How Many? Need Information Now Please!!!!

Decorating By loncake Updated 5 Jun 2007 , 5:07pm by indydebi

loncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loncake Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 12

I have a cake due in a couple of days, just got the order, and this is my first sheet cake, it is a full sheet (12x1icon_cool.gif so how many boxes of cake mix would go in it? I'm using Duncan Hines. I want it to be really full, because I am not making 2 layers. so it needs to be (after baked) 3 inches high. Also how many cups of buttercream would be needed to cover the cake? Thank you sooo much for you help, I have to go shopping tonight so I really need information quick.

THANKS

11 replies
weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 3:18pm
post #2 of 12

I would say 4 or 5. I know it takes two just to fill a 14" pan full so you might even need more than that!

pmw109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmw109 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 12

I'm not sure, but I'm thinking you are going to need at least 6-8 mixes.

danar217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danar217 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 3:24pm
post #4 of 12

If I remember correctly I used 3 mixes with the cake extender recipe on this site. (sorry, don't know how to do a link)

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 12

Sorry I don't use that size pan--but I just wanted to remind you your going to need a couple of flower nails in there thumbs_up.gif

selahmycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
selahmycat Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 3:25pm
post #6 of 12

A 12 X 18 is a 1/2 sheet cake, and I always use 3 mixes. It brings the cake right up to the top with a little extra for leveling. I use the Wilton recipe for buttercreme, and it takes 2 - double recipies.
Hope this help!

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 3:27pm
post #7 of 12

I use 3 mixes for that size. That is actually a half sheet cake size as selahmycat mentioned.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 3:30pm
post #8 of 12

I use that pan ALL the time and DH mixes it's 3 and it's full to the brim if you bake at 325, and it comes ALL the way to the top. Have fun!!!! Matter of fact the three Graduate cake I just did this past weekend is in my photos was that pan with 3 mixes.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 4:32pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by debster

I use that pan ALL the time and DH mixes it's 3 and it's full to the brim if you bake at 325, and it comes ALL the way to the top. Have fun!!!! Matter of fact the three Graduate cake I just did this past weekend is in my photos was that pan with 3 mixes.

For your sheet cakes do you do 2 layers? I'm making one this weekend and don't know if i should do 2 layers. My pan is 2" high.

Thanks!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 4:55pm
post #10 of 12

3 mixes ..... baking strips .... 325 degrees .... single layer

loncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loncake Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 5:01pm
post #11 of 12

Oh also I am using the buttercream dream recipe and it does not say how much it makes

2 sticks butter
1 cup shortening
2lb powdered sugar
2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
5-6 tablespoons of milk

if anyone knows how many cups this will make please fill me in THANKS

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 5:07pm
post #12 of 12

I never go by cups .... I use less than one 2-lb bag of sugar per cake mix. For a 3-mix cake, I'd use two 2-lb bags of sugar and usually have some left over, depending on the design (iced with border ..... less. Iced with border and 37 roses ..... more).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%