bake them, then torte them when they cool. Only instead of putting the chocolate back on the chocolate, I put it on the white. I usually have either 3 or 4 layers in each tier, depending on how think my layers are.

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 3:25am
post #18 of 24

ive done it too!
LL

prettysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettysweet Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 3:41am
post #19 of 24

I've done a wedding cake with a layer of chocolate and one of white for my brother's wedding. It was a big hit with everyone.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 4:17am
post #20 of 24

I did this for my easter egg cakes this year and it was a nice surprise that everyone at the party liked. I personally don't like the flavors marbled together, however having them in the same slice was nice. I got quite a few nice comments on it.

alwayscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alwayscake Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 4:47am
post #21 of 24

Here another one...
LL

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 5:01am
post #22 of 24

I can't believe I came across this thread! I just got a wedding cake order for October for centerpiece cakes, and the bride and groom want each cake to be one layer white, one layer chocolate. I've never gotten a request for this before, and it's so timely that I read this thread tonight!! icon_biggrin.gif

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 5:03am
post #23 of 24

I forgot to add, yes I put down a layer of strawberry, vanilla, strawberry, vanilla after I baked and torted the cakes. It gave me a beautiful 4 layer cake with the pretty layers inside.

kimberlina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlina25 Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 5:27am
post #24 of 24

this is so weird! just a couple of days ago i had this same question. I had planned to do 2 layers of chocolate for bottom tier, one of them broke. so trying to improvise, i ended up doing white and chocolate in same tier. I was so afraid it would look tacky, like i ran out of chocolate or something. everyone who ate the cake said that they LOVED the white and chocolate together. PHEW! that worked out afterall thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%